• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cicada Madness 2013 - Track the 17 Year Cycle and Return of Brood II

The large brood of the 17-year periodical cicadas (genus Magicicada) will return this spring across portions of the north east.. These insects spend 17 years of their life cycle living underground. Then they emerge in large numbers, up to 1 billion (thats billion with a b ) per square mile to breed. Their mating noise is among the loudest of all sounds produced by insects. In the largest areas of concentration, their sound becomes quiet loud and even creepy. It can exceed 90 dbz and last for a few weeks. The image colors below indicate concentrations from the previous event in 1996 with red in northern NJ and Connecticut having the highest concentrations.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this sounds absolutely splendid and pleasant.

Not exactly but they're pretty fascinating. Their surfacing is triggered entirely by the weather. When soil temp 8" down reaches 63 degrees, only then will they begin their slow dig to the surface. They are also one of the longest lived insects.

does that mean more of these?

The Cicada Killer, at 1 - 2" they're the only wasp I've ever seen equipt with its own landing lights. No, these prey on the anticipated biannual cicadas. The 13 and 17 year broods life cycle is too long for these predators to predict. It's even suggested that the prime numbers of 13 and 17 have something to do with preventing predation. Some fungas that attacks cicadas have a two year cycle to follow the biannual cicadas. Its possible that the 13 and 17 yr broods evolved to avoids this predator almost entirely as they only intersect with the fungas twice a century. That's pretty wild.

The Cicada Killer, at 1 - 2" they're the only wasp I've ever seen equipt with its own landing lights. No, these prey on the anticipated biannual cicadas. The 13 and 17 year broods life cycle is too long for these predators to predict. It's even suggested that the prime numbers of 13 and 17 have something to do with preventing predation. Some fungas that attacks cicadas have a two year cycle to follow the biannual cicadas. Its possible that the 13 and 17 yr broods evolved to avoids this predator almost entirely as they only intersect with the fungas twice a century. That's pretty wild.

I never saw one of those wasps until I moved into my house in 2006..scared the bejesus out of me..but generally they wont bother you

To bad they arent on LI. I had the pleasure of seeing them in 2004 in Maryland. Unreal, I was graduating from college and my family was in town. We were actually talking about it the other day... I havent seen anything insect wise like that before or since. There were literly thousands on every inch of the ground, walls and trees. You had to walk over them crunch crunch time!!! :lmao:

To bad they arent on LI. I had the pleasure of seeing them in 2004 in Maryland. Unreal, I was graduating from college and my family was in town. We were actually talking about it the other day... I havent seen anything insect wise like that before or since. There were literly thousands on every inch of the ground, walls and trees. You had to walk over them crunch crunch time!!! :lmao:

They are on LI. There was a small outbreak of them 4 years ago here on LI.

They are on LI. There was a small outbreak of them 4 years ago here on LI.

Not being d but there was an article in Newsday the other day that said they are not, not at least this particular brood. (I normally wouldn't cite Newsday but they interviewed reliable sources) There are some 17 year cicadas in isolated places way out in Suffolk though but not enough to be of any consequence.

You are probably thinking of the biannual green eyed cicadas we all played with as kinds. These other guys have red eyes and are sooooooo loud once you have experienced them you will never ever forget it.

Not being d but there was an article in Newsday the other day that said they are not, not at least this particular brood. (I normally wouldn't cite Newsday but they interviewed reliable sources) There are some 17 year cicadas in isolated places way out in Suffolk though but not enough to be of any consequence.

You are probably thinking of the biannual green eyed cicadas we all played with as kinds. These other guys have red eyes and are sooooooo loud once you have experienced them you will never ever forget it.

I don't see a reason for them not to be on LI. I don't have access to the full article on newsday though. In the 1996, there was an outbreak on the entire east coast, including LI. They might be spotty here on LI. I can hear some bugs in some other places on LI that aren't hear. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/03/cicadas-to-invade-tri-state-area-for-month-long-stay/

I don't see a reason for them not to be on LI. I don't have access to the full article on newsday though. In the 1996, there was an outbreak on the entire east coast, including LI. They might be spotty here on LI. I can hear some bugs in some other places on LI that aren't hear. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/03/cicadas-to-invade-tri-state-area-for-month-long-stay/

Right on, here a is challenge... Find a red eyed cicada and post a pic. No cheating though it has to be on LI. I will remind myself to check this thread in early June when they are around.

Right on, here a is challenge... Find a red eyed cicada and post a pic. No cheating though it has to be on LI. I will remind myself to check this thread in early June when they are around.

What? I'm not challenging you on anything. You might be right haha. I'm just unsure. I'm not that big on bugs. With billions of these things just to our west, it might be possible for some to journey out to here.

Wow, that would actually make sense, too.

I was in DC for the cicadas in '03 and they were everywhere, the old husks were literally piled around all telephone poles etc... I doubt there will be any in NYC though?

Anyone here remember the cicada invasion on Staten Island in 1962?   While approaching Silver Lake Park and Camp Pouch (Boy Scout site) the sound was like that of a low frequency air raid siren.   The creatures were colliding with the trees and themselves, and yes hitting you in the head, harmlessly most of the time.   They were squishy underfoot where the dead were adding up fast.   I think this was in June.  One other memory at this time was seeing the towers of the Veranzano Bridge complete but no roadbed and the main cables still being strung!  Had to use the ferry that was somewhere around 65-69th. Sts. to get to that Boy Scout campsite.

It's strange that I was in Monmouth County in 1996 and don't remember this one bit... Perhaps they just weren't there? 

Interested to hear what folks in Sussex County NJ remember since I am now a resident there.  REALLY would like to avoid every single bit of this as I saw the other brood in D.C. in 2004 and the 13 year brood in Nashville, TN in 2011.  It's terrible.  Absolutely disgusting.

It's strange that I was in Monmouth County in 1996 and don't remember this one bit... Perhaps they just weren't there? 

Interested to hear what folks in Sussex County NJ remember since I am now a resident there.  REALLY would like to avoid every single bit of this as I saw the other brood in D.C. in 2004 and the 13 year brood in Nashville, TN in 2011.  It's terrible.  Absolutely disgusting.

Well we get them every year. I don't remember 1996 being particularly bad either

Well we get them every year. I don't remember 1996 being particularly bad either

Right --- the every year Cicadas.  These ones are remarkably different having seen them in DC and Nashville.  It's unreal and trees/the ground/your car/you can be covered at times and the news is just deafening.  I'll pass...

Interested to hear what folks in Sussex County NJ remember since I am now a resident there. REALLY would like to avoid every single bit of this as I saw the other brood in D.C. in 2004 and the 13 year brood in Nashville, TN in 2011. It's terrible. Absolutely disgusting.

There were pockets of activity in Monmouth in 1996. I do remember hearing and seeing some but it was nothing like north Jersey. Much of Monmouth was developed during the previous broods prior to 96 so their habitat 8" down was largely destroyed. That could very well change this go around as development has slowed considerably since then and any movement of the brood southward during the 96 outbreak could make things interesting here. .

Archived