• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 25-March 32 HECS potential

Ji

Might as well. Nothing to lose and its our final hurrah. One good thing about chasing models into Late March is it feels like a longer winter and when the pattern breaks, it could be mid April with only 2 months till we start losing daylite time again.

Initial thoughts...

Historic event coming up.  1942 type storm

DCA 8

IAD 12

JYO 16

Linden 62

http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2013/03/photos-vintage-d-c-snowstorms/logan-circle-snow-in-march-1942-30067-2049.html

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...   NATIONAL ARBORETUM     8.0   900 AM   3/26   COOP   WASHINGTON             7.0   925 AM   3/26  LOGAN CIRCLE AREA   DALECARLIA RESERVIOR   6.0   800 AM   3/26  COOP

DCA                                           0.8         915AM       3/26     Slant stick measurer

Fixed

Might as well. Nothing to lose and its our final hurrah. One good thing about chasing models into Late March is it feels like a longer winter and when the pattern breaks, it could be mid April with only 2 months till we start losing daylite time again.

Initial thoughts...

DCA 8

IAD 12

JYO 16

Linden 62

http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2013/03/photos-vintage-d-c-snowstorms/logan-circle-snow-in-march-1942-30067-2049.html

I like the way you think.  I count down the days to the summer soltice every year, and then to July 27 when the avg highs start to drop.

I like the way you think.  I count down the days to the summer soltice every year, and then to July 27 when the avg highs start to drop.

once july is done....its downhill from there. August is a great month as temps start to cool...it gets darker and NFL training camp..zwyts first winter call.The June 20-July 31 period is a disastrous 6 weeks of hell

Initial thoughts...

DCA 8

IAD 12

JYO 16

Linden 62

Initial thoughts...

DCA 8

IAD 12

JYO 16

Linden 62

Where you are located and at your elevation you can probably get 32-34, 1-3" grassy type events till early april..(not saying you will)....you have like 43 of those type of events this winter...where I am I cant....the only way is a palm sunday type event which falls in like 6 hours with 1/8 mi viz...then I can get 2-4" on all surfaces but street that melts later in the day...but those are still very rare..like once every 20-25 years...today was a good example of climo...most of the close in burbs got T-1"....models dont really matter much for light events here

Where you are located and at your elevation you can probably get 32-34, 1-3" grassy type events till early april..(not saying you will)....you have like 43 of those type of events this winter...where I am I cant....the only way is a palm sunday type event which falls in like 6 hours with 1/8 mi viz...then I can get 2-4" on all surfaces but street that melts later in the day...but those are still very rare..like once every 20-25 years...today was a good example of climo...most of the close in burbs got T-1"....models dont really matter much for light events here

yea..it cant be a light event. The Palm Sunday storm has to be an all out blinding snowstorm. But if it happened once...it can happen again. somehow, our area was allowed to get over a foot in 1942 on march 29-30. Nov 11....etc.

yea..it cant be a light event. The Palm Sunday storm has to be an all out blinding snowstorm. But if it happened once...it can happen again. somehow, our area was allowed to get over a foot in 1942 on march 29-30. Nov 11....etc.

problem is palm sunday climo from then is probably more like snowquester climo now.

crazy stuff can happen but everyone was excited that today would be colder than early mar and it ended up fairly similar (perhaps a touch colder but not much really). climo is a b.

problem is palm sunday climo from then is probably more like snowquester climo now.

crazy stuff can happen but everyone was excited that today would be colder than early mar and it ended up fairly similar (perhaps a touch colder but not much really). climo is a b.

Today wasn't a temp issue. It was a precip issue. Saw a picture of a friend near gainsville that had an inch of snow on the street

Today wasn't a temp issue. It was a precip issue. Saw a picture of a friend near gainsville that had an inch of snow on the street

yeah tho the timing was really good to maximize potential.. if we had more precip it would have gone to white rain most spots when the sun came up.

yeah...there is really no way around the need for a QPF bomb with near whiteout snow...which pretty much never happens this time of year for us...when I get a chance I might look at JYO to see how many 2"+ events they have after March 20...I am guessing every 5 years or so, but that is a guess

yeah...there is really no way around the need for a QPF bomb with near whiteout snow...which pretty much never happens this time of year for us...when I get a chance I might look at JYO to see how many 2"+ events they have after March 20...I am guessing every 5 years or so, but that is a guess

DCA has one 2"+ event Mar 25 or later (3/30/64). 3/24/90 is the biggest recently in that general timeframe. I guess we're due.

19 on record post Mar 20, but 16 happened pre DCA.

DCA has one 2"+ event Mar 25 or later (3/30/64). 3/24/90 is the biggest recently in that general timeframe. I guess we're due.

19 on record post Mar 20, but 16 happened pre DCA.

yeah...we're screwed...I looked at western loudoun/northern Moco....not sure how much data is missing (maybe 1-2 events I am guessing)...but seems like 2"+ are every 4-5 years since 1980...most of these are western loudoun if they were available...didnt include the several 3/15-3/19

4/9/82 - 2"

3/29/84 - 4"

3/23-24/90 - 7"

4/7/90 - 2"

3/23/94 - 3"

3/26/94 - 4"

3/31/97 - 2"

4/9/00 - 2"

3/31/03 - 2"

Archived