• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco/Obs (Dec 18th & 19th) ---> Part 2

WeatherNC

Radar looks like it's dropped off a cliff. Oh well. On to the next one.

The weak coastal is forming and like usual, QPF is starting to get cut off across the state, and beginning to erode from west to east... Look for this to continue through the evening hours. RN here, but I can see the SN 10k ft up melting :thumbsdown:

valid 5:03 pm EST

post-382-0-04477500-1292710202.jpg

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't expecting much out of this storm but even this was a disappointment. I thought I would atleast see an hour of snow. I think I got maybe 5 mins.

This is just another perfect illustration of the fact that events in this area with marginal conditions almost always end up in favor of the warmer solution.

It looks like Randolph County may be the winner thus far. I was in Montgomery County (Troy) when it started flaking. Right after 1pm there was significant snow/sleet for about an hour before turning to rain. I then traveled north and saw a transition back to sticking snow just south of Asheboro. When I got to Randleman there was a pretty Winter Wonderland that had to be approaching an inch of accumulation. When I got back home we have just a little less. Probably between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. It's still snowing tiny little flakes. Much more than I was expecting.:thumbsup:

Yea, our county did pretty well all things considering. This was so close to being a significant Snow. From Tuckertown Dam up to your neck of the woods was the western cut off line for significant snow.. Just couldnt hang onto the good moisture, thanks to being on the fringe. my flurries just stopped about 20 minutes ago. We had atleast flurries for 4 hours staright. But the first 45 minutes/hour took the cake/nice thumping.

Anyway get ready cause we will be on the fringe for the next one, this time probably on the east or south where the transition zone is (mix). Thinking next weekend storm. Thats life here, no matter if its a coastal or western part of the state event, your always in the game.

Can't catch a break. It started snowing in Wake Forest about 20 minutes after I left the family Christmas party, started to sleet as we were driving through Wilson to Farmville for another family party but quickly turned to rain and 33 degrees. :axe:

Currently rain mixed with occasional sleet here in Wilson, with a temperature of 32 according to the car's thermo (I have no idea how accurate it is).

This is just another perfect illustration of the fact that events in this area with marginal conditions almost always end up in favor of the warmer solution.

Yea I agree...Once it was determined the lp system was not going to be at decent strength I knew it could be an issue. I was surprised at the lack of moisture here in our area. I wasn't expecting a lot of moisture but more than we've seen.

Are we done here in Raleigh ? If so, then total fail. I thought it wasnt even supposed to begin to snow until after 6pm ? at least thats when were were supposed to start accumulating a little. I have token flurries now, but roads and grass are just west. Radar looks mighty thin to the west of me...

out just brfore Sunset, raing lightly, seemed a occasional "wet flake" falling, mixed in with the rain/ mist.....

a few IP's for a few minutes, looks and feels like snow, but thats just Me..

current obs...

39.0 °F Light Rain

Mist

Windchill:32 °F

Humidity:100%

Dew Point: 39 °F

Wind:11.2 mph from the North / Wind Gust:20.1 mph

Pressure:29.94 in (Steady)

Ended up with about three separate dustings here in CH. Here's a pic of the aforementioned half of a sandwich flizzard. My Droid's camera sucks at picking up snow, but this was the hardest I have seen it snow this year, and about equal to the height of the Jan 30 storm.

Went to a 7 o clock movie and it started snowing again, got out and just a couple teeny flakes with the grass re-covered.

165059_1566530321950_1196175171_31274670_2107918_n.jpg

Ended up with about three separate dustings here in CH. Here's a pic of the aforementioned half of a sandwich flizzard. My Droid's camera sucks at picking up snow, but this was the hardest I have seen it snow this year, and about equal to the height of the Jan 30 storm.

Went to a 7 o clock movie and it started snowing again, got out and just a couple teeny flakes with the grass re-covered.

165059_1566530321950_1196175171_31274670_2107918_n.jpg

What the hell is up with your location? We can't get ****. I was in North Raleigh for the afternoon, and they really get screwed.

