• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

Well if Nino got strong enough to be officially weak, then Nino would become a big player. It would enhance the probability of PNA ridging and potentially get a weak STJ going. Those factors could be enormous for snowfall potential.

Yep things are lining up, lets see if Old man winter has the key, he sure is pumped. The consistency of LR modeling since May is pretty amazing, be very dis if it suddenly switched but of course that can happen. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep things are lining up, lets see if Old man winter has the key, he sure is pumped. The consistency of LR modeling since May is pretty amazing, be very dis if it suddenly switched but of course that can happen.

I'm not convinced at all we get even really close to a weak Nino.

We'll see how the next month goes, but its way late IMHO to get a Nino going before winter. Regardless, hopefully we see some positive signs in the pattern this autumn.

I'm not convinced at all we get even really close to a weak Nino.

We'll see how the next month goes, but its way late IMHO to get a Nino going before winter. Regardless, hopefully we see some positive signs in the pattern this autumn.

There's still a lot of cold water in the ENSO regions and back towards Baja California, signs of a -PDO/La Nina regime. I'd like to see semblance of a Kelvin wave as well as more cold water in the Aleutians before I buy a +ENSO/+PDO/+PNA pattern this coming winter.

The early and southward extent snow and ice cover is the 2nd most imp piece to puzzle. Pacific is # 1..NAO doesn't matter nearly that much

This statement (re nao) has been proven wrong repeatedly with real evidence. It would be like me telling people: take this med....I saw it work 2 years ago despite evidence based science saying the choice should be something else.

Well maybe Kevin is thinking Bering Sea area. Perhaps Will can find an example of a lousy vortex up there and we had an ok winter, but low heights up there will Chinook us for the most part. Now if you are thinking a -PNA is a lousy setup, that is not entirely correct. Look no further to our recent La Ninas.

Well maybe Kevin is thinking Bering Sea area. Perhaps Will can find an example of a lousy vortex up there and we had an ok winter, but low heights up there will Chinook us for the most part. Now if you are thinking a -PNA is a lousy setup, that is not entirely correct. Look no further to our recent La Ninas.

Our best patterns (esp in early winter) occur with a -PNA/-NAO.

I mean come on, any body who lives in coastal NE just needs to look at this chart and cross reference their favorite winter storm and then tell me they want a neutral nAO

Yep, -NAO is good. Obviously you'd like to to shift a bit in the winter rather than purely static...but a solidly negative NAO base state has a very high correlation to good winters here. Rarely is the NAO static all winter, so its not really something to worry about. Yes, dull periods can occur when it rots negative (like the 3 weeks of nothing after Feb '78 blizzard)...but the bookends often deliever the bigtime goods.

no way, you cleaned up Dec 09,the only reason we missed out on Feb 10 was the extraordinary ocean storm parked to our east

I said "on the whole". I don't want an insanely +NAO nor do I wand an insanley -NAO. I want it to be variable so it ends up around Neutral on average.

I'll take my chances with a neg nao any day of the week.

I'll take my chances with a neg nao any day of the week.

I agree with Etaunton that I think the variable is a changing NAO.  Tip's brought this up a lot in the past... maybe it comes out negative in the means, but we don't want just a static -NAO that sits there forcing everything out by the benchmark and beyond.  The ebbs and flows of it are what seem to bring the monster storms.

Archived