• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Let's talk winter!

Steve

Ok...not sure if my weather bug app is acting up and also accuweather...both show my temp here at 17 degrees with a wind from the NNE..I am puzzled!! :axe:http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/newark-oh/43055/current-weather/330114..Thinking it is just messed up!!

That's what Newark airport is reporting.  Definitely some radiational cooling in spots.  Lancaster is 14.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys,

I've got some question. You all know that I'm a weenie, so bear with me.

Question #1:

Is snow cover over-rated? Thursdays forecast in Dayton was for 1-3" snow. We received 5-6".

Question #2: is the nature of Arctic Air, along with the radiation all cooling assisted by snow cover, too shallow. Too easily displaced by torches like today?

#3: Does the moderate cold (upper teens, 20s), mix better i the upper atmosphere, therefore providing better environment for snow production?

Last one:

Will this busted storm - which now resembles a Lakes Cutter - lessen the probability of the impending Artic outbreak?

Talk to me.

I'm on the ledge, and I can learn something on the way down :-)

Just watching the low form and tracking the front (nothing better to do)... it looks like it's still not turned north, but still heading southeast.  There's an area of surface low pressure in southeast Oklahoma and another around Dallas.  The one in Oklahoma should be the main low, as that's what's been modeled.  The cold front runs from about the finger of Michigan southwest to Gary to just north of St. Louis down to just west of Ft. Smith and then down around Dallas. 

Good points. Local TV Mets are rarely from the area and lack the knowledge and experience.

That, plus the added pressure to achieve huge ratings via severe weather hype, can blow up on them. - and it did today.

Check out Facebook comments about the weather forecasters. Brutal

As I get older,i find my self not liking to drive in the snow.. or liking the real cold weather unless it's historic in nature..Still love snow and a good snowstorm...but it's starting to get to me that we seem to miss all the biggies!! It rerally pees me off!! Looks to get warm this coming weekend!! :axe:  :bag:

Even the cold doesn't look that impressive now.  Yes it will be very cold, but nothing like it was showing a few days ago.  And worse, it won't even show up in the records, as we'll have a midnight high for Tuesday, likely in the 30s.  What looked like a historic double-punch ended up being a 50 degree rainstorm followed by underperforming cold and no snowcover.  And worse, whatever falls Thursday (GFS took that event away altogether) will be gone just a few days later with a warm-up.  Just awful all around.  It's the kind of thing that makes you want to give it all up and move south.

Even the cold doesn't look that impressive now.  Yes it will be very cold, but nothing like it was showing a few days ago.  And worse, it won't even show up in the records, as we'll have a midnight high for Tuesday, likely in the 30s.  What looked like a historic double-punch ended up being a 50 degree rainstorm followed by underperforming cold and no snowcover.  Just awful all-around.  It's the kind of thing that makes you want to give it all up and move south.

Yeah..we go from a 4-8 WSW to rain in a span of 12 hours..and now the cold looks like it may have been over hyped for here also..On a side note..we should have never been under a WSW or  WWA!!

Yeah..we go from a 4-8 WSW to rain in a span of 12 hours..and now the cold looks like it may have been over hyped for here also..On a side note..we should have never been under a WSW or  WWA!!

I know I've said over and over that our climo just doesn't support the big snows and all, but this may go down as one of the most overhyped and disappointing weather weeks for me of all time, just because of the huge difference between potential, prediction and ultimate reality. 

Pretty much everything that could go wrong did:  Have snow and near 0-degree temps just 2 days before a high near 50 and rain melting all snow cover while locations 100 miles away see double-digit snowfall and blizzard conditions.  And then we get the annoying midnight high and an arctic cold blast that will underperform due to a lack of snow cover.  Oh, and then we may or may not see snow later in the week just to see it melt off the very next day.  F that.

Buckeye is right.  Sometimes, after weeks like this, you have to take a break from this hobby. 

I know I've said over and over that our climo just doesn't support the big snows and all, but this may go down as one of the most overhyped and disappointing weather weeks for me of all time, just because of the huge difference between potential, prediction and ultimate reality. 

Pretty much everything that could go wrong did:  Have snow and near 0-degree temps just 2 days before a high near 50 and rain melting all snow cover while locations 100 miles away see double-digit snowfall and blizzard conditions.  And then we get the annoying midnight high and an arctic cold blast that will underperform due to a lack of snow cover.  Oh, and then we may or may not see snow later in the week just to see it melt off the very next day.  F that.

Buckeye is right.  Sometimes, after weeks like this, you have to take a break from this hobby. 

Yep...time for a break..we get cold for a few days..maybe flurries thur..warm back up with rain..Kinda tired of the rinse repeat things around here!!

It does seems like the models have backed off on cold.  MOS and raw output both keep us above -10F now.  However Tuesday's high will still be very cold (sub +10F).  Kind of skeptical...I mean I know the snow cover is not here but the 0z GFS still insists on advecting in -30C 850 temps.  How can we not surpass -10F with air that cold right above us?  With a well mixed boundary layer as well! 

Either way, an air temp of -8 with gusts to 23 mph still produces wind chill warning criteria easily (< -30F). 

I swear I was surprised when people were saying the snow was going to be big. The reason the schools are all closed is because the temperature by the time kids would be getting out of school today is going to be 0-10 degrees which means the wind chills will be extremely cold. Then Tuesday morning, it will be the coldest. So they shut schools down due to the cold but I didn't think snow was going to be a factor. All I'm hearing is people saying, "Wheres the 15 inches of snow?"

I saw a forecast in the Akron area of 3-5 possible overnight, 15 inches is an insane amount and I never saw that forecast.

I saw an article regarding the school closings, they were citing the 10'' of snow that was not going to fall as the reason. They should have been discussing the temp but misleading forecasts have really cause unnecessary fuss. As of saturday models were in agreement that we were getting rain and a little snow. Why they did not change the forecast is really frustrating. Most of northeast ohio schools and some buisnesses were closed as of last night. Really not understanding why they left the public uninformed of the forecast change.  

Well so much for 20 year cold in Columbus. If we don't hit minus teens tonight, 2009 will definitely have been colder.

Sent from my TF300T

If we clear out we may get pretty cold..not a huge snow pack...but enough to cool it down pretty good I believe!!

Well so much for 20 year cold in Columbus. If we don't hit minus teens tonight, 2009 will definitely have been colder.

Sent from my TF300T

If we clear out we may get pretty cold..not a huge snow pack...but enough to cool it down pretty good I believe!!

Going to be hard to get radiational cooling with winds at 20 mph

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Archived