• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

August 23rd is a day that I'm sure many remember well in this area, especially those living in Michigan City. In '06 they had a 106 MPH wind gust with the storm that rolled in off of the lake and followed it up on 8/23/2007 with an 81 MPH gust.

'06 Satellite shot:

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full sunshine right now, which is surprising given we're in the wake of an MCS/MCV.

Not expecting anything of consequence this afternoon though.

And of course my expectations were right on the mark.

And in fact, to tote, useless cirrostratus filled the sky from those WI/SW MI/IL/IN storms after the 2 hours of full sunshine. Not even a hint of rain.

Still humid out! Thought the dewpoint would have dropped by now. Looks like strengthening NE winds overnight, so the atmosphere should get mixed out.

Had about 2 hours of good sunshine today, that was it though. Only 75° for a high.

Still humid out! Thought the dewpoint would have dropped by now. Looks like strengthening NE winds overnight, so the atmosphere should get mixed out.

Had about 2 hours of good sunshine today, that was out it though. Only 75° for a high.

Humidity noticeably dropped here by about 7, so it should be well on its way.

It was pretty foggy here this morning. It's burned off, but overcast remains here...only 70º at 1:00pm. Looks like we're in a relatively narrow corridor of cloudiness...from here to the northside of Indy and east to MIE. Otherwise, most locales are sunny to partly sunny and warmer. 

It was pretty foggy here this morning. It's burned off, but overcast remains here...only 70º at 1:00pm. Looks like we're in a relatively narrow corridor of cloudiness...from here to the northside of Indy and east to MIE. Otherwise, most locales are sunny to partly sunny and warmer. Yep. Sunshine and

Yep. Sunshine and 82° here. We had 1/4 mile visibility at sunrise, but it burned off before 10 AM.

It was pretty foggy here this morning. It's burned off, but overcast remains here...only 70º at 1:00pm. Looks like we're in a relatively narrow corridor of cloudiness...from here to the northside of Indy and east to MIE. Otherwise, most locales are sunny to partly sunny and warmer.

It's like the weather gods are smiling down on you.

11 degree spread between us and IND. Really shows what having (or not having) sun can do.

It's like the weather gods are smiling down on you.

11 degree spread between us and IND. Really shows what having (or not having) sun can do.

They know the pain I'm about to suffer though...so they threw me one last carrot today. :D

Nice spread yesterday between IND and LAF with max temps...88 vs 75. Clouds and rain FTW...for me anyway. 

They know the pain I'm about to suffer though...so they threw me one last carrot today. :D

Nice spread yesterday between IND and LAF with max temps...88 vs 75. Clouds and rain FTW...for me anyway.

Can't pick out a specific day but I think there's a good chance that this late August/early September period produces our hottest temperature of the summer. 93 is the number to beat.

Can't pick out a specific day but I think there's a good chance that this late August/early September period produces our hottest temperature of the summer. 93 is the number to beat.

Easily. Should have several opportunities in the next two+ weeks.

EDIT: might want to check with your guy on the westside. I think he's had like 5 or 6 official heat waves so far this summer at WLFI.  :arrowhead:

Sun finally making an appearance today. Off to the races.

I don't think I've ever seen mid 90s on the last week of August or in September before. Probably be in the low 90s around here next week. Hoping for some thunder activity close by or at least some debris clouds to keep the heat tempered down.

Oh man that looks great Geos..   Can you swim there?  I love that its right off the road where you could stop for a quick hr to have lunch or swim or wade around the shallows.  Any chance you would be kind enough to share where that is :wub:

That's a great place to stop for a short time. Good thing is that mostly locals only know about it and they usually just walk there, so there is usually parking there. Yes you can swim there.

It is in a section of Pleasant Prairie called Carol Beach along 1st Ave, between 107th-108th St. Red circle

Well this looks interesting... 

ecmwfUS_850_temp_168.gif

Toasty.  NWS adjusted the point down a few degrees since yesterday for next week.  Think it's just a matter of it being different mets doing the forecast, as I see zero reason to lower temps that were already a little conservative.

Rain gauge measured 0.01" of precip this morning from the heavy condensation of the fog into the gauge. 

ECMWF agrees.

Man I'm really looking forward to an intense burst of heat.  Just gonna make the first few cool blasts that much more dramatic when they arrive.  For those that don't like the heat at least they can take comfort in the fact that much cooler weather is probably only a few weeks away. 

Man I'm really looking forward to an intense burst of heat. Just gonna make the first few cool blasts that much more dramatic when they arrive. For those that don't like the heat at least they can take comfort in the fact that much cooler weather is probably only a few weeks away.

Indeed.

It looks like it will be a two part heat wave though. Sun-Tue, somewhat of a break with the back-door front on Wed/Thur, and then part 2 from Fri-Mon/Tue.

Archived