amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September weather discussion

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT but I'm convinced that we're taking this far too lightly. The cycle of temperatures in the last 50 years globally is alarming to me.

Gorgeous and pleasantly warm day today.

slowed considerable. One thing that sticks in my mind is climate modeling, ie the 10000 day GFS runs, how accurate can they really be, too many variables they can not take into account like the ocean absorbing all the heat.

slowed considerable. One thing that sticks in my mind is climate modeling, ie the 10000 date GFS runs, how accurate can they really be, too many variables they can not take into account like the ocean absorbing all the heat.

Ups and down in small year bunches but up trend. Is current cooling a blip or a new trend. No one knows. I'm really worried about what will happen when the sun roars back to life at some point who knows when...

March '93 had epic cold right behind it...though the longevity was compromised by the fact that it was mid-March already. But that was impressive behind that bomb.

'78 didn't have big cold behind it, but it didn't torch either. It stayed seasonable...wasn't warm enough to melt a lot of the snowpack.

There was snow in a town snow dump into June in Foxboro.

Yes you make my point. Eventually it will indeed roar as this minimum period which indeed may rival some of those in the past ends. Who knows when. But I'd like to see a much colder earth during this long term minimum and that's not what appears to be occurring. That to me is worrisome.

I think I got what you meant, Scott -- I am just saying that the panel's findings are alarming overall, and the implications of it are pretty terrifying for those that have a modicum of cause-and-effect awareness in the matter.  

So in a way, we may be at a threshold between where consequence and sensationalism have a very finite differential. 

Code for ...if it gets bad enough, what the f is the difference ?  

But yes ... Sandy did not happen because human kind fired up cool burning stoves.  No.   Any media source purporting that sort of message is completely ...well.  

As far as coastal impacts and that stuff.   You build a house on a flood plain and then it floods - okay.    Well, you don't build 50 to 100 years of pleasure seeking edifices that set normal to the coast mere feet from the ocean its self, and then get baffled by a big bomb of a storm.   

The 9th ward of New Orleans is below sea-level, in a delta region that the French urgently pleaded upon completing the Louisiana Purchase, "don't build a city there" -- that was on the other side of the AGW curve.   

Long Island is a ticking time bomb.  The whole East Coast of N and S America, too.   Whether a Category 3 tempest rockets N at 55 mph of forward speed, making the wind summation like the jet wash at Emission Controls, or the Canary Islands fissure and releases an Atlantic Basin wide, 900' eventual Tsunamis pulse, it's all humanity's fault for building precariously too close to danger, and has nothing to do with sea level rise from GW, or storm intensity because of GW.  

Yes you make my point. Eventually it will indeed roar as this minimum period which indeed may rival some of those in the past ends. Who knows when. But I'd like to see a much colder earth during this long term minimum and that's not what appears to be occurring. That to me is worrisome.

we will be long gone my friend, next cycle is 25 and that max is much lower than this one and that is 2030 so the next max is 2047.

let's stall this front and get the tropics involved next weekend

It's funny you said that ...  I think I know why -- if I may.    

You probably noticed that both the GGEM and GFS have a western Caribbean, albeit weak, system developing and then moving up toward Florida, at the same time a quasi closed low tries to eject E out of the MV next week.   

Hey, at least it's something....

It's also a handy go to excuse for disasters, rather than admit it was poor infrastructure or coastal development.

Exactly. But as far as coastal development goes, our wonderful FEMA just raised the floodzones in south shore towns to level where a Carol would have to make landfall into EWB from the ESE. I wish the policy makers understood what it takes to get that kind of flooding into those s shore towns. Now, unless people really fight this, 2,000 properties alone in Marshfield are going to have big time premium problems. You can thank Sandy for this.

I grew up near Albany... plenty of storms were followed by lots of cold weather.  I'm thinking like storms that depart and leave behind a week of LES out in western NY and the windy, flurries amid partly sunny skies.

Growing up I remember watching TWC and thinking that Albany always seemed to get the jackpot snows... we would frequently change over to sleet/rain in nor'easters as the storms came too far NW for us.  Seems like they haven't done as well in recent years though.

Just saw a liscence plate from ME that said "WNTRFAN"

Most excellent.

Some board members plates

Jerry- 6061-WX

Scooter- 2005-NB

Phil- OZONE-1

Kev- ALLHYPE

RAY- WEENIES

RYAN-  HODOLVR

WILL- 9297913

Brian-  SNFLAKE

Scott cweat-  DEERE-1

PF-  FAUXSN-1

Eric- MTCLMBR

Hippy Valley-  SHADYWX

Pete- MTMAN-1

Jeffaffa- SNMBILE

HubbDave- HUNCHIE

WIZ- SPIDERS

Ginxy- SULTAN1

It's just a matter of time before we start to get some pretty decent widespread rainfall threats here.  Judging on how things appear to be evolving, October could be a rather wet month with multiple opportunities at region wide rainfall.  

Maybe more towards mid-October. Other than that ridging pattern we get that gives us a heat up and a few transient fropas, upper atmospheric flow looks rather stale. I hate rain in the fall though because it drops leaves prematurely and nothing is worse than wet, damp leaves.

Mount Baker, WA going to crush an entire year's worth of epic New England winter snowfall in just the next 5 days...I don't know how you get 30+ inches of "snow showers" in a 12 hour period, but there ya do....

This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 44 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.

Tonight Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. Windy, with a south wind 39 to 49 mph decreasing to 13 to 23 mph. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.

Sunday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Windy, with a southwest wind 32 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.

Sunday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Windy, with a south southwest wind 16 to 26 mph increasing to 38 to 48 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.

Monday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 22. South southwest wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Tuesday Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Archived