Newest Member
    EWR757
5/29 Severe Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best fix in the world? 

Last week, or perhaps the week prior, we had an 87F afternoon here in Ayer.  Though the humidity was low, the nature of my home's construct is ideal for accumulating heat in any measure, in the bedrooms.  ...ha ha. 

Anyway, it was about 91F at bed time.  Dry dew-points or not, that is going to be uncomfortable for sleeping.  So, ...turn on the trusty old window- AC unit, the gentle rumble of the AC motor comes on, and then summarily and quite unsatisfyingly, it shuts off.   It ran for all of two-minutes, then mysteriously kicked off, leaving just the fan blowing and recirculating torrid dusty air.

Tossed and turned in a sweaty slumber that night.  

Luckily, the days and nights since have been temperate and cozy.  That's spared me the grief of spending money I really cannot afford to spend right now.  But, such a reprieve had a lease.   Duh duh dunnnn, as I face the sweltering reality of an ensuing three consecutive days of dragon fart afternoons, and night times that have zippo wind at 80 until 3am!   

In a desperate effort to bring the AC back to life, I start turning knobs to all kinds of different combinations in hope that some configuration will match the code that opens a thread of residual functionality, bringing the cooler back to life.   No luck.  AC aspect of AC unit appears to simple have died, and a dark poetic nexus of unemployment and delicate financial management time, with a torrid heat wave.    Head droops.  Heavy sigh of exhale.  Chin twitches back in forth with a soupcon of misery and persecution about one's expression.  The natural and quite human response of giving the machine a light disenchanted punch is administered, almost as an omission of defeat.  

Viola!  AC rumbles back to life!   All the frantic button and knob turning in the world, plying various mechanical suppositions to the device in a sophisticated response to the problem at hand could not handle the remarkable simplicity of a cave man's capitulation.  

I let it run for 10 minutes, too, to be sure it wasn't a fluke.  Well ... it is a fluke, but one that is still in operation some day and half post the application of a fist bump.  

THAT is how you fix a home appliance. 

I dont even try to go to sleep if its over 80 in a room, #hellonearth

I still remember a few summers ago in my girlfriend's BTV apartment, we had an inside temp on her digital thermometer of 92 at midnight...3rd floor attic apartment with no AC on the last night of a heat wave...I think we got into the upper 80s by morning.

Archived