• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

Well I believe the WWA is for 2-4... but it would also make them look sissy posting a WSW for 6-10 and the cities get less than 4.  They are in a very tricky spot with this one

How about a WSW for 3-6 or 4-8?

That way neither 3" nor 10" would be way off.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it still seems kinda goofy.. but in theory the globals should still have a better picture of the overall storm i'd think but maybe im wrong.

at this point, I'd prefer resolution...so i'd go with a euro (global high resolution) / nam (regional hi-res, especially in the vertical...better to have more model layers in the BL)...someone else can address the differences in vertical resolution between the euro and gfs but i'd expect the euro has better resolution in the first 3000 meters

yeah it still seems kinda goofy.. but in theory the globals should still have a better picture of the overall storm i'd think but maybe im wrong.

Right, the gfs and euro are spectral models which means that atmospheric variables are represented as a function of the waves, thus giving a better synoptic representation. as you probably already know, the NAM is a gridpoint model, so it is supposedly better for local differences. Don't know if it truly verifies that way though

at this point, I'd prefer resolution...so i'd go with a euro (global high resolution) / nam (regional hi-res, especially in the vertical...better to have more model layers in the BL)...someone else can address the differences in vertical resolution between the euro and gfs but i'd expect the euro has better resolution in the first 3000 meters

GFS has 64 vertical layers while euro has 137

I think his concerns are very much valid.

They are this time. First of all the Euro has yet to love the area north of I-70. Second of all there has been a clearly visible trend the last 3 runs of the GFS and the somewhat with the Nam last run despite holding things together better. Last point is we are now seeing this trend inside of 24 hours oppossed to 09/10 when the trends went the other way inside of 24 hours. We probably will still do well and I will be happy with 6-8 here and the models could bump up again, but the chances for 12 plus are diminishing. I am by no means complaining however.

I was waiting for psuhoffman to worry about being fringed.

Its a legitimate concern this time. It has nothing to do with the low track, the path of the low across southeast VA is actually perfect for northern MD and SOuthern PA, the problem is how the storm transitions.  Most of the guidance is now indicating the storm goes through a redevelopment period right as the best lift would be getting into our area.  THus we get the initial WAA precip surge, but then the precip just dies and contracts as the storm becomes disorganized.  It then re-fires up but well to our east.  THe NAM/SREF hold the system together better as it goes through this transition and thus we do well...but I could definitely see the GFS/Euro be right about this.  In that case those of us north of Baltimore would get a quick 3-6" burst of snow late tonight and early tomorrow but then as the ccb falls apart and contracts towards VA we would get mostly light scattered precip after that with no accumulation.  I think that possible outcome is definitely possible. 

Hey guys does anyone have access to show what the Euro QPF output was like last night run for central and southern va? Was it still respectable? It was the model still giving me some decent accumulations for overnight tonight.

Don't have the liquid but here is the 0z Euro snow map

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/559847_522890301087894_1033290858_n.png

Yeah, just like in 09-10 when we ended up with hours and hours of heavy snow obs from northern MD as a band parked there like it always does.

we will get some banding with the initial surge late tonight and early tomorrow...but then it depends what happens with the weird low redevelopment process.  I could see the NAM/SREF being correct and this is amped enough to just plow east and the deform continues up into our area.  I could also see the case for how this thing loses its lift and forcing for a time and that causes the precip shielf to contract, and we end up left with only light insigifnicant precip after that initial band.  Its the differnence between 3-6" and 8-12" for our area. 

Archived