joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underhill State Park will get you to like 1,800ft I think and then you have to start walking. 

Bolton Valley will be your highest roadway in the area, or RT 108 past Stowe ski resort at Smugglers Notch (2,200ft).

I'm still really surprised that Bolton base area at 2,100ft has no accumulation yet or even looks to have a trace of snow sticking.  Leads me to believe accums are still closer to 2,500ft and above.

bolton-valley-webcam-image2.jpg

what is the Bolton temp, seems the sensor is broken on wunderground or not updating.

I was basically wondering Pfreak that if this becomes more a western slope deal, would 2200' be significantly better than 2100' in Bolton valley

Can no longer see the summit of wv, and appears to be snow on Welch-Dickey down to about 2200'.

Temp holding steady at 43.6/39 here at 43.6

Lost River at 1822ft is 36F with -RA still. Surprisingly MWN didn't report snow once...just lots of ZR.

what is the Bolton temp, seems the sensor is broken on wunderground or not updating.

I was basically wondering Pfreak that if this becomes more a western slope deal, would 2200' be significantly better than 2100' in Bolton valley

Bolton Valley is on the west slope.  If you connect the dots of the peaks, the crest is just east of them.

Bolton Valley is the upslope king usually as far as the ski areas go.  They'll get the like 40-inch fluff totals during those whopper NW-flow events in Dec/Jan. 

Man if only this was January...would be a good one.  MVL ripping 0.15"/hr the last two hours which is pretty decent QPF for a cold/synoptic storm.  Mansfield summit probably doing 1-2"/hr...will be interesting to see the COOP snow depth at the 4-5pm observation.

Continues to snow pretty steadily up near the office at 1,500ft in the Stowe base area...will need to lose another 2-3 degrees to really start thinking about accumulations as its been around 35F up there.

May25_Stowe_3pm.jpg

Lull coming in and then we'll have to see if that resurgence happens later this evening.

May25_3pm.gif

Shoot hopefully Dryslot fills in. Was a concern often but thought it would sort of stall/fill in with NW flow. Still think it will near and after 00z

Yeah... won't matter for the west slope/summits but for the rest of N VT it will make a big difference.

Will easily set the snowfall record for today, but doubt the co-op gets over 6" tomorrow.  Not completely unprecedented though with 6" falling on May 26, 1967 on the mountain.

Mansfield_records.png

That 1967 storm was really cold. Brought a trace of snow to BDL with morning temps in the 30s in R+

Yeah... won't matter for the west slope/summits but for the rest of N VT it will make a big difference.

I'm beginning to wonder about the upslope....the red flag I'm seeing is the wind direction.   Looking over the 12z models, its almost like the SFC low stalled too far south.  It is not forecast to move all that much through even 9z tomorrow morning. 

It just sits and rots just NNE of BOS and H85 winds stay northerly even into tomorrow morning.  I'd be much more gung-ho if that low was further north up near FVE/northern Maine which is the climo favored location for upslope.

Currently the winds are northerly turning NEly aloft...not really conductive to upslope at this point on the west slope.

May25_VAD_340pm.gif

Now here is the NAM progs for 9z tomorrow morning...

nam_namer_021_850_temp_ht.gif

Now, I'd like to see stacked SFC/H85/H7 lows over FVE in northern ME...even at 9z tomorrow morning this is still a little too far south for maximizing any upslope flow.

Streamlines are not very favorable if that low doesn't lift north to bring winds more NWly to hit the west slopes.  At 5am tomorrow morning the flow is still northerly.

That circulation has to be further north or else this will just rot without maximizing NW low level upslope under the mid-level lift.

nam_namer_021_850_stream.gif

i don't know about that jay, the lull is about to mt. Mansfield and moving steadily west.

some decent echo's moving into killington

Yeah I saw the increase in snowfall lately. Still a suprising number of hardcore skiers out there since nobody ski's in bad weather, especially in late May.

Archived