• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Let's talk winter!

Steve

ILN updated to add a slight chance of snow through the morning.  It's definitely further south than what models and forecasts had it.  Hopefully this is a good omen for a surprising shift further south with wave #2.  Even if not, recent runs would be a good 3-4" for most of us.

I noticed that too. ILN did the same thing this morning with the skiff of snow that came through this morning.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for records sake, here are the top 5 coldest highs and lows for Columbus all-time.  Next week's cold looks like a potential top 5 or top 10 event.

Highs

2/9/1899: -7

1/20/1985: -5

1/3/1879: -4

1/10/1982: -4

1/15/1893: -3

2/8/1895: -2

1/17/1977: -2

Lows

1/19/1994: -22

1/3/1879: -20

1/6/1884: -20

2/10/1899: -20

1/17/1977: -19

1/20/1985: -19

2/9/1899: -17

12/22/1989: -17

1/18/1994: -17

1/5/1884: -16

1/22/1936: -16

1/17/1982: -16

1/21/1984: -16

1/21/1985: -16

And the top 5 coldest January highs and lows.

Highs

1/20/1985: -5

1/3/1879: -4

1/10/1982: -4

1/15/1893: -3

1/17/1977: -2

1/6/1884: -1

1/8/1970: -1

1/19/1994: -1

All the coldest January lows are also in the coldest all-time lows.

Wow, it almost made zero on 1/19/1994, sandwiched between -17 and -22.

that seems like a very generous temp recording.  I recall January 19,1994 very well.   I lived in a suburb west of Columbus and that day no one went to work because their cars couldn't start....(no garage condo units).   I remember that the high temp never got above -7 on my thermometer which was pretty accurate.

that seems like a very generous temp recording.  I recall January 19,1994 very well.   I lived in a suburb west of Columbus and that day no one went to work because their cars couldn't start....(no garage condo units).   I remember that the high temp never got above -7 on my thermometer which was pretty accurate.

I always wonder about erroneous readings when I see something like that.

High occurred very late in the day

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCMH/1994/1/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=KCMH&req_state=OH&req_statename=Ohio

Duh. What was I thinking? The -1 wouldn't be sandwiched, it would be after 1/19 low. Interesting that on the 18th, they had a midnight high of 0, with falling temps throughout the day.

I remember that 94 cold snap very well too. My wife was pregnant with our 3rd child and due on the 20th. I was bringing our VW Vanagon battery inside every night to be sure it would start. Pretty stressful stuff. Our daughter was born on the 22nd and I recall it being warmer by then. At least now I have an attached garage and a Eurovan I'm fairly certain will start in that kind of cold. Oh, and my wife is not pregnant, lol.

I wasn't in Columbus on January 19th, 1994, but Bellefontaine.  The high there that day was -13.  It's hard to believe that the airport, not even the most urban location in the city, got up to -1 that day, especially in the worst arctic outbreak of all time.  Lesser outbreaks have given colder highs.

In the book "Thunder in the Heartland," a book about Ohio's historical weather, the author, Schmidlin, considers that the January 19, 1994 cold event was the coldest morning in Ohio history. More areas were below -20 in Ohio than in the great cold day of 1899. (February 13, 1899???) (correct me if I am wrong.)  I remember it well.

Good luck to you central OH guys. Some of the models  give you over 2" of snow.

In the book "Thunder in the Heartland," a book about Ohio's historical weather, the author, Schmidlin, considers that the January 19, 1994 cold event was the coldest morning in Ohio history. More areas were below -20 in Ohio than in the great cold day of 1899. (February 13, 1899???) (correct me if I am wrong.)  I remember it well.

You're correct about 1994.  It's considered the worst of the worst.

2" for when? Tonight and tomorrow?   For the storm on Sunday seems to still be in the air.

the core of the cold settled in southeastern OH.  There were unconfirmed reports of -40 f in some of the valleys of the hocking hills.   GGEM shows -30c 2m making it to Columbus at hr 168.    (about -22 f)

You're correct about 1994.  It's considered the worst of the worst.

2" for when? Tonight and tomorrow?   For the storm on Sunday seems to still be in the air.

maybe he meant to say 2'...lol.   Actually the JMA shows about 2'+ from west side of Columbus thru eastern IN. Very similar to Dec.04. 

Which implies a foot+ for the rest of the city?  And it's the JMA.

yea that's about right....regarding the JMA.   Btw, the euro ensembles bring the low somewhere through between central and eastern KY and then to around buffalo.   Very close call for cmh.    NO matter what I do think we....worst case scenario...changeover to snow if we start as rain.   As you said in another post, it's very rare to bring in the kind of cold the models are showing with nothing but flurries and bare ground.   I don't ever recall that.  Every extreme cold outbreak with a storm preceding it, had at the very least a changeover to accumulating snow.    Now hopefully I didn't just jinx us.

Haven't seen the AFD yet, but the new zone forecasts still call for snow and rain on Sunday with highs of 15 on Monday and around 0 on Tuesday.  Lows around zero to -5 both days.  The high would be one of the coldest on record, but a high and low around the same doesn't seem right at all, and certainly doesn't match the cold models have now.  I know they have time to trend it down from now, but still.

Edit... It just came out.  It's kind of meh on everything.  They are clearly leaning more toward the Euro for the Sunday storm with snow changing to rain with a "few inches" to the north.  And they don't have a lot to say as to the potential extremity of the cold afterwards. 

maybe he meant to say 2'...lol.   Actually the JMA shows about 2'+ from west side of Columbus thru eastern IN. Very similar to Dec.04. 

I was talking about the much more forecast-able near term- like 1 to 3" tomorrow.   After that, there seems to be so much uncertainty that anything is possible, perhaps even heavy snow on the 5th-6th.

The 18z NAM is a bit juicier with .29" at CMH. That seems a bit high although the Euro has .26". Blending models, I'll be running with a .20" QPF. I might only go 1-3"  here to account for any locations that receive just under 2" (maybe I'm a bit gun shy after the past few systems barely got into my lower end range).

Normally I would have completely wrote off Sunday at this point. I mean how many times have we seen the Euro go west while the GFS refuses to until the last minute? Well the interesting thing here is the GEM still clobbers us and I think the Euro ensembles may be a touch southeast of the operational. It's still close enough that even the Euro could shift back in our favor. That being said, I'm sticking to my forecast I made yesterday which was rain/snow changing to snow Sunday evening. At this point, I'm not super optimistic on accumulation for Cincy/Cbus but we'll see.

Still epic cold showing up for next week. I'll be lowering my forecast low for tues down below 0 especially if we get some light snow Monday to coat the ground.

the core of the cold settled in southeastern OH.  There were unconfirmed reports of -40 f in some of the valleys of the hocking hills.   GGEM shows -30c 2m making it to Columbus at hr 168.    (about -22 f)

Several reports of -40 or colder in southeast OH between Cambridge and Marietta.  Most thermometers stopped at -40 and I had family reporting that the thermometer was off the scale.  Crazy cold!

ILN just updated,3-5 now. Here we go again! It seems 2 b the trend this yr. Up the totals only to get 1/2 of what is predicted.

Have to admit..the radar does look decent to our west and south...and I still don't think our local mets have a grasp on how cold it may get..their coming around a bit,but not like models are showing!!

Archived