• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Let's talk winter!

Steve

ask philly and DC what the forecast looked like for them less than 3 days ago.   These clippers and their ability to dig, strengthen, weaken, or whatever are unpredictable outside of 48 hours.   Someone is going to get clocked in the sunday-Monday timeframe.  

....watch it be philly again :yikes:  :rambo:

It just doesn't seem to be our year (although you wouldn't know it with that 25 inch CMH stat). Usually when on a streak, whether it be good or bad, you stay on that streak. So my bet is it will not be us Sun-Mon.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just doesn't seem to be our year (although you wouldn't know it with that 25 inch CMH stat). Usually when on a streak, whether it be good or bad, you stay on that streak. So my bet is it will not be us Sun-Mon.

that was my thinking coming out of that early epic stretch between the week before thanksgiving and until right before xmas, when most of our snow came and we had an unusually early and long duration snowcover.    I thought, "we're locked in baby!!!"   

...then it all went to shat

I don't even understand what all the talk is with Philly in comparison.  It's a crap location for snow, especially on the East Coast.  Their average is 9" lower than in Columbus.  And looking at the seasonal totals 1884-2013 (missing 2004-2005 to 2008-2009 for some reason), Columbus is about 36 FEET ahead. They get the occasional big storm, but hardly every year and even with them, they often melt away in a week or so and the rest of the winter is relatively snowless.  I much prefer Columbus' climate.  It may not get as many big storms, but it looks and feels like winter far more often, with generally more snow through the season. 

I don't even understand what all the talk is with Philly in comparison.  It's a crap location for snow, especially on the East Coast.  Their average is 9" lower than in Columbus.  And looking at the seasonal totals 1884-2013 (missing 2004-2005 to 2008-2009 for some reason), Columbus is about 36 FEET ahead. They get the occasional big storm, but hardly every year and even with them, they often melt away in a week or so and the rest of the winter is relatively snowless.  I much prefer Columbus' climate.  It may not get as many big storms, but it looks and feels like winter far more often, with generally more snow through the season. 

Meh, valid points I guess. We'll just agree to disagree. If you have ever lived in the Philly area you may feel differently though.

thank you sir.   I think it's a what have you done for me lately (as in the last month), thing.

by the way....good god almighty did you see the 12zgfs.  unrelenting brutality thru the entire run

Most winters are like these, even the big ones.  There are two types of winters that reach normal to above normal snowfall.  There are those that have the single large event with a bunch of very small events.  Examples would include 2007-2008, 2002-2003, 1995-1996, etc.  Or there are those that nickel and dime the entire time, but they just come often.  Examples would include 1935-1936, 1969-1970, 1976-1977, etc.  Both types are remembered as historic regardless of the single large event occurring.  Very rarely do we get a winter that has multiple large storms of 6"+.  Examples of those would be 1909-1910, 1998-1999, 2009-2010.  This year, our largest snow has been 5.1".  That very well could be the biggest snow of the season, though I would suspect, given climo with winters that have multiple arctic blasts, that we'll see a 6" storm at some point.

Meh, valid points I guess. We'll just agree to disagree. If you have ever lived in the Philly area you may feel differently though.

Pondo I think you've never gotten over the jan'96 epic blizzard out there.  Take that event away and would you feel the same?  I know how a single epic event can do that.....for me it was experiencing Jan '78 here.    

Like I said, I did live in philly, actually nw of the city in Bucks County and it was an epic snoozefest thru those 3 winters.  In fact one of the most memorable weather events in the three years I was there was a freak tornado that came thru in late summer one year.

Either way it's all good....to each is own right?   :D

Ended up with about 2" here. The snow growth was extremely poor the entire event, saw about 10 hours of small snowflakes. The winds this morning have taken visibility down a good amount though.

The arctic front this weekend looks really potent, we could get some nice snow squalls with it, even if they only add up to an inch or two. Looking farther out, the models suggest this clipper pattern will continue. I'm in the worst spot in the state more or less for big snow storms so I'll take clippers. The long range looks interesting...the PV shifts north a bit but the main trough still stays about overhead with no big SE ridge, so we could be in the game for a bigger snow starting mid next week. Of course if the PV shifts too far north we run the risk of WTOD returning again, but I guess that comes with the territory.

I was actually living about an hour outside of Philly for January 25, 2000, so I've been through that to some extent.  I'm not sure that waiting around for that single big one is worth all the other winters that have snowfall in the lower teens. 

Pondo I think you've never gotten over the jan'96 epic blizzard out there.  Take that event away and would you feel the same?  I know how a single epic event can do that.....for me it was experiencing Jan '78 here.    

