• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Let's talk winter!

Steve

Canadian still far NW... maybe the farthest north yet.  Rain for Indy and approaching Lafayette.

expected because of the rgem which is basically it's short range version.    We are basically boiling down to the ggem/nam vs. uk/gfs/nogaps/     euro 12z will probably tell the tale.   I'm also curious to see the gefs....even though the spread should be minimal at this range it might help focus things as well.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS has the low between Portsmouth and Circleville at 36 hours with the 850 line on top of i71.    Compared to the 12z gfs that might be a tick nw.  

I'll make my official last do or die call after the euro comes in.    Right now I'm liking a track right over us or slightly east.   That may help us to changeover quicker and re-establish a modest snowcover, prefrontal passage.

...or it may dry slot the hell out of us

GEFS has the low between Portsmouth and Circleville at 36 hours with the 850 line on top of i71.    Compared to the 12z gfs that might be a tick nw.  

I'll make my official last do or die call after the euro comes in.    Right now I'm liking a track right over us or slightly east.   That may help us to changeover quicker and re-establish a modest snowcover, prefrontal passage.

...or it may dry slot the hell out of us

Yeah, dry slot would suck. 

Is there anything worse than going from temps in the single digits, to rain, then back below zero temps with no snow on the ground? This flat out blows.

you almost have to laugh.  It really is an amazing scenario.  I mean we've had rain after below zero weather but it usually is warming up.   To have rain sandwiched 24 hours between a significant cold snap and a historic cold snap makes my head want to explode.

The pipes in older homes are in trouble with no snow cover and temps of -15.

exactly, I'm seriously going to put a heater in my crawl space.   My desire for snowcover isn't just because I like snow, it's becaue the thought of -15 or -20 with bare ground is frightening.   Snow is an amazing insulator for dormant plants, the ground in general.

exactly, I'm seriously going to put a heater in my crawl space.   My desire for snowcover isn't just because I like snow, it's becaue the thought of -15 or -20 with bare ground is frightening.   Snow is an amazing insulator for dormant plants, the ground in general.

Yeah, exactly.  Time to pray for the ultimate weenie life boat...backlash snow :)

Thanks buckeye, I remember March 2008 and the models were so close to a huge snow for us over here and instead I got 24 hours of virga why Louisville, Dayton and you got crushed.

yup, we've all been on both sides of this.    We need the sucky misses to enjoy the hits.    That being said, models never have the final say....hoping for a minor surprise or two.    December '04 was being written off the night before as a sloppy rain/mix here and that front pushed harder than expected and when I woke up it was snowing here and places in Indiana sat high, dry, and frigid.   Granted that was an extreme exception, but all I want is a surprise in the backlash dept and I'll be happy at this point.    :drunk:

So do you think this will be a close call for Columbus, mostly rain, or a good snow event?

about 6 hours of light rain, possibly starting as some sleet mix, ending as a rapid, brief change over to heavy windy snow...but only briefly, (like a couple of hours).   That brief changeover is really our only hope to lay down something.

I expect ILN will drop the wsw for all their counties except their Indiana counties and far western counties.  I imagine they'll hoist wwa by tonight or tomorrow morning for all their counties for tomorrow evening and night, mainly due to flash freezing, wind, and light snow accums.

That's all I got :)

Archived