joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late March snow blitz! Part II March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, some of these pics remind me of the GHD storm.  Looks like a crapload of snow for many of you guys.  17" at SPI is very impressive indeed.

What models do you guys think did best with this?  Up here the Euro easily did the best, as it consistently forecast amounts from 1-3".  The NAM and GFS bounced around all over the place, and at times gave us a foot or more.  Sounds like the Euro didn't do as well for some of you guys though, so it sounds like it may have depended on where you were. 

Wow, some of these pics remind me of the GHD storm.  Looks like a crapload of snow for many of you guys.  17" at SPI is very impressive indeed.

What models do you guys think did best with this?  Up here the Euro easily did the best, as it consistently forecast amounts from 1-3".  The NAM and GFS bounced around all over the place, and at times gave us a foot or more.  Sounds like the Euro didn't do as well for some of you guys though, so it sounds like it may have depended on where you were. 

Euro was good for LAF, even if it shifted south a tad at the end. NAM was a disaster, going from a big hit to a whiff in the span of a couple of runs. GFS was ok. RGEM and GGEM did very well I thought, again for here.

Snow keeps rotating in here this morning from the north/northeast. It doesn't want to quit evidently. :D

Here you go afterimage. Buried in the Muncie area.

1009 AM     SNOW             2 E MUNCIE              40.20N  85.35W03/25/2013  M10.5 INCH       DELAWARE           IN   TRAINED SPOTTER            ONE MILE EAST OF THE MUNCIE BYPASS AT EAST CENTENNIAL            AND EAST LAFAYETTE DRIVES. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL.

Hokey smokes....wow...outstanding to all...has to be great to go out of winter this way

Euro was good for LAF, even if it shifted south a tad at the end. NAM was a disaster, going from a big hit to a whiff in the span of a couple of runs. GFS was ok. RGEM and GGEM did very well I thought, again for here.

Snow keeps rotating in here this morning from the north/northeast. It doesn't want to quit evidently. :D

Sweet, hopefully you can get another inch and get to the 1ft mark.  :snowing:

Hokey smokes....wow...outstanding to all...has to be great to go out of winter this way

Awesome way to go out. Never could have dreamt this up, so late in the season.

Sweet, hopefully you can get another inch and get to the 1ft mark.  :snowing:

lol, yep. 

IND reporting moderate snow right now. 

Here you go afterimage. Buried in the Muncie area.

1009 AM SNOW 2 E MUNCIE 40.20N 85.35W

03/25/2013 M10.5 INCH DELAWARE IN TRAINED SPOTTER

ONE MILE EAST OF THE MUNCIE BYPASS AT EAST CENTENNIAL

AND EAST LAFAYETTE DRIVES. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL.

Seriously? I havent measured since 6am, but I feel ripped off with my 5"this morning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with the Gem products.  Major differences are showing up in the 7-10 day period. Suffice it say the Euro shows another major winter storm along 40° N from the lee of the Rockies all the way to the east coast.  The GFS shows a major rain maker.

Seriously? I havent measured since 6am, but I feel ripped off with my 5"this morning. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think you got screwed.

Meanwhile, Patrick nearing a foot...

1045 AM     HEAVY SNOW       MARION                  40.56N  85.66W03/25/2013  M11.5 INCH       GRANT              IN   EMERGENCY MNGR

Per Kansas Citys graphic it does looks like 4-9" (higher south, less north) with MCI officially 5.4". FWA had 4.3", SBN T, and IWX 3.7". The 6-10" were further south towards IND/LAF...which is why I said the WINNERS were LAF/STL. All I meant by that was areas who had the most snow.

2  10" amounts in the area..

But MCI "area" did pretty well considering it's location for this time of year...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=eax&storyid=93536&source=0

looks like LAF/STL areas are the winners with this one. Sounds like it busted low in OH.

Central Ohio maybe... up further north? Not at all. Having that sfc low track up to CMH and now a bit northeast of there helped us considerably. 

I have approximately 3.5-4" here and its still coming down at a light pace. Based on radar that's not gonna stop anytime soon. A lot of local forecasts here were going with 1-2". Findlay had a report of 4" at 8:30 and 5" a couple hours later. Lima had over 7" at 8AM too. May pick up another inch here with the LES/Synoptic leftovers but it definitely over-performed here. 

Either I dont know how to measure properly or my area has been jackpotted but Im up to 11.5 inches with a new band sitting over me. Yesterday morning started off with 2.5 inches on my board that had melted off the board by the time round two started. Whether or not its accurate or not its still the most snow I've seen and shoveled since Jan. 09. And for it to happen in March! Crazy. 

Either I dont know how to measure properly or my area has been jackpotted but Im up to 11.5 inches with a new band sitting over me. Yesterday morning started off with 2.5 inches on my board that had melted off the board by the time round two started. Whether or not its accurate or not its still the most snow I've seen and shoveled since Jan. 09. And for it to happen in March! Crazy. 

Buried. This is pretty awesome, eh? :D

Buried. This is pretty awesome, eh? :D

I hope we get 2 of these in a row next year in the middle of January with record cold wedged in between haha. It is awesome after the dissapointment of last year this winter hasnt been normal by any means but it has delivered. I just went out and double checked and measured 7 other pints all over 11.25 a few over 12 inches. Still snowing by the way!

I hope we get 2 of these in a row next year in the middle of January with record cold wedged in between haha. It is awesome after the dissapointment of last year this winter hasnt been normal by any means but it has delivered. I just went out and double checked and measured 7 other pints all over 11.25 a few over 12 inches. Still snowing by the way!

Still snowing here too. Doesn't want to quit, but looks like we'll be done soon here in the LAF.

We have 7.7" here in Huntington. Still getting -SN, may be able to pick up a couple of more tenths. Very nice.

Well done my friend. 

17.0" officially at Springfield IL (SPI) yesterday. That's the greatest 24 hour amount in their recorded history (since 1884).

17.0" on March 24, 2013

15.0" on February 28, 1900

13.3" on January 1-2, 1999

12.6" on January 30-31, 1914

11.3" on January 31-February 1, 2008

SNOWFALL (IN)YESTERDAY       17.0 R         MONTH TO DATE   18.1                       SINCE MAR 1     18.1                       SINCE JUL 1     31.6

Apparently the total at SPI is now 18.5".  A foot and a half of snow in late March, damn. 

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/?n=24mar2013

I think I have to give the GGEM the award, for LAF specifically. It didn't seem to waver much, while the others ran around like drunken sailors.

So true. What did your parents end up with? I assume "well" over a foot...

My pops measured 13.2". Said blowing and drifting made it pretty difficult. Also said he thinks this is the biggest snowstorm since 99.

Central Ohio maybe... up further north? Not at all. Having that sfc low track up to CMH and now a bit northeast of there helped us considerably.

I have approximately 3.5-4" here and its still coming down at a light pace. Based on radar that's not gonna stop anytime soon. A lot of local forecasts here were going with 1-2". Findlay had a report of 4" at 8:30 and 5" a couple hours later. Lima had over 7" at 8AM too. May pick up another inch here with the LES/Synoptic leftovers but it definitely over-performed here.

Wow good for you. Yea I was going by what the cmh guys were saying. Wonder what TOLwill report?

Archived