Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September 2013 Pattern and Discussion

wx n of atl

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can do without the heavy rain coming Sunday and Monday. But I do hope this cool and wet summer translates to a big winter. Of course, as mentioned above, the pattern could change anytime and our luck it will change for the worst as far as snow goes.

What heavy rain? Models back off on it, notice no one is discussing it anymore. Looks like only a Florida event. My rain chances went from 90/90 to 40/30.

On the plus side, there are some major positive anomalies in the Gulf of Alaska that have been sorely lacking in previous years. We'll see if these anomalies are a lag indicator or a lead predictor.

Yeah, that's definitely a positive. Hopefully, they are a predictor. Looking forward to seeing how that evolves over the next few months.

And wow, Brick is back!

A lot of little interesting features in the flow...the precip that's expected to come across the Upper Southeast on Saturday is actually a remnant of the EPAC storm Manuel as it links up with the incoming trough.

New 0z GFS out through 144...back to hinting at trying to leave back some energy over Louisiana early next week. Tries to do a quick spin-up in the Western GOM.

A lot of little interesting features in the flow...the precip that's expected to come across the Upper Southeast on Saturday is actually a remnant of the EPAC storm Manuel as it links up with the incoming trough.

New 0z GFS out through 144...back to hinting at trying to leave back some energy over Louisiana early next week. Tries to do a quick spin-up in the Western GOM.

It's not only the GFS showing this, but the Euro as well. A strong shortwave moving around the west coast trough heads over Nebraska Monday, which swings the leftover energy in the northern Gulf into the southeast. If that shortwave isn't as strong or far enough south, then the leftover energy will stay along the Gulf Coast.

It was fun forecasting this morning... :lol:

I think it is ALMOST safe to say that the Triad (and essentially all of North Carolina) will not reach 90 again this year.  Thus far, the Triad reach 90 on 11 days.  The last 90 degree temperature was on August 12, a fairly early last 90-degree day relative to average.  There were two days in the 90's in June, five days in July, and four days in August. The longest streak of consecutive 90 degree days was four days in July and in August, which are the only two technical heatwaves of the year.

Anyone have any speculation about weather in OBX next week?  Going on vacay there and am worried about some rain and cool temps.  Oh well, it's still better than work!

Discussion from Morehead City NWS:

EXPECTING ISOLATEDCONVECTION TO DEVELOP AHEAD OF APPROACHING FRONT ON SATURDAYBECOMING SCATTERED SATURDAY NIGHT. INSTABILITY LIMITED SO KEPTTHUNDER WORDING AS ISOLATED. THE FRONT BECOMES STATIONARY WELL TOTHE SOUTH ALONG THE GULF COAST AND GA/FL BORDER. COOL NORTHEASTFLOW WITH HIGH PRESSURE TO THE NORTH WILL BE THE MAIN FEATURETHROUGH THE REST OF THE WEEK. AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVEEAST ALONG THE FRONT AROUND THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK WHICH MAY SENDSOME LIGHT SHOWERS UP THIS WAY.
OUTER BANKS DARE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KILL DEVIL HILLS...KITTY HAWK...NAGS HEAD...SOUTHERN SHORES1246 PM EDT FRI SEP 20 2013
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE MID70S. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT ANDVARIABLE. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT..SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT..MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S..MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 60S..TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S..TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S..WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S..WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S..THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING SUNNY.HIGHS IN THE MID 70S.

Looks good to me as long as you don't get a system running up the coast mid-week.  Looks like strong onshore flow on Sunday, but weakening thereafter.  Warm ocean waters help to keep the overnight lows up

Anyone have any speculation about weather in OBX next week?  Going on vacay there and am worried about some rain and cool temps.  Oh well, it's still better than work!

Good luck up there. My family and I are heading to Myrtle Beach tomorrow morning for a week. Looks good for the most part. There are some sings as we start heading towards the end of the month into October that the models are picking up on the blocking that is going to take place soon. Both the GFS and know the Euro have had hints toward day 10 that there will be some type of trough the develops in the mid section of the Country towards the East coast. Also looks like a pretty cool weekend for most and watch those lows Monday morning with lots of 40s and maybe some 30s in the mountains.

I think it is ALMOST safe to say that the Triad (and essentially all of North Carolina) will not reach 90 again this year.  Thus far, the Triad reach 90 on 11 days.  The last 90 degree temperature was on August 12, a fairly early last 90-degree day relative to average.  There were two days in the 90's in June, five days in July, and four days in June. The longest streak of consecutive 90 degree days was four days in July and in August, which are the only two technical heatwaves of the year.

June is the new August.

Good luck up there. My family and I are heading to Myrtle Beach tomorrow morning for a week. Looks good for the most part. There are some sings as we start heading towards the end of the month into October that the models are picking up on the blocking that is going to take place soon. Both the GFS and know the Euro have had hints toward day 10 that there will be some type of trough the develops in the mid section of the Country towards the East coast. Also looks like a pretty cool weekend for most and watch those lows Monday morning with lots of 40s and maybe some 30s in the mountains.

I can only hope that it is like this next weekend when Im down in the mtns. I sure dont want a repeat of July 4th. Have a great time at the beach 85.

I can only hope that it is like this next weekend when Im down in the mtns. I sure dont want a repeat of July 4th. Have a great time at the beach 85.

Thanks Dave! We have been looking forward to this trip for a long time. Was going to go last year but my have had complications during her pregnancy last year so we had to cancel. But the weather looks like it will start cooling off again around that time. As of right know I do not see a washout like the 4th pretty much was.

Sitting here watching football and listening to the rain while I' working on web pages... sounds like fun, huh?

See if these pages for for you now, I haven't even tried them in anything but Chrome and IE9 (shadows don't show in 9 for some reason) but it seems to work well there. 

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_southern_region_weather.php

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_midwest_weather.php

And Larry... you must be busy watching football on that new TV, how's that going?  :)

Sitting here watching football and listening to the rain while I' working on web pages... sounds like fun, huh?

See if these pages for for you now, I haven't even tried them in anything but Chrome and IE9 (shadows don't show in 9 for some reason) but it seems to work well there.

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_southern_region_weather.php

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_midwest_weather.php

And Larry... you must be busy watching football on that new TV, how's that going? :)

They display fin with the mouse over pops correctly on a Blackberry. ;-)

Archived