12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all! Brutal night in the Mnts for sure. Wind, snow, & frozen precip from yesterdays rain make it a winter wonderland for sure. Schools are out in Buncombe & most Mnt countys. App. 5,000+ without power in Buncombe also. Here is a vid. I shot last night before the wind really started to crank. Sorry about the quality as I am new to it. Updates later......stay safe.

Still a few flurries in Asheville with just enough snow to make the ground white (more snow on the North side I am sure).  10 degrees IMBY; news reports downed trees blocking some roads in the area.

Also, if anyone saw the GSP forecast discussion yesterday, it said something like: tonight will not be fit for "man nor bear" in the NC high country.

Just a frozen dusting from this event. Is this the first 1 inch snowfall for Asheville in over a year? I know they missed on those light events we had last year.

KAVL still recorded a big goose egg. I think it has been since January 2011 since KAVL has recorded an inch. In town and Buncombe have done so, but not KAVL. Quite the drought. (of snow that is... you think 75 inches of precip would have squeezed out an inch of snow)

What about last winter season? I remember a few winter storm warnings for Asheville that turned out to be dustings.

I don't recall getting any more than a dusting all of last winter.  However, the north side of town will get more in these NW flow events.

What about last winter season? I remember a few winter storm warnings for Asheville that turned out to be dustings.

KAVL had a 1/2 inch for the season :lmao:  last year and a trace before that.  We had over 60 inches in less than 2 winter seasons and the snow said... you have had enough for a while !!!

Thanks, I think we ended up with only 8 inches here at the house with three light events. Yeah those two back to back winters were great. Seems like every storm then was 8 plus.

I think we have some hope this year... just need to line up the cold and the moisture (well, I shouldn't say just)

I have about a half inch here in West Asheville, around an inch in the Thanksgiving storm but 20 minutes from me,  KAVL seems to never get any at all.  very interesting.

That's about what we had in our little corner between Fletcher and Fairview.  Winds definitely were howling last night.  I woke up this morning with our daughter and animals in the bed with my wife and me!  I guess they were scared too!

~Scott

Archived