12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2013 Mid-Atlantic Tropical Thread

Subtropics

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever chased one? I heard the eyewall has amazing structure ;)

no. don't have major desire to do so.. maybe once just to say i did.

edit: actually, we chased fay in old town.

I'd like to see a major enter the chesapeake just once in my life. Imagine a Cat three enter the chesepeake and hit 90 degree water and right front quadrant the mall.

One can only imagine how bad that would be..

Edit: Extrememly unlikely, but possible. Consider what would have been if Isabel had made her sharp northwest move about 100 miles northeast. That baby is making a beeline towards DC up the bay. An Isabel type pattern would make this scenario possible.2003isabel1.gif

I'd like to see a major enter the chesapeake just once in my life. Imagine a Cat three enter the chesepeake and hit 90 degree water and right front quadrant the mall.

One can only imagine how bad that would be..

the more destruction the better when it comes to hurricanes.

There are not many viable hurricane analogs for a DC-area impact. Hazel and Isabel are probably the most severe, and also the 1933 Potomac Hurricane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_Chesapeake%E2%80%93Potomac_hurricane

Edit: Upon further research, 1896 looks to take the cake. Hurricane force winds in Swath from NC to DC, ranking as one of the most significant wind events ever in this area on "record", if we are to believe the stories.

Sustained wind in DC hit 81 MPH.

1769 was probably one of the most severe and legit hurricanes to affect the chesepeake bay region.

It could maybe even be argued that DC is due.. although have to ask Mr. Livingston his opinion on that.

:lol: @ "due"

Haven't we been impacted by an ongoing TS or Hurricane in each of the last 3 years? 

Haven't we been impacted by an ongoing TS or Hurricane in each of the last 3 years? 

Yes, I believe so. Just because they were Hazel or Isabel, doesn't mean they were worthless. I was without power for 5 days after Irene... never lost it with Isabel. So what does that say?

We do live along a major body of water... That is like saying Dallas isn't due for a major twister because they have had a bunch of severe thunderstorms the past 3 severe seasons (example). I am talking about a significant wind event. SNE is even more "due".

Archived