• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

Great post, Tip. Will had touched on that aspect that it may look such a way in the mean composites, but its the ebb and flow, intensification and relaxing of that feature that really leads to the snows. It makes sense as a PV isn't going to park on Montreal and not move or pulse for 4 months straight.

I'll admit my biggest winter fear if suppression like 09-10 so I sometimes have trouble conceptualizing the larger picture amid those composite mean snapshots.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post, Tip. Will had touched on that aspect that it may look such a way in the mean composites, but its the ebb and flow, intensification and relaxing of that feature that really leads to the snows. It makes sense as a PV isn't going to park on Montreal and not move or pulse for 4 months straight.

I'll admit my biggest winter fear if suppression like 09-10 so I sometimes have trouble conceptualizing the larger picture amid those composite mean snapshots.

Oh, right - yeah I didn't see Will's post, but that's definitely the general gist.   

It's one reason why I kind of cringe a little bit when I see people yelling "-NAO, -NAO, -NAO" without entering any qualification on that, such as whether it is arriving -NAO or weakening.   A statically negative NAO is really a bore most of the time, ...unless you like unrelenting cold with no snow.  Although, you may do okay with up-slope with persistent NW wind.   

My dream is a leading -EPO that collapses (ridge retrogrades S) into an emerging +PNA, while there is a weakly negative NAO.  That, right there, is bomb incarnate!

A statically negative NAO is really a bore most of the time, ...unless you like unrelenting cold with no snow. Although, you may do okay with up-slope with persistent NW wind.

Boring is right....and in my experience those dont bring much upslope aside from maybe D-2" SHSN activity that's essentially white dust. Usually with a big stable -NAO there's just no moisture up here for that wind to act on unless we are retro-grading lows from the maritimes or something.

I'm going to poo-poo my way to a record snow season this year, lol. I don't know why but I'm always really skeptical going into winter...but maybe that's just a defense mechanism to not be disappointed :lol.

Big NAO in 2009-10 was so enormous that we got marine garbage and ultimately too warm for snow up to the top Maine while NYC southward cashed in. A very rare scenario. We need NAO but frequently shifting around but it's just one index. Huge winter on the way folks.

Big NAO in 2009-10 was so enormous that we got marine garbage and ultimately too warm for snow up to the top Maine while NYC southward cashed in. A very rare scenario. We need NAO but frequently shifting around but it's just one index. Huge winter on the way folks.

The NAO can shift from E to W and vice versa too.

We def want a predominately -NAO in the winter...because that usually implies shifting around. Obviously if it stays completely static then it isn't as good but its quite rare you have a big -NAO in the winter that doesn't shift around. .

Yea, I guess I could have included e and ne VT with NH and ME, as part  of snowpackfetishville.

Unless the PV is centered on your grape, the ebbs and flows of within the sea of utter choas is the main determinant in whether or not you are spinking football, or hanging yourself from your heater.

The NAO can shift from E to W and vice versa too.

We def want a predominately -NAO in the winter...because that usually implies shifting around. Obviously if it stays completely static then it isn't as good but its quite rare you have a big -NAO in the winter that doesn't shift around. .

Right...it's inherent of most neg NAO regimes to have the PV closer to us here in the mid latitudes. This is crucial because it's the percise movement of that PV that exerts a great influence on the exact track of individual storm systems....and with the vortex so close to us, this can make all the difference between a KU, and an FU, especially since the movement of the PV is susceptible to the same wobbles as hurricanes because they are both prone to the small, subtle perturbations within the atmosphere.

Almost any intense meteorological entity will be.

The first 12 days of March have colder averages than 11/30.

Mid-November (11/15) has an average temp of 40F (47/33) at ORH. The same as April 2nd. 50s for lower elevations as you mentioned. The first 9 days of November average over 50F for highs even at ORH.

To my very amateur mind, I would count roughly December 6-10 through March 6-10 to be meteorological winter, and June 6-10 through a like period of September to be summer. I know that it is rounded or smoothed to December-February and June-August, but I have been played tennis in shorts plenty often in early December, and had more non-pool days in early June than I care to remember.

Right...it's inherent of most neg NAO regimes to have the PV closer to us here in the mid latitudes. This is crucial because it's the percise movement of that PV that exerts a great influence on the exact track of individual storm systems....and with the vortex so close to us, this can make all the difference between a KU, and an FU, especially since the movement of the PV is susceptible to the same wobbles as hurricanes because they are both prone to the small, subtle perturbations within the atmosphere.

Almost any intense meteorological entity will be.

As long as you smoke CF exhaust.

Lets pray for a couple of these storms...  100mph winds shattering windows and filling houses up with 4"/hr snows.

Buffalo during the 1977 blizzard...drifts in excess of 30 feet and wind-packed snow up to 10 feet deep on roads.

Its not a real blizzard until your windows break and your shoveling snow from your living room.

Car roof-top...

question01.jpg

blizzard-of-77-2-getty.jpg

Now that's a snowstorm... when the winds are so strong they wind-pack the snow into concrete that's like 6-10 feet thick.

dig-out-snow-car.jpg

Ji will also clean up. I'm going to own Kevin and not ever let him up for air tha winter wrt forecast.I haven't forecast anything. It's too soon to even make a guess which is what you guys are doing . Oct 15 is earliest

Cop out. We'll bump your negative posts. 10/15 is late these days. Bad sales strategy.

Cop out. We'll bump your negative posts. 10/15 is late these days. Bad sales strategy.

How are my posts negative? All Ive said is I'm nervous and uneasy about winter. That could go one way or another. I've never heard of locking in 100+ inches if snow and bitter cold wire to wire in mid August .. Too much can change over the next 2-3 months

Cop out. We'll bump your negative posts. 10/15 is late these days. Bad sales strategy.How are my posts negative? All Ive said is I'm nervous and uneasy about winter. That could go one way or another. I've never heard of locking in 100+ inches if snow and bitter cold wire to wire in mid August .. Too much can change over the next 2-3 months

You know there have been winters over the past 20 years which had torch October and delivered. I personally think the first 6-8 weeks of fall are aoa normal.

And Kevin, it won't be wire to wire but it will be strong for the majority of winter IMHO.What if all the good signs on Aug 16 shat the bed come Oct 15? Will you stay the course?

If we're good through September I'm all in. NPAC is everything to me (and nao).

Archived