Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha my point forecast has finally changed... Glen burnie:

This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog. High near 38. Windy, with a north wind 24 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 33. Breezy, with a north wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Haha my point forecast has finally changed... Glen burnie:

This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog. High near 38. Windy, with a north wind 24 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch flake possible.

Tonight Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 33. Breezy, with a north wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow rain accumulation of less than a half inch raindrop possible.

Fixed, I am a new met at the NWS ;) .

I can tell many of you weren't living here (or were too young) during March 2001.

I was. Sort of think this is almost as bad. In this day and age, storms are hyped (named), blogged about, gossiped about, all over Internet for days, more than they were back then. So when it doesn't happen, think average people will remember more.

Only a few of us today were on WWBB for March 2001 but I saw your WSW's and March 2001 was 10x as bad. Models were spitting out 2-3 feet of snow with a stalled low sub 970 off the Jersey Shore. I still have my flashlight that I got for the storm that ended up being an inch of sleet. Comparing this bust to March 2001 is like comparing the Nats AA team to their MLB team.

Perfect end to the winter for DC at least IMO. Couldn't have scripted it much better. Bob Chill might make it a movie.

Bob chill made an appointment with a brain surgeon to remove my memory of the last 2 winters and remove the snow weenie CPU too.

I heard severe is where it's at

March 2001 was 10x as bad I think.

I was in Brooklyn then. Two to three feet forecasted up through the start of the actual event. 2.5 inches IMBY. 

But the fact that the winter had been a decent one up to then made it a lot less painful. Had that bust happened after a two year drought like this, it would have been far, far worse.

From what I remember of 2001 bust, you sort of could tell the day before it wasn't going to happen, if you were paying attention, which was harder back then with limited Internet. I recall forecasts of 2 feet of snow on Friday pm news, but those amounts were cut back on the Saturday before the storm was set to begin (fizzle) that night. Could be wrong, but don't recall totally being blindsided like today.

How could people forget March 2001? Missed the connection, low didn't bomb until it hit New England. We were forecast to get 12-18 inches and some got 2 inches. I also remember it snowing and because the rates sucked and it was during the day, it all melted on contact.

Lost of METS took heat over that. Kocin did (back in his weather channel glory days)

This storm is similar but not as bad.

Archived