• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

Was very foggy early this morning, but it quickly burnt off and cleared up nicely.  Ended up hitting 85.

Local TV mets talking about the possibility of triple digit heat here next week.

Has triple digit heat ever occurred in the DVN cwa this late in the season?

Right now it only looks like highs near 90 here.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the 8/25 - 9/9 period, Moline's record highs are between 96-100.  

The latest 100+ on record was 100 on 9/15/1939...but even more amazing was a 99 on 9/29/1953.

That's nuts!

Definitely have awhile before the chances of summery weather disappear completely. 

Down to 56° here now. Nice night for a campfire in the backyard.

Chipping away those departures slowly. Will be interesting to see how much the heat wave will do to bring things towards normal.

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

That's nuts!

Definitely have awhile before the chances of summery weather disappear completely. 

Down to 56° here now. Nice night for a campfire in the backyard.

Chipping away those departures slowly. Will be interesting to see how much the heat wave will do to bring things towards normal.

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

A nice, brisk 54° this morning. Like you, I am enjoying it while it lasts. If the Euro is correct, we won't be chipping away at those negative departures, we will be blowing them away.

A nice, brisk 54° this morning. Like you, I am enjoying it while it lasts. If the Euro is correct, we won't be chipping away at those negative departures, we will be blowing them away.

I wonder how much yellow and orange we will end up seeing on that map by the end of the month. Some of those days toward the end could be 10+ per day. That swings the things upward very quickly.

Not looking forward to this.  Looks like we could squeeze a 96 or 97 degree reading at least one day out of this mess, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one Heat Advisory.

The kids are already  groaning.  First full week of school on Monday, but they have been in since last Wednesday.  The local elementary school is considering curtailing classes for at least Monday and Tuesday for the K-2nd graders.  The Jr High sent out a letter regarding "heat safety" for school for the coming week.  Looks like the tough days are going to be Monday, and especially Tuesday, and then again Friday.  The following weekend looks to be mid 80's, but I am sure those temps will be adjusted upward over the next few forecasts.  I am seeing forecasts ranging from 91 to 93 for Monday, and 92 to 95 for Tuesday, and then 92-94 for Friday. Right now, I am seeing 84 forecast for next Saturday and Sunday, but I would imagine it will be closer to 90, if not above by then.

It's kind of funny that the heat arrives just in time for school to start.  I can remember quite a few years like that. Pleasant temps for a few days, or a couple of weeks leading up to the start of school, and then warm weather (Upper 80's or warmer) for the first couple of days of school.

Not looking forward to this.  Looks like we could squeeze a 96 or 97 degree reading at least one day out of this mess, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one Heat Advisory.

The kids are already  groaning.  First full week of school on Monday, but they have been in since last Wednesday.  The local elementary school is considering curtailing classes for at least Monday and Tuesday for the K-2nd graders.  The Jr High sent out a letter regarding "heat safety" for school for the coming week.  Looks like the tough days are going to be Monday, and especially Tuesday, and then again Friday.  The following weekend looks to be mid 80's, but I am sure those temps will be adjusted upward over the next few forecasts.  I am seeing forecasts ranging from 91 to 93 for Monday, and 92 to 95 for Tuesday, and then 92-94 for Friday. Right now, I am seeing 84 forecast for next Saturday and Sunday, but I would imagine it will be closer to 90, if not above by then.

It's kind of funny that the heat arrives just in time for school to start.  I can remember quite a few years like that. Pleasant temps for a few days, or a couple of weeks leading up to the start of school, and then warm weather (Upper 80's or warmer) for the first couple of days of school.

It all depends on how far the back door front pushes to the SW, and if it can squeeze the heat ridge back in the longer term.

53° here this morning, was a bit surprised it got that low. 

I punched in my current grid forecast into my monthly spreadsheet through Friday and by then the departure is only -0.5° about. Lake breezes later in the week could save me from going positive this month.

It all depends on how far the back door front pushes to the SW, and if it can squeeze the heat ridge back in the longer term.

