• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

Doesn't help that Forbes is still selling derecho as of ~20 mins ago on TWC...

So far the whole thing is surprisingly discrete. Would have expected more conglomeration by now.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CNN just had the best derecho moment ever.

Cooper: What's a derecho?

Myers: Well, it's a line of weather.

I gotta change my display name....I've had it since IRC chat, assorted tropical boards, and Wright-Weather in the 1990s - picked it because everyone was "hurricaneman" or "tornadoguy" and I wanted a completely obscure weather term that nobody knew, as a joke...

I think people here are bittercasting a bit too much.. even  if they come at one, there is quite a bit of instability and shear. Not to mention steep lapse rates, high helicity, etc. Maybe not moderate worthy, but easily high end slight risk.

Who actually thought this would be a historic high risk or something?

Tornadic cells not having a hard time forming over the Ohio warmfront. Somtimes these cells do better during nigh time hours.

sref really liked that region with some bleedover to us late.. tho that's probably clustered late night alarm clocks more than anything.

Major derechos are very hard to forecast in advance, even several hours before initiation.

agree.. tho im not sure this ever looked like a derecho pattern.. maybe out in that area where they get one or two a year by strict definition (tho many not really noteworthy in a pre2012 derecho environment).  it's a more amplified flow compared to typical ones that hit us at least. 

uh-oh.... that can't bode well for tomorrow..

I'm not quite sure what it would mean for tomorrow. HM suggested maybe it slows everything down which intuitively makes sense. Of course we could see some congealing of the line and speeding up still tonight. 

Archived