amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 15-19th Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is our first ever look at the new Environment Canada warning program. Info overload.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 2:09 PM EDT THURSDAY 18 APRIL 2013.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR:
=NEW= SARNIA - PETROLIA - WESTERN LAMBTON COUNTY
=NEW= CHATHAM-KENT - RONDEAU PARK
=NEW= WATFORD - PINERY PARK - EASTERN LAMBTON COUNTY
=NEW= WINDSOR - LEAMINGTON - ESSEX COUNTY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
UPDATED OR ENDED BY 5:00 PM EDT.

AT 1:50 PM EDT, METEOROLOGISTS ARE TRACKING A LINE OF SEVERE
THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL, DAMAGING WINDS,
TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS, AND FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING.

THESE STORMS ARE MOVING EASTWARD AT 80 KM/H AND ARE EXPECTED TO
CROSS THE BORDER FROM MICHIGAN BEGINNING JUST AFTER 2:45 PM.

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS THAT YOU TAKE COVER
IMMEDIATELY, IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES.

STRONG WIND GUSTS AND HAIL CAN DAMAGE PROPERTY AND CAUSE INJURIES.
LOCAL DOWNPOURS CAN CAUSE FLASH FLOODS.

GO INDOORS AND MOVE AWAY FROM WINDOWS AND SKYLIGHTS. AVOID AREAS OF
THE BUILDING THAT COULD BE AFFECTED BY FALLING DEBRIS SUCH AS TREE
LIMBS. STAY ON THE LOWER FLOOR OF YOUR HOME OR BUILDING AND IF THE
STORM IS PARTICULARLY SEVERE GO TO THE BASEMENT.

AVOID DRIVING THROUGH WATER ON ROADS. EVEN SHALLOW FAST MOVING WATER
ACROSS A ROAD CAN SWEEP A VEHICLE AWAY.

REMEMBER, SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE TORNADOES.

IN CANADA, LIGHTNING KILLS UP TO 10 PEOPLE EVERY YEAR. REMEMBER,
WHEN THUNDER ROARS, GO INDOORS.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
HTTP://WWW.EMERGENCYMANAGEMENTONTARIO.CA/ENGLISH/BEPREPARED/BEPREPARED.HTML

ENVIRONMENT CANADA CONTINUES TO MONITOR THE SITUATION CLOSELY. STAY
TUNED TO YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OR WEATHERADIO FOR FURTHER UPDATES. IF YOU
WOULD LIKE TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER, YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO
[email protected].

END/SPC

first severe thunderstorm warning of the season for my area

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI219 PM EDT THU APR 18 2013MIC087-125-181900-/O.CON.KDTX.SV.W.0002.000000T0000Z-130418T1900Z/LAPEER MI-OAKLAND MI-219 PM EDT THU APR 18 2013...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR EASTERNOAKLAND AND LAPEER COUNTIES UNTIL 300 PM EDT...AT 217 PM EDT...A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WAS LOCATED ALONG ALINE EXTENDING FROM NORTH BRANCH TO CLARKSTON TO NORTHVILLE...ANDMOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING AND TREES.SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...  NORTH BRANCH AND WEST BLOOMFIELD AROUND 225 PM EDT.  LUM AND PONTIAC AROUND 230 PM EDT.  IMLAY CITY AND DRYDEN AROUND 235 PM EDT.  SOUTHFIELD AND ROCHESTER AROUND 240 PM EDT.  TROY AND ROYAL OAK AROUND 245 PM EDT.THE WARNING INCLUDES AREAS SURROUNDING THESE LOCATIONS...  WEST BLOOMFIELD...    LUM...                TROY...  SOUTHFIELD...         ROYAL OAK...          ROCHESTER...  PONTIAC...            OXFORD...             ORTONVILLE...  NORTH BRANCH...       METAMORA...           LAPEER...  IMLAY CITY...         HADLEY...             DRYDEN...  COLUMBIAVILLE...      CLARKSTON...          BIRMINGHAM...  ALMONT...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE WARNED AREA. TORNADOES CANDEVELOP QUICKLY FROM SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. ALTHOUGH ONE IS NOTIMMEDIATELY LIKELY...IF A TORNADO IS SPOTTED...ACT QUICKLY AND MOVETO A PLACE OF SAFETY INSIDE A STURDY STRUCTURE...SUCH AS A BASEMENTOR SMALL INTERIOR ROOM.&&LAT...LON 4289 8310 4245 8308 4244 8344 4323 8346      4328 8301 4290 8298TIME...MOT...LOC 1819Z 262DEG 36KT 4322 8324 4277 8335          4245 8351HAIL...<.75INWIND...60MPH$$BEHNKE

Never seen a storm hit that fast in my life. I was just standing there, enjoying 50-60 mph wind gusts, wondering when it was gonna start raining. All of a sudden I see this wall of rain speeding towards me across the field like a frigging freight train. **** went full beast mode for like 2 min and now we're back to drizzle.

That was kinda redic.

Tor warning for Carbondale IL area now.  And as I look at IND radar loops it seems convection is moving more northward rather than eastward with incipient cells ahead of the line beginning to pop up east of Vincennes.

The stuff south of I-70 should be the start of the activity that will eventually work into southern MI around nightfall.

I've never seen a storm hit so hard so fast. Was just standing there, enjoying a 50-60mph gust front wondering when the rain was gonna come. Then all of a sudden I see this wall of rain barreling toward me across the field like a friggen freight train. It went from nothing to a torrential, sideways downpour in less then a second, no exaggerating. Thing went full beat mode for like 2 min and then stopped.

Really cool storm.

Pics in a bit

Central Illinois stuff ramping up now. New shortwave energy, the back/southern part, is coming out of Ark. That'll track east to Indiana. Figure central/southern Illinois has building tornado threat this afternoon. Southwest Indiana may get it late afternoon early eve. Rest of Indiana mainly straight winds. PDS box mostly due to high winds. Note the hatched 45% wind in the main Convective Outlook. Hatched 10% tornado is business as usual in a MDT risk. Be safe and enjoy!

Central Illinois stuff ramping up now. New shortwave energy, the back/southern part, is coming out of Ark. That'll track east to Indiana. Figure central/southern Illinois has building tornado threat this afternoon. Southwest Indiana may get it late afternoon early eve. Rest of Indiana mainly straight winds. PDS box mostly due to high winds. Note the hatched 45% wind in the main Convective Outlook. Hatched 10% tornado is business as usual in a MDT risk. Be safe and enjoy!

I kinda disagree with that about the PDS watch.  The 70/60 tornado probs seem to indicate they were expecting something that as of yet has not come close to materializing.

That said, the Carbondale storm is looking more and more threatening.

Archived