• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cicada Madness 2013 - Track the 17 Year Cycle and Return of Brood II

LOL. I don't know where that was filmed but I know I have never seen anything even close to that before in these parts.

It was filmed in Park Ridge, IL. AbsoluteHumidity makes a good point, the 1996 brood's habitat was demolished due to all the development Monmouth county went through from 1979 to 1996. Such development has not happened since 1996 until now. Should be interesting to see what happens. I am from Howell, NJ originally near Absolute's area and also do not recall 1996 being anything significant if at all. Hopefully because the original habitat that existed in 1979 was no longer existing back in 1996 it cannot be reestablished in 2013. This will be my first go around here in North Jersey but we are in a very urbanized area here in Eastern Bergen so I expect nothing noticeable other than maybe a bit louder cicada noises than normal earlier in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the map, NYC immediate area is starting to explode with cicadas. Elsewhere on the East Coast and NJ, nothing seen until you get to North Carolina.

Soil temps generally around 58-60 in NJ and NYC near 64F now, due to the UHI likely.

Anyone notice the barn swallow activity has been insane lately? Never seen it like this before. Tons of them swooping low near the ground and around the trees. Maybe it's a precursor to the cicada-pocalypse? Reminded me of the movie "Birds". Classic.

Anyone notice the barn swallow activity has been insane lately? Never seen it like this before. Tons of them swooping low near the ground and around the trees. Maybe it's a precursor to the cicada-pocalypse? Reminded me of the movie "Birds". Classic.

I haven't noticed anything unusual, although even with little to no rain the grass and dandelions have been growing like crazy.

Friends of mine were gardening over the weekend and kept digging up cicadas, so I guess you need not see the holes in the ground for them to be there.

Yeah, I was noticing that this weekend while doing some work around the house this weekend. 

Three to four came swooping down real low while I was cleaning the gutters. Thought it was rather odd since the cicadas aren't even out yet. 

Billions maybe a trillions of cicadas about to emerge. Feels like the beginning of bad horror movie already:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_CICADA_INVASION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-06-14-19-13

I found this interesting:

Of course, most places along the East Coast won't be so swamped, and some places, especially in cities, may see zero, says Chris Simon of the University of Connecticut. For example, Staten Island gets this brood of cicadas, but the rest of New York City and Long Island don't, she says.

I found this interesting: Of course, most places along the East Coast won't be so swamped, and some places, especially in cities, may see zero, says Chris Simon of the University of Connecticut. For example, Staten Island gets this brood of cicadas, but the rest of New York City and Long Island don't, she says.

That is definitely interesting. I wonder what urban areas of counties like Bergen and Hudson will encounter. I imagine most areas like mine just along the Hudson River will probably experience similar to New York City. There is definitely a habitat available in these areas of NJ unlike Manhattan but so much development has occurred in 17 years that I find it hard to believe these areas would see much of a presence. I have not noticed anything as of yet that would lead me to believe we are about to get infested. Forky mentioned a friend of his in Englewood (10 minutes north of me) noticed some holes, can't say I can confirm that in my area. I am more interested what folks in Monmouth (where I grew up) are noticing because I do not recall anything significant in 1996 when I was still in my hometown of Howell and that is definitely due to significant development from 1979-1996. As mentioned earlier in this thread once the habitat is destroyed I would love to see how resiliant these insects are. Less cicadas to lay eggs back in 1996 means less impact in 2013. Can they noticeably impact areas ever again with such initial habitat destruction?

That is definitely interesting. I wonder what urban areas of counties like Bergen and Hudson will encounter. I imagine most areas like mine just along the Hudson River will probably experience similar to New York City. There is definitely a habitat available in these areas of NJ unlike Manhattan but so much development has occurred in 17 years that I find it hard to believe these areas would see much of a presence. I have not noticed anything as of yet that would lead me to believe we are about to get infested. Forky mentioned a friend of his in Englewood (10 minutes north of me) noticed some holes, can't say I can confirm that in my area. I am more interested what folks in Monmouth (where I grew up) are noticing because I do not recall anything significant in 1996 when I was still in my hometown of Howell and that is definitely due to significant development from 1979-1996. As mentioned earlier in this thread once the habitat is destroyed I would love to see how resiliant these insects are. Less cicadas to lay eggs back in 1996 means less impact in 2013. Can they noticeably impact areas ever again with such initial habitat destruction?

Your last question is an excellent one and I'd like to know the answer myself as in Monmouth, I too wonder. In 1996 the activity was sparse at best down here but development has also slowed dramatically since then. In Freehold, I haven't see any holes in my yard but most of it has had a good 1 to 2 feet of top soil added due to an addition put on in 2006. Plus we've had some really cold nights here, even in the micro UHI in town, temps down to freezing just a few days ago so any 64 f temps are likely weeks away.

Guest Patrick

I've seen tiny holes on the lawn around here lately, but too small to be cicadas. The small holes in the ground happen every year, not sure what type of bug though.

Some of the smaller holes could be from a number of beetles, or might also be from birds...

In my area, we now need to add in the impact of the flooding we experienced today which was very eye-opening considering we've had no significant rain for weeks. Can't imagine this kind of flooding being beneficial to the habitat and the cicadas' climb to the surface. Water was gushing out of manholes this morning which is very odd to see in my area even in the most torrential rains. Impressive totals (maybe even a tad low as depicted here) supporting the flooding I saw today. Can't possibly be good for the cicadas.

5-8-201310-26-42AM_zps558f6692.png

Archived