joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move that 300 miles sw and we're in business in winter. Fortunately, wavelengths now are different vs dec and jan.

my point was that in 2011 the alaskan vortex set up shop that autumn and basically never moved. a similar thing happened in 2006

Move that 300 miles sw and we're in business in winter. Fortunately, wavelengths now are different vs dec and jan.my point was that in 2011 the alaskan vortex set up shop that autumn and basically never moved. a similar thing happened in 2006

I thought 2 years ago it was further north.

my point was that in 2011 the alaskan vortex set up shop that autumn and basically never moved. a similar thing happened in 2006

The '06 vortex didn't set up until November...we actually had ridging out there in Sept/Oct which made it quite cold that autumn...esp in October. Then it flipped and screwed us for the next 2.5 months until we got rid of it in mid January 2007.

When I lived in NNJ, early snow (compared to climo) seemed usually to be followed by low-snow winters.  In Maine, early snow more often leads to good winters, 2011-12 being the glaring exception.

Its pretty much no correlation here in interior SNE...a mix of horrible and great winters.

A few of the horrible ones being 1988-1989, 1979-1980, and 2011-2012...a few of the blockbusters being 2000-2001, 1960-1961, and 2002-2003.

Archived