northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the ULL is in Georgia? I have 9. inches here! More than happy with what i got here

Corrected snow totals the 11 seemed to be an isolated thing on my sidewalk...

I haven't even paid attention to long range models but I'm guessing they all show a pretty big warm up.

A foot of snow on the ground up top. Overall pleased with how the snow worked out and the various forecasts of mine. Only thought about jumping off the cliff once during the radar donut hole time period yesterday! :)

Big melt on tap for later next week. Back to big rains and wind for the mtn top with the more typical low level SW wind flow setting up and dumping its contents all over the SW upslope areas.

There is the event for tomorrow night. I think it will mostly miss locally but I may be driving across the TN line so might cause me some grief driving through it.

Only 7 inches here. While that wasn't 10-14 inches I was hoping for, I did forecasted 6-10 inches on Twitter so I'm pleased. I also would take 7 inches because I had nothing more than 2 inches since December of 2010 :) I had been taking pictures of campus before people start playing in snow.

I just want to thank all you guys. All the board members are great, but I love our mountain crew. We all get along, and we have several really knowledgeable posters, Hurricane Tracker, Mike Gold, Franklin NCwx, and many more. There is not one of you that don't offer some sort of positive contribution. I enjoy my old connections with Don, Strongwx, and all the new people and everyone in between. Whoever came up with the mountain thread idea is a genius.

... And this winter has not been perfect, but we have had really cold weather and more or less persistent cold, one big snow, and we still have March.

So, anyway. Thanks, I appreciate you guys.

... and edited to add... what a BEAUTIFUL winter day.

little disappointed the deformation zone isn't pivoting thru asheville.  last nite was looking like the high rates would pivot thru asheville and areas around asheville but it moved around south and east of us.  hey we can't complain though this was a nice snow and we're still just middle of Feb. might get another storm like this or a couple of little 2 and 3 inch ones.  enjoy this and take lots of pics.   :sled:

I just want to thank all you guys. All the board members are great, but I love our mountain crew. We all get along, and we have several really knowledgeable posters, Hurricane Tracker, Mike Gold, Franklin NCwx, and many more. There is not one of you that don't offer some sort of positive contribution. I enjoy my old connections with Don, Strongwx, and all the new people and everyone in between. Whoever came up with the mountain thread idea is a genius.

... And this winter has not been perfect, but we have had really cold weather and more or less persistent cold, one big snow, and we still have March.

+1!!! Great post Jason, we really have a good crew.

How the roads looking in downtown Asheville? Roads look lot better here on campus and this is making me nervous about tomorrow's classes :\

It seemed to be melting at a good clip. When I went to eat, everything but the interstate was snow packed, but there was a lot of melt in the interim. The secondary roads should maintain snow cover. I would be surprised if UNCA opens.

It seemed to be melting at a good clip. When I went to eat, everything but the interstate was snow packed, but there was a lot of melt in the interim. The secondary roads should maintain snow cover. I would be surprised if UNCA opens.

They've proven last few weeks that they are willing to push the envelope, though... :\

Great post Jason! I am not in the mountains (1000" here in the foothills) and my weather is typical very different than you high guys (joe), but it is a great thread!

Question:

My wife is flying out of KAVl on Saturday morning (7am I think). Any word of I26 coming out of Polk County?

I assume this might be an issues if the small Friday system comes through. Please and thank you..

Archived