e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The March 25-March 32 HECS potential

Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i did not even get a flurry from that event. The only thing i saw flying in the air was Bob Chill's barf after he got screwed. So i guarantee this event will be better for me at least.

Yeah, you guys saw very little precip on Monday.  I think this time you'll do much better in that department, probably better than I will.  Hopefully that will make a difference (for the good).

Will the new machine make any difference?.

glad y'all have the funding as my understanding from your past posts and others is the lag behind the euro was a money/red tape issue more than anything

Oh?  Big as in Euro type big?

The issue is multifaceted, and computing is one aspect of it.  The new machine will not make a difference immediately, as we first need to get our current operations ported to the new infrastructure.  Once live, the new machine will have more capacity, so we can do more computing. 

Another issue is just the general research-to-operations process in this country.  There was a guest blog post about it in CWG after the 3/6 event (I think) that was spot on.

Lastly, there is the general issue that the scope in terms of what we do relative to other centers is so broad.  In my humble opinion (this is my opinion only), we need a bit of refocus, reorganization, and streamlining of what we do/produce.

By the time we get our "big implementation" in, the ECWMF will have done their thing too.  However, if all goes as planned, this will be the biggest jump in spatial resolution we have ever taken, by far.

The issue is multifaceted, and computing is one aspect of it.  The new machine will not make a difference immediately, as we first need to get our current operations ported to the new infrastructure.  Once live, the new machine will have more capacity, so we can do more computing. 

Another issue is just the general research-to-operations process in this country.  There was a guest blog post about it in CWG after the 3/6 event (I think) that was spot on.

Lastly, there is the general issue that the scope in terms of what we do relative to other centers is so broad.  In my humble opinion (this is my opinion only), we need a bit of refocus, reorganization, and streamlining of what we do/produce.

By the time we get our "big implementation" in, the ECWMF will have done their thing too.  However, if all goes as planned, this will be the biggest jump in spatial resolution we have ever taken, by far.

Thanks for the info Daryl.

GFS still drops .5+ through the whole area. Unfortunately, verbatim it won't include accum snow for most of us. Long duration strung out mess isn't going to do it. 

yeah...without looking at soundings looks like rain/snow mix for us...maybe a pre-dawn period of 33-35 cartopping snow with a 1" report where there is a good band

it gives you not an insignificant amount of snow...just rate/temp issues...i also wonder about a warm nose above 800mb.....

no reason you can't get a nice grass/deck blanket, take a few pics of the dog and call it a storm

As modeled, I agree, but with the variability and trends for the past 18 hours or so, I won't be surprised if the end result is even worse.  I'm waiting to see what the Euro shows as it has been at least steady with its forecasts.

The variability of the GFS and NAM within 48-72 hours of these events lately has been a sight to see.

GFS was good with March 6th as far as consistency.  Certainly has been less so on this storm.  My sarcasm is mostly directed at DT and the Euro huggers who suggest the Euro chisels a solution into stone on Day 9 and never wavers.  Euro has been varying with this storm, just over a smaller parameter space than the GFS.  

yeah..maybe a period pre-dawn of light snow and 34-35

yeah...without looking at soundings looks like rain/snow mix for us...maybe a pre-dawn period of 33-35 cartopping snow with a 1" report where there is a good band

Just sort of interpolating based on the 3-hr NCEP maps, I think our best timing for this run occurs between 9-12z Monday morning when we get some decent precip (0.2-0.3"ish) and our temps are at a minimum.  But even then they're above freezing at the surface all the way out to Winterwxluvr-land.  Still, with decent rates, that could give a slushy 1" on the grass and certainly snow in the air for people awake to see it.  

As modeled, I agree, but with the variability and trends for the past 18 hours or so, I won't be surprised if the end result is even worse.  I'm waiting to see what the Euro shows as it has been at least steady with its forecasts.

I think we know what the euro will show....above 32 surface most of the time...strung out light precip...and ~0.35" QPF for DC metro which will probably need to be adjusted down a bit...this is looking a lot like a 0.16" mix storm for MBY....

I think we know what the euro will show....above 32 surface most of the time...strung out light precip...and ~0.35" QPF for DC metro which will probably need to be adjusted down a bit...this is looking a lot like a 0.16" mix storm for MBY....

I think I agree on all points.  It has shown no real increase in precip for the past two days, as far as I can tell.  It also has the warmest temps.  Not exactly the winning combo we are looking for.

GFS was good with March 6th as far as consistency.  Certainly has been less so on this storm.  My sarcasm is mostly directed at DT and the Euro huggers who suggest the Euro chisels a solution into stone on Day 9 and never wavers.  Euro has been varying with this storm, just over a smaller parameter space than the GFS.  

Just sort of interpolating based on the 3-hr NCEP maps, I think our best timing for this run occurs between 9-12z Monday morning when we get some decent precip (0.2-0.3"ish) and our temps are at a minimum.  But even then they're above freezing at the surface all the way out to Winterwxluvr-land.  Still, with decent rates, that could give a slushy 1" on the grass and certainly snow in the air for people awake to see it.  

in some respects...it also gave us 1.9" QPF in the last important pre-storm run which greatly influenced the bad collective forecasting...It would have been a lot easier to ignore the NAM if the GFS was more like the euro...still would have been some busting but not nearly as bad...

Wonder how many alerts and woofs he'll be throwing out come Sat. night?

Archived