Like I said, I did live in philly, actually nw of the city in Bucks County and it was an epic snoozefest thru those 3 winters.  In fact one of the most memorable weather events in the three years I was there was a freak tornado that came thru in late summer one year.

Either way it's all good....to each is own right?   :D

Very true. Funny, I grew up in Bucks County. Small world. There were a couple of others like the Super Storm of '93 and the entire winter of 93-94. Now for both of these I was in college in Lancaster County (which I still consider the Philly area). Now, I really hope that our biggest here this year isn't that 5.1. Beer bong time!!!!!!!!

Most winters are like these, even the big ones.  There are two types of winters that reach normal to above normal snowfall.  There are those that have the single large event with a bunch of very small events.  Examples would include 2007-2008, 2002-2003, 1995-1996, etc.  Or there are those that nickel and dime the entire time, but they just come often.  Examples would include 1935-1936, 1969-1970, 1976-1977, etc.  Both types are remembered as historic regardless of the single large event occurring.  Very rarely do we get a winter that has multiple large storms of 6"+.  Examples of those would be 1909-1910, 1998-1999, 2009-2010.  This year, our largest snow has been 5.1".  That very well could be the biggest snow of the season.

at the risk of being kicked out of the darkside party....if I'm totally being honest here....I would be very surprise if we made it out of this winter without a big dog (6"+).   This pattern is throwing all kinds of ingredients at us, we just haven't hit the right exact combo yet. 

It really has been a case of sh*t luck....and luck (good or bad) only holds for so long.   It's not like we've been in a torch dry pattern.

Now let me back in Pondo it's cold out here.

Ended up with about 2" here. The snow growth was extremely poor the entire event, saw about 10 hours of small snowflakes. The winds this morning have taken visibility down a good amount though.

The arctic front this weekend looks really potent, we could get some nice snow squalls with it, even if they only add up to an inch or two. Looking farther out, the models suggest this clipper pattern will continue. I'm in the worst spot in the state more or less for big snow storms so I'll take clippers. The long range looks interesting...the PV shifts north a bit but the main trough still stays about overhead with no big SE ridge, so we could be in the game for a bigger snow starting mid next week. Of course if the PV shifts too far north we run the risk of WTOD returning again, but I guess that comes with the territory.

The pattern looks decent for clippers, and if they materialize, sooner or later we'll experience a good one.  So long as the track is decent, they almost always over perform.  The track with the last few has just not been good.

at the risk of being kicked out of the darkside party....if I'm totally being honest here....I would be very surprise if we made it out of this winter without a big dog (6"+).   This pattern is throwing all kinds of ingredients at us, we just haven't hit the right exact combo yet. 

It really has been a case of sh*t luck....and luck (good or bad) only holds for so long.   It's not like we've been in a torch dry pattern.

Now let me back in Pondo it's cold out here.

C'mon in. I'm with you about the 6+ (that's what she said, right?) LOL

Hate to butt in, but I grew up on the East Coast.  I've lived in Dayton for 20 years now.

LOVE most of the winters here in Ohio.  There are so many ways we get snow here. Clippers, Choo-Choos, LE, waves etc.....

Of course,

We get our share of busts and heartbreak, but I could write a book on the misses, the busts.

And guys,

If you think we get WTOD here, check out the number of times the big cities get rain  instead of the forecasted WSWs.

The Atlantic Ocean is an entirely different take on WTOD - believe me.

Yes, the big events put down tons of snow all at once - and the media attention is through the roof.  When we get 4-6 inches of snow, no one even talks about it.  Just the mere forecast of snow is big news back east.

Last question/comment.

Do you like Spring snowstorms?  If so, you'd love the snowstorms from D.C. to NYC  - - torches, followed by heavy wet snow, followed by torch and relatively quick melting.  Snow cover is rare until you move towards the Northeast.

The pattern looks decent for clippers, and if they materialize, sooner or later we'll experience a good one.  So long as the track is decent, they almost always over perform.  The track with the last few has just not been good.

Heck, even this one today fluffed up to 5" or so for the Cincinnati area. The 12z Canadian was really aggressive, showing 2-4" with the arctic front Saturday, another 2-4" with a reinforcing shot on Sunday, and another potent clipper next Tuesday-Wednesday. I'd have to think at least one of those will be decent, that's a high amplitude ridge over Alaska/western Canada to send these plunging south.

Hate to butt in, but I grew up on the East Coast.  I've lived in Dayton for 20 years now.

LOVE most of the winters here in Ohio.  There are so many ways we get snow here. Clippers, Choo-Choos, LE, waves etc.....

