northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly 2 and a quarter inches of rain here last night in the Elkhart/Goshen area.  Yeah, I would rather have a few days of warm and sunny skies but I do appreciate this highly unusual storm system we have just experienced across our nation and the fact that mother nature is truly choosing to swing the pendulum from last year's record setting March and then somewhat cooler April.  I do enjoy the variety and surprises nature has in store even if it doesn't meet my expectations. That's why weather is so fascinating.

That's an impressive amount of sleet.   Congrats man it sure beats rain.

Got me to almost exactly normal snowfall on the season so it wasn't just a nuisance. Hanging out at 32 now. I'll try to pull an ice storm this evening but it'll be a close call.

Looks like you'll get your chance at frozen around D7. And you can have it.

Tonight should be interesting for Toronto. If all the precip falls as freezing rain overnight it'll be a nightmare for the morning commute.

Dewpoints still well below freezing. But I'm wondering if heavy precip will induce latent heat release, since it's going to get very warm aloft (~+10c at 850) and actually mitigate any potential icing.

Got me to almost exactly normal snowfall on the season so it wasn't just a nuisance. Hanging out at 32 now. I'll try to pull an ice storm this evening but it'll be a close call.

Looks like you'll get your chance at frozen around D7. And you can have it.

Up to 3.7" of rain this week.  Good luck with the ice storm..  I'd pass on that though.

This winter really turned around after the bad start for us all thankfully.  Kudo's to michigansnowfreak calling for a back loaded winter.

That pic looks way better than puddles in the grass.  Nice man cave shed outback in case the GF kicks you out.

Ended up with 1.2" of sleet (and maybe some snow?) at my home in Etobicoke. Really tight gradient across the western half of Toronto. Only a faint dusting of sleet where I work in Mississauga.

Haha thats amazing Canuck, yeah i got about 1.6" of sleet and snow mixed together. Certainly a late bloomer, but nice to see. Though i'm in the mood for some warmth and that doesnt look likely over the next week either :(

Temperatures at 0.0C at my place. 

This is the snow depth down by the river and in the woods.  6-9" mostly.  Sure looks and feels like winter.  Temp down to 29 with a dp of 17 and a gusty 30 mph wind at times... steady sleet.

Long end to winter for the deer..  at least winter started late and it wasn't too cold.

Long end to winter for the deer..  at least winter started late and it wasn't too cold.

for sure! any areas that have opened up in fields, you'll see herds by the 50.  have had straight snow cover for over 4 months now, and yes the snow cover was a month late up this way.

moderate freezing rain now with sleet too. getting nasty fast.

Nothing like some grease stains in my thong unders... this weather is for the ducks.  Hey..the NAEFS looks....the same...again.

I was really hoping and thinking this crap would be over by mid-month. There is still on average 2' of ice up north with reports of even 30"+ yet and opening weekend of fishing is may 4th I believe.  Might be ice fishing this yr or stuck to the rivers up there.

Impressive sleet accumulations up there in Toronto. Only a 'dusting' of sleet here, mostly in the afternoon hours. Decent layer of ice on trees, lines, cars and now beginning to coat the sidewalk (although very thinly).

Temp -1.2C, dewpoint -1.9C

Winds starting to ramp up now. Trees are making a crackling noise when moving in the wind.

Lots of standing water in the farm fields around here.  Hopefully it dries up a bit in coming weeks for the farmers. 

I have no skill at long range forecasting, but a hot and dry summer sure doesn't seem likely just by the way this year "feels".  Mosquitoes are gonna be horrible this spring I think.

Ain't pretty, but winter's hanging on by a thread...

attachicon.gifIMG_1322.JPG

Id take that over cold rain!

Thats more pure sleet than I can ever recall seeing, and in April no less. Be interesting to see how long it takes to melt. In winter this would have made a wonderful base for snowpack....but it is now almost mid-April.

So what does that put YBY at (not sure if your sig updated)...was it 50 for you or Toronto?

The last two days have been a snoozefest, especially today.  It's been raw and awful, but as per usual with this pattern, the temperature departure won't quite reflect the weather, as the lows are having a difficult time making it below freezing.  Been a blowing mist or light rain all day.

Might see a few snow showers around here tomorrow night.  May even see some snow pellets/we flakes mix in with some rain showers tomorrow afternoon.  Even though there's a chance at some snow in the long-range, there's a chance tomorrow could be the last day of the season with flakes.

Yeah, I have a golf outing tomorrow... Scramble... Should be miserable.

Archived