joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds should be quite light areawide tonight. Have suspected it would be the coldest of the group overall last few days.  MOS suggests BWI will do it tonight though it was way too cold there last night seemingly... blame the wind.    RIC might be a flip of the coin. I'm not as positive it will miss as I was yesterday but I'd lean 60/40 no freeze at that location.  

Winds should be quite light areawide tonight. Have suspected it would be the coldest of the group overall last few days.  MOS suggests BWI will do it tonight though it was way too cold there last night seemingly... blame the wind.    RIC might be a flip of the coin. I'm not as positive it will miss as I was yesterday but I'd lean 60/40 no freeze at that location.  

We also have a drier air mass than yesterday so temps may slack off quicker.

Bwi will make it, Richmond will not.

Richmond's low this morning was 32.

Nice.  RIC is sneaky each year it seems.  But either way, we might as well just do this contest for DCA next year.  Seems like it comes down to DCA anyway each year. 

I'll work up the numbers later today for standings and scenarios. 

That's surprising considering RIC's median first freeze is 10/31...aside from this year, they froze in October in 2011 and 2008 in the past 5 years.

not really.. i doubt anyone went earlier than normal on any location (though i haven't looked that closely). 

at least bwi got there.

That's surprising considering RIC's median first freeze is 10/31...aside from this year, they froze in October in 2011 and 2008 in the past 5 years.

actually... who looks at the median. get out of here weather nerd.

Results have been tallied for the first 3 stations. Tied for the lead with a total departure of 13 days are Huffwx and UVVmet84. Ian is next with 14 (13 of which are from RIC) then a handful of other people between 16 and 19.  RodneyS and Eskimo Joe are all but eliminated with departures of 67 and 68, respectively. 

Mean departure for IAD was 4.28 days, 7 days for BWI and 16.69 days for RIC. 

Archived