• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 4-6 Winter Storm

snowlover2

Possibly for you they verified quite nicely, but here they were way too cold. Alek would most certainly agree with that assessment.

Bank clock verification doesn't count. Euro had surface temps around 33 for MDW, I looked it up in the storm threads...and reality was 33-34 on the 26th. 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDW/2013/2/26/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really. Euro had them around 32-34. 850's were around -5 deg C with the last event.

Euro has sfc temps of 28/29 here.

This might be something that separates this event from the last one for Chicago proper. 2m temps may be a bit colder this time and allow for better accumulation potential as long as rates don't slack off tremendously.

Temperatures from Milwaukee north had temperatures around 29° for the last event, and they had drifting. No drifting down here at 31°, so this looks like a more significant event in terms of hampering travel and road conditions.

Euro gives the LAF crew 9" or so.

I hope the Euro is right. It would be a good way to end this otherwise gawdawful year. LAF is looking a lot better than FWA right now.

Not to rain on the parade, but a even a 9" snow depth won't last 3 days with the warmth forecast by the end of the week. It will be fun watching it fall though.

This might be something that separates this event from the last one for Chicago proper. 2m temps may be a bit colder this time and allow for better accumulation potential as long as rates don't slack off tremendously.

we maxed at 3" during the last event and already had half that by nightfall.  Currently sitting at less than an inch with grass showing.  The Euro was far too aggressive with snows/temps here during the last event.  

This looks decent for Cyclone and points west, south, east....naso much for the city.

we maxed at 3" during the last event and already had half that by nightfall.  Currently sitting at less than an inch with grass showing.  The Euro was far too aggressive with snows/temps here during the last event.  

Downtown/UHI was the lone exception...Otherwise it did well across the area.

we maxed at 3" during the last event and already had half that by nightfall. Currently sitting at less than an inch with grass showing. The Euro was far too aggressive with snows/temps here during the last event.

This looks decent for Cyclone and points west, south, east....naso much for the city.

The thermals were always very borderline for that storm and starting as rain didn't help in your area. I guess I'm a little confused...first you're saying rain and now you're implying a miss to the south...which is it?

I read 4" fell at midway with the entire event but there was never 4" on the ground at once. I saw grass blades through the entire event.

The thermals were always very borderline for that storm and starting as rain didn't help in your area. I guess I'm a little confused...first you're saying rain and now you're implying a miss to the south...which is it?

rain comment was about the last storm, sorry. 

This is a miss south.

I read 4" fell at midway with the entire event but there was never 4" on the ground at once. I saw grass blades through the entire event.

That sounds right...not sure how that works out. I'm under the impression you aren't supposed to measure like that but it seems like most did.  I mentioned it was odd that ORD was 2" over Harwood Heights which are right next to each other.

Proper measuring is checking (and clearing) the board at 7 AM, 1 PM, 7 PM, and 1 AM. That's the probable reason for the 4" Midway snowfall.

However, anything that falls and melts in between is not counted. Most people check as soon as the snow lets up and reports it, thus higher amounts than the 'official' measurement. That really makes ORD/Harwood Heights measurements seem strange.

we maxed at 3" during the last event and already had half that by nightfall. Currently sitting at less than an inch with grass showing. The Euro was far too aggressive with snows/temps here during the last event.

I see nothing that would point to this conclusion.

Proper measuring is checking (and clearing) the board at 7 AM, 1 PM, 7 PM, and 1 AM. That's the probable reason for the 4" Midway snowfall.

However, anything that falls and melts in between is not counted. Most people check as soon as the snow lets up and reports it, thus higher amounts than the 'official' measurement. That really makes ORD/Harwood Heights measurements seem strange.

Yeah that's what I thought.  Thanks.

back on track....storms looks fine for a turd coverer. Good luck to the cedar rapids screw hole crew

I wasn't even a year old then lol

I was older than that but don't actually remember it. The ice storm was really bad...some of the rural areas were without power up to 3-4 weeks.

My mother lived n Frankfort and was one of the ones without power for nearly three full weeks.

The Wyandotte magnet can not be denied. Expect North shifts. :lol:

Those north shifts screwed Wyandotte with that last storm. Downriver was screwed the most, but we were certainly due for a screwing. Actually we had more snowFALL than some areas (thanks to the Wed night band) but had less snowCOVER by the time the freezeup came (even noticably less than DTW) because those damn dewpoints on the river that would NOT come down. Anyway...this time, i welcome northward shifts with open arms :)

My family lived in Kokomo at the time, and I remember having to stay at my grandparents' place in Greentown for a week.

We live near Westfield and were without power for a few days but knew people who were out much longer.  I almost kissed the electric crews when they came through.  Another lasting effect of that storm was that so many trees were stripped of their limbs--it almost looked as if a tornado had gone through much of north central Indiana.  And then to see the big transmission towers crumpled in the fields!!!.

Those north shifts screwed Wyandotte with that last storm. Downriver was screwed the most, but we were certainly due for a screwing. Actually we had more snowFALL than some areas (thanks to the Wed night band) but had less snowCOVER by the time the freezeup came (even noticably less than DTW) because those damn dewpoints on the river that would NOT come down. Anyway...this time, i welcome northward shifts with open arms :)

Tis the season...

Archived