• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late March snow blitz! Part II March 24-25th

cyclone77

With the rates this evening and what the final totals should be, this is probably my most enjoyable storm since VD. It may not catch 12/15/07 in terms of amounts but that one didn't have the sustained rippage like this one.

Agreed. It just poured snow. And being March 24 makes it extra special.

I totally buy that. The hills are nasty in bigger events.

52/Sagamore going up the hill into West LAF has to be dicey.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on how the final numbers at the WL coop play out, we have a shot to be a top 5 all time snowiest March. 

Snowiest March 

Year  Value

1906  21.2
1947  13.5
1924  12.9
1952  12.3
1931  11.6
1960  11.4
1899  10.7
1934  10.2
2002  10.0

1912  8.8

Depending on how the final numbers at the WL coop play out, we have a shot to be a top 5 all time snowiest March.

Snowiest March

Year Value

1906 21.2

1947 13.5

1924 12.9

1952 12.3

1931 11.6

1960 11.4

1899 10.7

1934 10.2

2002 10.0

1912 8.8

I'm not sure how much fell at the COOP with the early month storm but 1906 is the only time on record that there has been two 6"+ storms in March, so it gives some idea of what we've done this month.

Meanwhile in Valpo, snow continues as well.  Grass blades covered, sidewalks white (but you can still see the cracks), campus streets snow-covered and even Sturdy Road and the Lincolnway look slushy from up here on the 3rd floor.  Probably closing in on 2" in some spots on the grass.  I'll measure around 1 am before bed.

Even at only a few inches, it feels like an over-performer with such heavy rates.  For about 2 hours now it's looked more like heavy steam than like snowflakes falling.

A few shots from earlier in the afternoon.  We only had about seven inches on the ground at this time. 

My poor bush was upright yesterday.  I think the snow took it out. 

bush by EXORIMADreamer, on Flickr

Post on my front porch.  It usually does not snow on this post.

post by EXORIMADreamer, on Flickr

Awesome  :thumbsup:

Ended up picking up another 2.2" since late afternoon.  That combined with the 0.9" in total that had melted off earlier today brings the storm total to 3.1".  Still some light snow falling out there.  The snow had a hard time sticking all day long, so to end up with about 2" of fresh snow cover tonight is a pretty big win to me.  :D

A few ground level shots from the ol' backyard a bit ago...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/0324131.jpg/'>0324131.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/0324132.jpg/'>0324132.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/0324133.jpg/'>0324133.jpg

Ended up picking up another 2.2" since late afternoon.  That combined with the 0.9" in total that had melted off earlier today brings the storm total to 3.1".  Still some light snow falling out there.  The snow had a hard time sticking all day long, so to end up with about 2" of fresh snow cover tonight is a pretty big win to me.  :D

A few ground level shots from the ol' backyard a bit ago...

Pretty good really, after thinking earlier you may not see much at all. Snow in your pics looks like coarse sugar.

Pretty good really, after thinking earlier you may not see much at all. Snow in your pics looks like coarse sugar.

Yeah it was utterly depressing watching the snow melt as it fell most of the day.  Really thought we were pretty much shut out after the initial snow melted off.  Glad to see you guys finally get the thumping you deserved.  Kind of late in the winter, but better late than never eh?  :sled:

local Met mentioned another 1-2" possibly :)

Thanks  ;)  Has the storm done pretty well in Lafayette so far?

Yes, we've done very well. Not as good as you all in central IL...but good enough.

Yeah it was utterly depressing watching the snow melt as it fell most of the day.  Really thought we were pretty much shut out after the initial snow melted off.  Glad to see you guys finally get the thumping you deserved.  Kind of late in the winter, but better late than never eh?  :sled:

Always better late than never. :beer:

Just went out and measured 7.6" new snowfall here, best guess measurement (average of several, very drifted over out there). Brings the storm total to 8.6" in my hood.

Snapped a few photos while I was out.

Snow plastered to the buildings here.

Drifting snow. Shaky hand photo, sorry it's cold.

Kinda like this one. Rear end of my car. Drifting around it is cool too.  

Just went out and measured 7.6" new snowfall here, best guess measurement (average of several, very drifted over out there). Brings the storm total to 8.6" in my hood.

Snapped a few photos while I was out.

Snow plastered to the buildings here.

attachicon.gifMarch 24 #10.JPG

Drifting snow. Shaky hand photo, sorry it's cold.

attachicon.gifMarch 24 #12.JPG

Kinda like this one. Rear end of my car. Drifting around it is cool too.  

attachicon.gifMarch 24 #11.JPG

Nice pics! 

Dual exhaust eh?  Noice.

Archived