joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late March snow blitz! Part II March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't really understand how this happened, but per webcams Detroit has at least 1-1.5" on the ground and is the local "jackpot" in SE MI, having more snow than the rest of Wayne or Monroe county.

Had 0.4" here as of 8am, kinda powdery. jealous of the scenic snow pics!

Not a flake here.

So, I'm reading differing amounts from spotters. Did LAF set the official new record for a March snowstorm?

Well, there really isn't an official record to be broken for LAF. If we use the long term WL COOP, this will be by far will be the largest "latest" snowstorm on record for this town. 

I need to go measure, but my storm total may pushing a foot right now. And it's still snowing.

Holy crap. :D

Well, there really isn't an official record to be broken for LAF. If we use the long term WL COOP, this will be by far will be the largest "latest" snowstorm on record for this town. 

I need to go measure, but my storm total may pushing a foot right now. And it's still snowing.

Can say I'm very surprised. After the models blipped and shunted us, I thought for sure we were done.

Posted by Alek on 21 March 2013 - 06:30 AM in Lakes/Ohio Valley

Alek, on 20 Mar 2013 - 12:18, said:snapback.png

Wagons south each run now.  Liking my early couple inches of slop for the OH valley call.  Enjoy guys!

WestMichigan, on 20 Mar 2013 - 12:21, said:snapback.png

Careful you don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.  The event hasn't even happened yet.

I nailed it

I don't know how to cut and paste from a closed thread properly so excuse the terrible formatting on this one.

Glad that call worked out so well for you Alex.  I am not knocking your call.  What I didn't like was all of the chest beating and declaring victory 3 - 5 days out.  It looks like the Ohio Valley did reasonably well.  While not a blockbuster event Ohio seemed to do OK.  Indiana was better.  The STL and LAF crew aren't complaining about getting a sloppy couple of inches.  If you want to come back after the storm and say hey look at how well I did from 5 days out that is fine but to say I nailed it several days in advance of the storm seems a little premature.  A little humility and more weather discussion would go a long way in this forum.  It isn't a contest to see who guessed it first or who was the most accurate.  That is part of the fun, but the constant need to toot your own horn isn't needed.  Let's talk weather and not personal greatness or lack thereof.

About .3-.5" on the ground here...

Congrats to all who got the snow they wished for.  I for one was glad to see this miss us.  Just wasn't feeling it this time around. Nice way to end the season for those who missed out previously. 

Now, I am looking forward to the gradual warm up this week. 

Can say I'm very surprised. After the models blipped and shunted us, I thought for sure we were done.

Yeah, the models had a heck of a time. A couple of them essentially whiffed us 36 hours out. :lol:

Just went out and came up with a best average measurement of 10.0". As said before, tough measuring with the drifts...there's some spots that are pretty deep in my yard. So, I've got 11.0" storm total at KTIM. Absolutely amazing. I'm not worthy. :D

:thumbsup:

Stupid NAM. Even the EURO bailed on LAF incorrectly

:thumbsup:

Stupid NAM. Even the EURO bailed on LAF incorrectly

I think I have to give the GGEM the award, for LAF specifically. It didn't seem to waver much, while the others ran around like drunken sailors.

Better late than never! And I though the 10" I got in late Feb was a "late season snowfall"

So true. What did your parents end up with? I assume "well" over a foot...

So while school is closed today, it's all hands on deck to clear parking lots and unthawing buses.  The good news is the IT guy gets to sit at his cozy desk.  :)

IT does have some nice perks, doesn't it?  Here between Westfield and Zionsville I seem to have 7.5-8 inches.

Question for the STL area folks (anyone near the airport). I see some very impressive totals N & W of STL. But I had a question about the official total at STL. They officially had a storm total of 12.6"...with a 7am depth of 8" this morning. Heavy wet snow with temps below freezing all night. Compaction is expected but to that extreme makes one of those numbers sound fishy (either the 12.6 or the depth of 8). Wondering if they measured only every 6 hrs? Just to be clear Im not taking anything away from the storm, just questioning the official total itself.

17.0" officially at Springfield IL (SPI) yesterday. That's the greatest 24 hour amount in their recorded history (since 1884).

17.0" on March 24, 2013

15.0" on February 28, 1900

13.3" on January 1-2, 1999

12.6" on January 30-31, 1914

11.3" on January 31-February 1, 2008

SNOWFALL (IN)YESTERDAY       17.0 R         MONTH TO DATE   18.1                       SINCE MAR 1     18.1                       SINCE JUL 1     31.6

Archived