This storm has really disapointed me. I really thought it was gonna be better and had a gut feeling that it would over perform for the Sanford and central NC area. We had a good burst of snow for about 20min around 2:00 or so and then some flurries of and on and some heavy sleet this afternoon and now it is drizzling a alittle with sleet everynow and then. But Im totally disapointed since I thought forsure all those black birds in my yard all week were trying to tell me a good storm was coming. Ohh well this is all really just bonus stuff anyway considering we have never really had this many little flurry type storms before Christmas and this has been the coldest Dec. on record for my area Im not complaining. Except for I wanted EYEWALL to have a nice Birthday present and not get the shaf again.!!!! But if a Christmas Mircale happens next weekend and we all get atleast a nice inch I would be soo happy with that!!!!!:snowman::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Snow Girl!!!:snowman:

Man that was really bad for most of us. I actually was in one of the best bands of the storm in NE Randolph county according to that precip map above where we got a good coating on almost everything.

I am really surprised it fell apart so fast for those North and East of me. The models were really really horrid on this event the whole way and then it severely underperformed in the end. What a shame. I am still glad to get what I got and actually feel quite lucky. We stayed in snow the whole time by the skin of my teeth I believe. Started about 1 hard for about 45 minutes than lite snow non stop until 5 or so with just a few periods in between where we just saw flurries. I hate it wasn't that good for most of you.

Now I'm really almost scared to look at the models because of how bad they did this time. I'm sure I will though.

Now what's this about a storm possibly tracking South near Christmas. :arrowhead:

Sadly I was out of town during the past 2 snow events so this was my first snow of the year! Too bad it was mostly a bust, but I saw a nice burst on my way to a Christmas party around 7-715pm.

I was really surprised to see how cold it has been especially after seeing many of our local ponds/lakes frozen over!

post-382-0-70394300-1292737714.png

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

1012 PM EST SAT DEC 18 2010

...BLACK ICE WILL DEVELOP OVERNIGHT...

.AS TEMPERATURES FALL BELOW FREEZING... MAINLY INTO THE UPPER 20S

TO AROUND 30 DEGREES IN THE ADVISORY AREA...MOISTURE FROM EARLIER

PRECIPITATION WILL FREEZE AND PRODUCE AREAS OF BLACK ICE...

PARTICULARLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. IN ADDITION...POCKETS OF

FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL DEVELOP OVERNIGHT AND EXACERBATE THE THREAT

OF BLACK ICE FROM SMITHFIELD TO LOUISBURG TO WARRENTON AND ESPECIALLY

POINTS EASTWARD THROUGH THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NC COASTAL PLAIN.

NCZ007>011-024>028-040>043-076-077-191400-

/O.CON.KRAH.WW.Y.0015.000000T0000Z-101219T1400Z/

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-

EDGECOMBE-CHATHAM-WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-LEE-HARNETT-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...

WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...

NASHVILLE...ROCKY MOUNT...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH...SMITHFIELD...

WILSON...SANFORD...LILLINGTON

1012 PM EST SAT DEC 18 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST

SUNDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST

SUNDAY.

* HAZARDS: STANDING WATER ON AREA ROADWAYS WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL

TO FREEZE OVERNIGHT AND CAUSE BLACK ICE THROUGH MID-MORNING

SUNDAY. PATCHY LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE

BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 700 AM... MAINLY NORTHEAST OF THE TRIANGLE.

* TIMING: PATCHY BLACK ICE WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD AS

TEMPERATURES FALL BELOW FREEZING THROUGH 100 AM AND REACH LOWS

IN THE UPPER 20S TO AROUND 30 DEGREES BY DAYBREAK SUNDAY.

TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE ABOVE FREEZING BY MID-MORNING... THOUGH

PATCHES OF BLACK ICE MAY PERSIST A COUPLE OF HOURS LONGER IN

SHADED AREAS.

* IMPACTS: DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS... ESPECIALLY

ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR

FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

$$

MWS

Archived