joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty meager for running a lift.  When I think of "plenty" of people I think of like a few hundred like they do on a sunny weekend with just superstar open.

Give em credit for even opening at all.  It's not for financial gain clearly.  It's a step toward reingratiating themself with the skiing community.  And they've done a good job.  I'd pretty much swore them off, but I'm starting to consider them an option again.  (In a certain storm track of course)

That's pretty meager for running a lift.  When I think of "plenty" of people I think of like a few hundred like they do on a sunny weekend with just superstar open.

There where very few folks skiing last weekend, based on what I saw on the webcams and it was a bright and sunny weekend. That's part of the reason Killington went to weekends only on May 6th. Most folks have moved on to other outdoor activities at this point in the season.

temps creeping down on Stratton mtn . 36.7 @ 2500'

got 37 at Corinth,vt at 1700'

coles pond the lone 32 in NE vt

Groton vt 35.9  (down 3f in 2hr's) 1670'

peachem pond, Marshfield vt 1640' 35.4 (down 3.4F in 2hrs)

Based on Mansfield's temperatures...freezing level at 2900ft.  Makes sense with flakes making it down to 2100ft at Bolton but not sticking and not consistent all snow yet.

pfreak those temps are falling pretty impressively for may 26, during prime heating time. lol

the Conway road station is down to 35.6 at 1750'ish (starksboro) .  seems models were somewhat accurate with temp falls of about 3f in last 2hrs for many spots

I would think that might be a decent upslope spot later

I do think the cooling is happening a bit more sluggishly than guidance showed...I'm going to wait until later to go up to Bolton Valley.

It does look like some progress is finally being made though on those mesonet sites. Sfc winds are still mostly due north.

pfreak those temps are falling pretty impressively for may 26, during prime heating time. lol

the Conway road station is down to 35.6 at 1750'ish (starksboro) .  seems models were somewhat accurate with temp falls of about 3f in last 2hrs for many spots

5/25 as well.

Yeah temps are definitely falling, especially at 1,500ft and above where they are probably seeing more effects from melting snowflakes. 

That Starksboro location is usually really good in upslope precip being elevated on the immediate west slope. 

Impressive because the temps have been so rock steady over the past 12-18 hours and now are starting to fall as we head into what is normally the warmest part of the day in late May:

Starksboro station is down to 34.7F.  VAD showing winds coming in more NW just off the deck now so that may be helping the cooling.

Yeah Whiteface's auto road has an extra 800 verts on Mansfield's... that is probably making a huge difference this morning with 28-27F at Whiteface (4,800ft) and 31-32F at 4,000ft on Mansfield.

Though I just saw Mansfield has just put in the first 29F observation so its falling up there, too.  That's probably what is allowing snowflakes to get down to 2000ft now.

I'd like to see them fall to 27F or so to start thinking about snow down to 1,500ft.

1PM Temps:

4,000ft...29F

MPV (1,200ft)...39/37

MVL (730ft)...41/39

I think the NAM valid 18z may bust warm. 

GFS was just as cold and even colder at some spots.

I'm not expecting flakes here anymore, but I'm down to my low for the day.

I do think the cooling is happening a bit more sluggishly than guidance showed...I'm going to wait until later to go up to Bolton Valley.

It does look like some progress is finally being made though on those mesonet sites. Sfc winds are still mostly due north.

Yeah you could go see flakes now...but web cam doesn't look close to accumulating yet. 

Wait till this evening and hopefully the accumulating snow level will come down to 2,000ft or lower.  I'd save the drive for actual accumulations later.

It's now snowing fairly hard at the base of Superstar, i'd look there to judge lowering snow levels. Right now the snow is not accumulating with the temperature at 34F.

Mount Snow had some snow accumulation at the summit earlier today, but it's now melted away:

http://mountsnow.com/live-cams/

on radar precip looks to be breaking up from killington south, so that isn't gonna help snow levels ATM, i'd look north where precip is steady

when the hvy upslope gets establish'd.....maple mauler en route

The mesonets are dropping pretty fast now...a lot of them have lost 2F in the past hour. So the rapid cooling that model guidance has wasn't totally off base. Think they were maybe slightly aggressive on the cold, but overall its going fairly close to planned.

on radar precip looks to be breaking up from killington south, so that isn't gonna help snow levels ATM, i'd look north where precip is steady

when the hvy upslope gets establish'd.....maple mauler en route

I just mentioned Killington in particular due to the high elevation of the base webcam at 2,450', higher than any base cam that I know of in Vermont.

Watch things change over to wet snow above 1500' rather quickly after 3-4pm..or perhaps now. Looks like things going to plan so far. 

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 122 PM EDT SATURDAY...HAVE HAD SOME REPORTS OF SNOW AS LOW

AS 1500 FEET THIS MORNING. FORECAST STILL ON TRACK WITH LOW IN THE

GULF OF MAINE AND PRECIP SHIELD ACROSS VT AND EASTERN NY. PREVIOUS

DISCUSSIONS FOLLOW.

I just mentioned Killington in particular due to the high elevation of the base webcam at 2,450', higher than any base cam that I know of in Vermont.

no prob and tbh for some reason I was starting at the mtn snow cam that someone link'd which shows nothing much going on, it's dumping at the summit in killington , and steady at 2400.

In NVT temps are falling thru mid 30's in populated areas so ....could get fun by late afternoon.

It's snowing on the Bear Mtn Cam at Killington located at 2,080':

http://www.killington.com/winter/multimedia/webcam/bearmountain.html

Raining at the base of Mad River Glen at 1,600':

http://www.madriverglen.com/?Page=cams.html

Raining at the Dartmouth Skiway at 968':

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~skiway/webcam/

Raining at the base of Wildcat at 1,950 and snowing at the 4,000' summit:

http://www.skiwildcat.com/live-summit-cam.html

MPV just dropped 2F in 5 minutes...from 39/37 to 37/37.

MVL down to 39F. 

Both stations still reporting -RN but wind chills below freezing.  Awesome raw day on May 25th.

Interestingly enough, SLK at 1,600ft in the 'Dacks has seen precipitation lighten up and has since risen from 37F to 40F.

Archived