• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Hello mountain friends, as some of you may know my mom has been fighting cancer for the past 4 months, and for the past 2 she has been paralyzed as well. She is in her last days now, and I have had to quit my job in order to help support my family and my mom. The medical bills have been adding up and I just ask you to take a look at my donation page, thank you.

http://www.gofundme.com/helpingkyle

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this clipper is being thrown into the shredder coming through East Tennessee, and temps are still 43 in Asheville.  Not looking good for anyone outside of immediate TN border counties who MAY squeeze out inch or two.

37 here in West Asheville, I've seen the biggest snow flakes around 39 degrees.  also when the rain starts the atmosphere will cool down even more.  I think we're ok,  Robert thinks and I agree that the storm will drag the cold air down to the surface, seen this happen many times.  Let's hope so.

Guess everyone else is sleeping in. Snowing pretty good in Weaverville! Talked to a buddy in Candler & nothing that way.

Its funny how the flow bands will drops some nice flakes in our valley but Spivey Mtn. always seems to steal any in Candler.  I grew up in Candler and my parents still live there so its funny to see when its snowing here and not there.

I had a couple of inches overnight I guess. The wind is absolutely howling. I've had 6 gusts over 50 since 4 am. It's 18.4 and has dropped a full degree in the last 45 minutes.

I also wonder where the guy from Red Hill is. Not a peep from him during the last storm and this one. As the crow flies he is only about ten miles from me. It's nice to have some obs to compare with being that close.

Close to a inch of new snow in Weaverville now. It was hammering a while ago. Still snowing now & our roads are all snow covered again. Down to 27. Very windy also! Buddy in Candler sez the sun is out down there.....love the micro climates & my location. I will never be the big winner with synoptic or flow but, I do well enough with both!

Close to a inch of new snow in Weaverville now. It was hammering a while ago. Still snowing now & our roads are all snow covered again. Down to 27. Very windy also!

Do you think my sis would still be ok taking 85 to 25 to 26 into Asheville today? Also, would she be ok getting around Asheville, itself, later today? Is it shut down?

Edit: Also, one of her vehicles is a 4 WD? Would she need to take it tobe able to get there and drive around Ash?

whew roads aren't good... wrecked my car on my way to work coming down the hill where I live.  They haven't been treated around town but it looks like the interstates are ok.

Sorry to hear that.  I am in east Asheville; a dusting on my road but I am sure it could get slick on a steep secondary road.  I know there are some very steep roads coming off of Beaucatcher Mtn.; I have seen posts indicating that you are in that area.

Do you think my sis would still be ok taking 85 to 25 to 26 into Asheville today? Also, would she be ok getting around Asheville, itself, later today? Is it shut down?

Edit: Also, one of her vehicles is a 4 WD? Would she need to take it tobe able to get there and drive around Ash?

She should be fine; these NW Flow events usually produce little to nothing just south of downtown Asheville.  Asheville downtown should be no problem to drive in this afternoon.  Looks like the sun is trying to peak out now.

Sorry to hear that.  I am in east Asheville; a dusting on my road but I am sure it could get slick on a steep secondary road.  I know there are some very steep roads coming off of Beaucatcher Mtn.; I have seen you posts indicating that you are in that area.

Yeah that curve at the bottom of Alexander dr. is rough... I knew it was going to get me one day or another.  It might be time to think about getting something else that actually goes in the snow but I haven't needed it the past 3 years ha.

She should be fine; these NW Flow events usually produce little to nothing just south of downtown Asheville.  Asheville downtown should be no problem to drive in this afternoon.  Looks like the sun is trying to peak out now.

Thanks. Then I won't tell her to take her 4WD. She'd rather not if not needed.

Yeah that curve at the bottom of Alexander dr. is rough... I knew it was going to get me one day or another.  It might be time to think about getting something else that actually goes in the snow but I haven't needed it the past 3 years ha.

I got my first AWD vehicle last year; great for going up slick hills; no help going down them.  I ride my bicycle over Beaucatcher from time to time; will go past Alexander onto Windswept over to College.  Would not want to come off that mtn in the snow.  Glad you are OK and hope your car isn't too beat up.

Larry, I think she will be fine if she comes the 85-25-26 way. The temp is supposed to warm up to the mid 30's & with the sun angle the new snow will melt quickly. Things are def. worse in the northern part of the county. I am at the Asheville Mall now & it's not bad.

I got my first AWD vehicle last year; great for going up slick hills; no help going down them.  I ride my bicycle over Beaucatcher from time to time; will go past Alexander onto Windswept over to College.  Would not want to come off that mtn in the snow.  Glad you are OK and hope your car isn't too beat up.

Thank I am fine haha but I can say as much for my car.  I think I broke a tire rod or something.  Luckily I steered enough through the curve that I ended up in the parking spots to the left instead of going straight through the curve and nailing a fire hydrant.  With that said, I feel pretty lucky this morning.

whew roads aren't good... wrecked my car on my way to work coming down the hill where I live.  They haven't been treated around town but it looks like the interstates are ok.

Glad you weren't hurt! Stinks about the car though.....if you have to get out & drive it's bound to happen sooner or later. Buncombe/Asheville are probably the best equipped for snow in the whole SE but, our area is still woefully under prepared for Winter weather!

Glad you weren't hurt! Stinks about the car though.....if you have to get out & drive it's bound to happen sooner or later. Buncombe/Asheville are probably the best equipped for snow in the whole SE but, our area is still woefully under prepared for Winter weather!

Thanks Don, yeah usually they have a salt truck that just sits at the end of my road but today must have caught them a little off guard.  I am just thankful I didn't hit anyone and now I have a real reason to get myself a 4wd.  I guess that's what you get when you tell yourself you will drive a 2wd car in the snow until you wreck it and have to get another ha.

Archived