Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cicada Madness 2013 - Track the 17 Year Cycle and Return of Brood II

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the areas in Monmouth we were speculating about are exhibiting a significant cicada presence that I do not recall seeing in 1996 while living in my hometown of Howell. This picture from just yesterday is from Freehold, NJ which, as you know, is just ten minutes north of Howell:

cidjd.jpg

Wow! I live in the Boro and have not seen or heard one yet.

Wow! I live in the Boro and have not seen or heard one yet.

I'd imagine the borough being a little more urbanized would experience a little less activity. My aunt lives off of Three Brooks Rd. I wonder if that vicinity has seen activity like in the picture. My Aunt doesn't pay attention to that stuff so she wouldn't know lol. Another section to explore would probably be the developments in and around Freehold Township High School. My best friend teaches history there (he also lived in Howell on my block just two houses down and doesn't recall 1996 being anything of note) so I guess I could ask him if anything is happening this year. His parents still live on the block we grew up on so maybe they've seen some.

It seems like the last two days were the peak here. They are out and about today, but a bit quieter than yesterday. Noticing a lot of dead ones around that looked to be healthy -- so they are definitely mating and dying. I'd venture to guess the peak has passed. 

Archived