Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cicada Madness 2013 - Track the 17 Year Cycle and Return of Brood II

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this, there are Brood II 17-year cicadas here in Suffolk county. Same Brood probably the same year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see cicadas around here.

http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/databases/magicicada/magi_search.php

*You have to change the search fields to Brood II, NY, Suffolk, or you can do it in your own county and state.

In Monmouth County, my mean temps for the first 8 days of May were all < 56 degrees with many barely at 50F.

Just the past 4 days have seen mean temps in the 60-65F range, with two days at 66F mean.

So I would think our soil temps are still a good bit below 64F at least locally. And with the cool shot early week, I think any cicadas are probably 7-10 days away for Monmouth County.

I've seen tiny holes on the lawn around here lately, but too small to be cicadas. The small holes in the ground happen every year, not sure what type of bug though.

Those are the local varieties of digger bees:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=923&q=digger+bees&oq=digger+bees&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5j0i24l4.1503.3457.0.3955.11.10.0.1.1.0.77.574.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.baVaf0VvsWo

We get them by the hundreds every spring.  Free aeration for the lawn.

I haven't seen holes like the ones those digger bees make. I asked my parents if they remember anything abnormal with the summer of 1996. They do remember the cicadas of '96.

Archived