• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer 2013 Banter Thread

HailMan06

Since no one seems to have started a summer banter thread I'll start one.

Finally glad the heat and humidity are gone and hopefully won't be back for awhile.

I'm not a fan of the heat either but for me only yesterday was really unbearable. Thurs/Fri/Sat were actually fairly dry and there was a breeze. Those sort of days I can tolerate.

last year NYC got less than a half inch of rainfall from Sandy...sadly that was the only bright note...Most of the time NYC gets heavy rains from tropical storms or hurricanes...Agnes in June 1972 caused flooding inland but NYC got less than 2" of rainfall...There is a chance we see heavy rain from a tropical system next weekend...June is turning out to be as wet as May was...

rainfall in NYC from a tropical storm/hurricane...
date.................amount........
Sept 1882.......10.63"
Sept 1944.........7.76" great Atlantic hurricane
Aug 2011..........6.87" Irene
Aug 1955..........6.32" Connie
Aug 1971..........5.96" Doria
Sept 1938.........5.74" Long Island Express
Sept 1934.........5.48"
Sept 1999.........5.44" Floyd
Aug 1879..........4.59"
Aug 1976..........4.28" Belle
Oct 1877...........4.07"
Aug 1893..........3.94"
Sept 1904.........3.85"
Aug 1991..........3.72" Bob
Sept 1985.........3.58" Gloria
July 1960..........3.56"
Sept 1954.........3.30" Carol

Sept 1960.........2.42" Donna

some other heavy rain events were aided by tropical systems but they weren't named or recorded...

There's no bias. It's just too soon to warrant its own thread IMO

We're within 5 days now (Better Modeling) and we have decent agreement between the globals (GGEM/GFS/EURO) so I went ahead and pulled the trigger

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40424-weekend-heavy-rain-threat/

One thing is now the ground is quite saturated, where as in May we were dealing with near drought conditions.

These last two days have been absolutely perfect weather wise. Went to the beach and it was plenty warm in the sun, got a great tan. Don't need 90 degrees. This weather is warm enough for the beach and you can enjoy other outdoor activities at the same time. 

There is a real bias within this sub forum not to care about heavy rain storms, for whatever the reason.

I will make a thread for it though

Because its boring and rainstorms just ruins everyone's day. But I remember you have a flooding interest for where you live

Can't we move that warmup up a coupla days? Killing my weekend getaway out east. Sigh.

Sat/Sun could be interesting pending on how soon Andrea moves out and if any peice of energy is left behind.  There is a chance we see some sun and very humid conditions.  Sunday could be a very nice day.  ECM lost the cut off ULL over the northeast and cuts off over the southeast with decent weather early next week.  IM not sure I buy it but nice trend.  ECM, GFS, Ensembles increaing signal for heights rise as ridge builds east week of 6/16...

we have gotten just too much rain since that drought ended on May 8th. And I'm hearing that after tomorrow's tropical heavy rains, that there's more heavy rain on the way for Monday into much of next week. We really need to start getting another long break from the unsettled weather soon

Apologies for the IMBY question, but anyone want to take a guess at when the rain is going to clear out this weekend?  Family has a outdoor party planned in Westchester for tomorrow afternoon.  Seems like it's going to be hit or miss. 

Most models have the rain ending anywhere from 4am to 8am.

12z euro doesnt have any rain for Westchester after 8am tomorrow.

Apologies for the IMBY question, but anyone want to take a guess at when the rain is going to clear out this weekend?  Family has a outdoor party planned in Westchester for tomorrow afternoon.  Seems like it's going to be hit or miss. 

Tomorrow morning, things should clear.

Archived