• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Euro gives 2-3 for most mtn locations with 4-5 for the higher peaks near the border. Gfs gives 2-3 for the sw mtns only. Nice warm up next week would be nice if it was dry. Have not enjoyed a dry warm stretch of a couple weeks in over a year. Winter comes back per ensembles after day 10.

Anything interesting on the ensembles past day 10, or just cold?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not looked at it that close. General ridge out west -ao and nao combo with a trough in the east. Maybe we can get a big march or April paste bomb this year!

Man, an April storm would be something. I have an ominous feeling that we're about done with winter, but no real backing for that. 

I just want to thank all you guys. All the board members are great, but I love our mountain crew. We all get along, and we have several really knowledgeable posters, Hurricane Tracker, Mike Gold, Franklin NCwx, and many more. There is not one of you that don't offer some sort of positive contribution. I enjoy my old connections with Don, Strongwx, and all the new people and everyone in between. Whoever came up with the mountain thread idea is a genius.

... And this winter has not been perfect, but we have had really cold weather and more or less persistent cold, one big snow, and we still have March.

So, anyway. Thanks, I appreciate you guys.

... and edited to add... what a BEAUTIFUL winter day.

100% agree! We have a great group and some really knowledgeable poster and we all get along really well. I decided after last years mountain thread was such a hit to kind of make it a tradition from know on to make a winter mountain thread so we could all keep our storms and our little snows confined to one thread so we could just look back and check states and pics. But this thread would be nothing if not for all of you who post here. This thread is all about the mountain and foothill folk and I am glad to be apart of this board also! Thank you all.

Euro gives 2-3 for most mtn locations with 4-5 for the higher peaks near the border. Gfs gives 2-3 for the sw mtns only. Nice warm up next week would be nice if it was dry. Have not enjoyed a dry warm stretch of a couple weeks in over a year. Winter comes back per ensembles after day 10.

Man I just have a feeling we are going to have a big March this year.  This upcoming system looks rather good for most of the mountains. The GFS looks ok and the NAM looks really good for the boarder counties. We probably see a winter storm watch issued tonight ot tomorrow morning. Also good to hear winter will be making another return soon.

100% agree! We have a great group and some really knowledgeable poster and we all get along really well. I decided after last years mountain thread was such a hit to kind of make it a tradition from know on to make a winter mountain thread so we could all keep our storms and our little snows confined to one thread so we could just look back and check states and pics. But this thread would be nothing if not for all of you who post here. This thread is all about the mountain and foothill folk and I am glad to be apart of this board also! Thank you all.

Yes, its nice to have a thread that's not heavily moderated so we can ask questions and make observations specific to our microclimate. Thanks Met1985!

This was my first time really watching a storm roll in and it was awesome to have other people interested to discuss it with. Looking forward to the next one (tomorrow maybe?!)

Yes, its nice to have a thread that's not heavily moderated so we can ask questions and make observations specific to our microclimate. Thanks Met1985!

This was my first time really watching a storm roll in and it was awesome to have other people interested to discuss it with. Looking forward to the next one (tomorrow maybe?!)

Ya this is a great thread and thank you to the moderators for letting us do our thing in this thread. Also we have some great people who know a lot.

I'll express my thanks as well. Y'all are great posters with informative and insightful posts. It's fun to chat about our fascinating microclimates. Finally a group who understands and appreciates those idiosyncrasies! Hats off to you all. This last storm was a blast!

Sent from my iPhone

Great post Tracker! You have been a great addition also!

WWUS42 KGSP 140947

WSWGSP

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

447 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...FROZEN SLUSH AND BLACK ICE WILL CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS DRIVING

CONDITIONS THIS MORNING...

...LIGHT SNOWFALL ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE MOUNTAINS TONIGHT...

NCZ033-048>050-052-141500-

/O.NEW.KGSP.WW.Y.0012.140215T0000Z-140215T1800Z/

/O.CON.KGSP.WW.Y.0011.000000T0000Z-140214T1500Z/

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-HAYWOOD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...WAYNESVILLE

447 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS

MORNING...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO

1 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM

THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS.

* HAZARDS...BLACK ICE...FROZEN SLUSH...AND SOME SNOW COVERED ROADS

THIS MORNING. LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TONIGHT.

* TIMING...AREAS OF BLACK ICE...FROZEN SLUSH...AND SNOW PACKED

ROADS WILL LINGER ON ROADWAYS THROUGH AT LEAST THE MORNING. SNOW

WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING AND PERSIST THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES WITH LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ALONG THE TENNESSEE BORDER.

* WINDS...WEST WINDS INCREASING 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55

MPH SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SOME ROADS ARE IMPASSABLE WHERE HEAVY SNOW FELL ON

THURSDAY MORNING. ON ROADS THAT REMAIN PASSABLE...FROZEN SLUSH

AND BLACK ICE WILL MAKE DRIVING VERY HAZARDOUS THIS MORNING.

SNOWFALL OVERNIGHT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 30S.

Yeah I will be interested to see how far south this clipper tracks.  Seems that its already going farther south then modeled.  It rare that we have an event with snowfall on the ground so that should help temps especially since we have a lot of evap. cooling taking place today.  These factors make this somewhat unique and I think we might get a little more then a dusting in the valley.  I will be watching water vapor to see which low is dominate.

I saw yesterday they were clearing snow off the baseball field. The weekend series has already been cancelled. Asheville proper looks good for half inch to an inch assuming BL aren't an issue.

Yeah, I found out about that series being called off when I got to the recreational center gyms.

My sis is planning to drive from Atlanta to Asheville tomorrow. Does anyone think she could encounter bad roads getting there? Should she not go tomorrow?

Larry, if she comes up 85-25-26 she should be fine. I wouldn't go the 985-441-74 route as she would have to cross both Cowee Mnt & Balsam Gap. Both of those could be snowy.

Archived