Of course,

We get our share of busts and heartbreak, but I could write a book on the misses, the busts.

And guys,

If you think we get WTOD here, check out the number of times the big cities get rain  instead of the forecasted WSWs.

The Atlantic Ocean is an entirely different take on WTOD - believe me.

Yes, the big events put down tons of snow all at once - and the media attention is through the roof.  When we get 4-6 inches of snow, no one even talks about it.  Just the mere forecast of snow is big news back east.

Last question/comment.

Do you like Spring snowstorms?  If so, you'd love the snowstorms from D.C. to NYC  - - torches, followed by heavy wet snow, followed by torch and relatively quick melting.  Snow cover is rare until you move towards the Northeast.

Heck, even this one today fluffed up to 5" or so for the Cincinnati area. The 12z Canadian was really aggressive, showing 2-4" with the arctic front Saturday, another 2-4" with a reinforcing shot on Sunday, and another potent clipper next Tuesday-Wednesday. I'd have to think at least one of those will be decent, that's a high amplitude ridge over Alaska/western Canada to send these plunging south.

Just the difference between Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus have been ridiculous.  Usually storms affect those three cities in a farily similar manner, this year Dayton and Cincy have done much better due to storms dying out east or getting shunted southwest.   Maybe that's just a perception.....I haven't looked at numbers.

I must admit,

Moving to Dayton in 1993, and being the snow weenie I've always been, i follow snow storms like a fanatic.

However,

I did not realize how varied the snow totals can be between the three cities Dayton, Cincy and Columbus - especially CMH.

We are all so close between I-70, I-71, I-75.  My son graduated from Denison a few years ago, and I used to get caught in those snow squalls all the time.  Didn't realize that Clippers are tricky for that area.

Around here, folks distinguish between "north of I-70 and south of I-70."  You would think that I-70 is a major geographic border like a mountain range or major body of water - just an interstate.

I DO remember Buckeye and all of you CMHers celebrating March 2008.  That was big time.  I think you may have some similar fun this season.  we're rolling in Dayton.  Obviously a slight shift and we're having an entirely different conversation about snow totals.

thank you sir.   I think it's a what have you done for me lately (as in the last month), thing.

by the way....good god almighty did you see the 12zgfs.  unrelenting brutality thru the entire run

Everyone being the snow weenie that we are, we're always looking for that next fix.

The GFS again looks like one of the coldest patterns I've seen it give.  The 2 to potentially 3-week pattern of very cold weather reminds me of a couple of historic cold periods.  No matter what, at this point, January looks to end up between 19 and 21 degrees.  Though not quite as cold as it was looking last week, that would still put it between the 5th and 8th coldest January ever. 

Just the difference between Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus have been ridiculous.  Usually storms affect those three cities in a farily similar manner, this year Dayton and Cincy have done much better due to storms dying out east or getting shunted southwest.   Maybe that's just a perception.....I haven't looked at numbers.

This is through yesterday:

Dayton: 30.2" (January 15.6")

Columbus: 25.2" (January 7.8")

Cincinnati: 22.4" (January 9.6")

So through yesterday, Columbus was right where it normally would be, between those two.  Obviously, January is what has made the most difference. 

by the way....Doylestown.    Went to Linden elementary and Holicong middle.  would have ended up at Central Bucks East had we not moved back to Ohio.

Southampton for me. Went to Archbishop Wood in Warminster. Have a sister that lived in Doylestown for years and now lives in Pipersville. Talked to her this morning. She was laughing, telling me how she tells people about me and how I love snow. They all tell her to bring me back so I can help them dig out. LOL

some 12z euro info for central OH (Franklin County)

Regarding the cold....brutal thru day 10 and in fact it appears to continue behind a system moving thru the lower OV on day 9-10.

Friday :  lows -5 to -8

Sunday : lows -5

Tuesday: low -18 high around -2

In between lots of single digits and teens.

Snow:  about 8-10" over the next 10 days.  Euro favors heavier snow in our area of the subforum....3-4"ish for weekend clipper....day 9 looks like some sort of OV/TnV tracking system that sends heaviest swath along the river and southern OH...and...(close your ears Jay)....to the midatlantic.   But we still get hit.   Reminiscent of '09-'10.

Agreed. How much longer in this cold before LE is no longer a player?

As evidenced from the past 4 days, it's pretty much dead for areas around Cleveland. Under normal ice free or mostly ice free circumstances most of the events the last few days would have put down a solid 2-4" each. What's left of the snow on the ground here is a dusting. Most of the grass has been poking through.

I really think DAY could pull off beating CLE. If the clipper train during the cold spell centers itself more to the south, shouldn't be that hard of a feat.

Archived