12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been watching and comparing the models all day to what is actually going on and they have been all over the place.  I think this is a true nowcast situation with a few surprises potential in store.

Ya I agree. I have seen all I need to see from the models. Time know to get this show going. You can see the NE flow already setting up over KY and TN after the front has passed. I think this will be key for many receiving snow in the mountains.

Ya I agree. I have seen all I need to see from the models. Time know to get this show going. You can see the NE flow already setting up over KY and TN after the front has passed. I think this will be key for many receiving snow in the mountains.

Yeah I have been watching the exact same area.  Models were predicting it to continue to the NE and join the rest of the storm but it has persistently been pushing SE and now looks to be interacting again, possibly strengthening. 

I will say this as far as the models/forecasts go; I was forecasted to reach 45 today and never made it above 37.  CAD held strong.  Not sure how this plays as far as later tonight in regards to snow but it is extremely foggy and misting so roads will definitely be icy come morning.  Schools on 2 hour delay but I'd bet on them cancelling as temps are forecasted to drop from here on through tomorrow.

Yeah I have been watching the exact same area.  Models were predicting it to continue to the NE and join the rest of the storm but it has persistently been pushing SE and now looks to be interacting again, possibly strengthening. 

Ya I have been seeing that there it a vort coming through the SE tomorrow morning that may enhance moisture across the upper SE but ya sems like the NE flow snow is starting immediately behind the main line of moisture.  

I will say this as far as the models/forecasts go; I was forecasted to reach 45 today and never made it above 37.  CAD held strong.  Not sure how this plays as far as later tonight in regards to snow but it is extremely foggy and misting so roads will definitely be icy come morning.  Schools on 2 hour delay but I'd bet on them cancelling as temps are forecasted to drop from here on through tomorrow.

Ya Robert was talking about flash freezing in the mountains and some of the foothill areas. I think we see several cancellations tomorrow morning concerning schools.

Got light Snow currently with a 2.5 hour temp drop from 41.3° to 30.8° in Weaverville. I'm a little skeptical that this event is going to meet the last one snow wise. Looking at the upstream radar the moisture just doesn't seem to be there. The favored NWSF areas look ok but, the lower valleys may struggle. 

5:41 am temp. 27.1°

7:10 am temp. 23.9°

Well things have really gone down hill this morning since I last posted. We have near blizzard conditions with the winds howling and heavy snow falling. We have about 1 inch of snow on the ground and everything is iced up bad. Seems like we got a flash freeze here. Temp has plummeted to 17 degrees. 

Wow that was quick ha, looks like you could pick up a couple of inches.  Slowly but surely or flakes are getting bigger and more frequent here.

Wow that was quick ha, looks like you could pick up a couple of inches.  Slowly but surely or flakes are getting bigger and more frequent here.

Ya the radar upstream looks good. Last obs from here until late afternoon. Still snowing moderately to heavy with about 1.5 inches on the ground and temp down to 14 degrees. Stay safe and warm everybody!

Not to continue the banner, but iam just wanting to complete my three days of driving so I can start driving a bus ;)

It is 41 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im a teacher/full-time school bus driver too!  Any of you guys ever had to put chains on the bus to get the kids home?  I did once in 2007.  We dismissed too late before a clipper came through here.  I have stops at elevations as much as 4000'.  It started snowing but not laying.  When I got to 3000' it was laying on the road.  These buses will go anywhere with chains!  My last stop was at 3800' and there was 4" on the road.  Cars and semi-trucks were parked off the roadside as I headed up the last mtn...You would not believe the strange looks that I got coming up that mtn in a school bus  :lmao: 

Currently 17oF and blowing snow here with 2" on the ground

Clear and 5 below zero on the mtn top currently. Expecting 15 to 20 below tonight. Nothing more than a heavy dusting of snow earlier. 

Looks like a few locations received several inches of snow but still nothing too exciting.

There is always the next storm?! (Glad I'm currently in Michigan..buried under 18" of snow with waist high snow drifts! )

Tough day for a snow lover like me in most of Buncombe County. On & off snow showers continued thru out the day keeping most of our light dusting intact. My wife just texted me some pics from her ride to the horse barn. Less than 5 miles to the NW on 25-70 (still in Buncombe) it's a different world....... :axe:  :cry:  :ee:  I will post her pics in a bit. Oh btw it's 8.4° & falling fast!

Thanks Jason!.....it was killing me when she sent them to me. All I could think was so close yet so far. We are getting our best snow of the day currently. I suspect that with this temp set up we are wringing every last bit of moisture from above. Ratios have to be in between 25,35-1. It's like powdered sugar falling from the sky. With the snow our temps have suspended @ 6.0°. 

Thanks Jason!.....it was killing me when she sent them to me. All I could think was so close yet so far. We are getting our best snow of the day currently. I suspect that with this temp set up we are wringing every last bit of moisture from above. Ratios have to be in between 25,35-1. It's like powdered sugar falling from the sky. With the snow our temps have suspended @ 6.0°. 

Hardly any snow here today.(or now)  I have leveled off at 7 for now. I hope we go below 0. I would hate to waste this cold.

I know you live further up Leicester Hwy but did Erwin High get any snow today? We're supposed to come up there tomorrow for basketball.

I moved to West Asheville. I would bet, though, that they had some snow out that way.  Erwin boys are interesting this year... just pedal to the medal from the opening tip.

Nice Don you are getting snow right know? That is awesome! Not here just very cold. Down to -4 right know. Just bitter out there.

Archived