That would be some welcome relief. 

What does the longer term (say, Sept 6-15) show, as far as temps/precip.  The GFS I can access only goes to 10 days. 

That would be some welcome relief. 

What does the longer term (say, Sept 6-15) show, as far as temps/precip.  The GFS I can access only goes to 10 days. 

The GFS Ensembles, in general, are showing a front trying to bring us relief in the 9-12 day period or so.  In general, though, it seems normal to above average temps will be the rule in the next 2 to 3 weeks, but I think the Great Lakes and our northern position relative to many will help make the period bearable (a lot more 80s than 90s).

The GFS Ensembles, in general, are showing a front trying to bring us relief in the 9-12 day period or so.  In general, though, it seems normal to above average temps will be the rule in the next 2 to 3 weeks, but I think the Great Lakes and our northern position relative to many will help make the period bearable (a lot more 80s than 90s).

I pulled this GFS ENS mean off wxbell for next week.

post-2499-0-98420200-1377364084_thumb.pn

Temp holding fairly steady here. Probably a close repeat of yesterday.

Man, the lower level temps on the NAM are toasty. If clouds aren't an issue Tuesday, MKE probably would see mid 90's maybe even upper 90's.

Fwiw: The 12z NAM hires shows some convection/clouds scooting through SE WI early Tuesday afternoon.

Today is holding out pretty nice. Feels like it was yesterday so far.

Man, the lower level temps on the NAM are toasty. If clouds aren't an issue Tuesday, MKE probably would see mid 90's maybe even upper 90's.

Pretty much every GFS Ensemble run says it will be an issue.  The NAM is likely overdoing things, especially considering the metro just received some copious rain this week.  90s will happen at least once or twice, but I highly doubt anything over 95F.

Up to 86  here.  A tad warmer than forecast.  Looks like upper 80s today, and then the string of 90s start tomorrow.  I'm going with 92/94/96/93/90/91/95/98 for the Sun-next Sun time period for here and at MLI.  Back-door cool front won't have as much of a dramatic tempering of the heat this far away from the lakes. 

I think MKE could see a day or two in the upper 90s (if not Aug then early Sep) but I'm skeptical of anything above that.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't rule out upper 90s with full sun, but given the increasing signals for more moisture this week with NW flow around the impressive ridge and the fact that we had some much needed rain on Thursday, I really think people are just assuming we are bone dry like much of the rest of the Midwest.

My point is now down to 88F on Monday, the one day I think we will hit 90F for sure.  Go figure.  Tomorrow is probably a 50/50 proposition, any clouds will likely hamper that, and Tuesday will likely be the warmest pending convection.   Then it is back into the low to mid 80s, pretty nice comparatively.

85F/68F...was nice up until about noon or so...   allergies are horrible today.  This should be a really crappy stretch of sitting inside in the AC and only going out in the morning/night... 

At 9am the dew point was 51F and now at 3pm its 68F...  pretty impressive rise.

Yep, allergies will be bad, which is why any rain this region can get will have double benefit: easing the drought and alleviating allergies, if only for a day.

80/60 here, so not too bad yet. Lake wind has been constant today. 

My entire forecast past tomorrow has cooled off by 1-5°. 87, 90, 91, 82, 78, 84. I'd lol, if this ended up being a 2-3 day heat wave only!

Allergies have backed off since the rain fell, but I suspect they will be back by tomorrow. Hot dry offshore winds usually spike the ragweed pollen count.

96 hours GFS showing decent rains in WI towards Lake Erie.

GFS_3_2013082412_F96_PCPIN_96_HR.png

GEOS - Thanks so much for the beach info! 

What a gorgeous day..super nice breeze.  Leaving tomorrow for Ashland through labor day weekend..  Just a perfect week and holiday weekend of beach heat with hopefully a few rounds of storms thrown in.

Looking like an above avg fall temp pattern to me with that pig ridge out west paying us visits.

Archived