• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential Winter Storm March 6-7

NEG NAO

Without any support from the Euro I will not get sucked in.

there isnt any support from any other model...the gefs cant resolve the block. as i (and others) mentioned before, this is like the ensembles right before the 2/6/20 storm. and im not talking about the mean having 1.25-1.50" of QPF for our area, instead, each and every individual member had the same exact look. They were very correct from C NJ south, they just had an incorrectly robust northern edge.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is odd that almost every single member hits us pretty hard. But the Euro ensembles were only a graze.

Each time the ensembles have been north, the next op run went north. Still can't go against the euro, but I think we see a bump north in 20 min. Just enough to get dca back in the paste dump

Each time the ensembles have been north, the next op run went north. Still can't go against the euro, but I think we see a bump north in 20 min. Just enough to get dca back in the paste dump

We needed the phase with the GL low that the Euro had earlier this week in order to draw the low far enough north for heavier precip here.

The Euro has been really consistent since it lost this idea.

Coudl it be the new data that's entered the grid? However, didn't the GGEM/UKIE have the same (and, well NAM, but long range...)

have to be open minded here - wouldn't take much for a northern jog - and several systems this year have overachieved -although not all in this region - key is intensity of the low and taking the normal snowstorm track for NYC with such a borderline air mass need the low to draw the cold enough air in similar to what happened back in november..........

We needed the phase with the GL low that the Euro had earlier this week in order to draw the low far enough north for heavier precip here.

The Euro has been really consistent since it lost this idea.

Look how much further east the block was, too. That's also a huge difference maker.

The GEFS might be phasing more, but none of the OPs have made trends towards showing more northern stream energy, so the GEFS are probably out to lunch.

That being said, the GGEM, UKIE, and long range NAM are usually pretty bad models to use operationally.

Look how much further east the block was, too. That's also a huge difference maker.

The GEFS might be phasing more, but none of the OPs have made trends towards showing more northern stream energy, so the GEFS are probably out to lunch.

That being said, the GGEM, UKIE, and long range NAM are usually pretty bad models to use operationally.

Yeah, the stronger block further west took that solution off the table.

I don't get it, just by looking  at H5 through 60 hours, you can see it was heading more north.. but the outcome is still the same

block and confluence still in the way on this run - still a miss for a snowstorm on the 12Z Euro OP - next up the Euro ensembles in a few hours

The GFS ensembles not withstanding, my best guess is that the storm will be the kind that brings heavy wet snow across central/western Virginia, western Maryland, and south-central Pennsylvania. It remains plausible that Washington, DC (DCA) and Baltimore could pick up 4" or more snow. Sterling, VA (IAD) should. Philly might have a shot at a couple inches, but that's a closer call. NYC and New England will likely miss out and could conceivably experience rain or snow showers if they see precipitation. That's not yet cast in stone, but it's getting closer.

I don't get it, just by looking  at H5 through 60 hours, you can see it was heading more north.. but the outcome is still the same

Doesn't matter how awesome the storm is aloft or at the surface-when it hits the block and confluence that's it. 2/6/10 was a very QPF-heavy storm and I remember watching wave after wave of it being eaten up by the dry confluence. I think there's still some chance of this coming north to affect us but odds strongly favor the Mid-Atlantic. Being fringed wouldn't help either since we have a poor airmass-it would be rain or a non-accumulating mix. We have to be in the main batch of precip pretty solidly to be sure it's snow.

So far it looks like in the medium range, the GFS took the Euro to school in regards to the handling of the northern stream upper level low and blocking.

To be fair, there were runs where the GFS also had a ridiculous northern stream wave that was phasing with the storm. The euro had that [wrong] idea first and for longer, but it also dropped the northern stream idea before the GFS did.

We got the trifecta of the rap models.....gets, serfs, and jma on our side!

Lol....from what I can tell, these models want to get a piece of northern stream energy involved which would help the low turn the corner instead of heading straight east of the VA coast like the Euro is showing. The Euro has that northern stream piece act like a kicker, pushing it out to sea, The Mid-Atlantic forum has an interesting discussion about this in their thread. Worth reading. 

So...72-96 hours out. We've seen how much forecasts can change in this timeframe from years past. The general idea of a strong storm off the Mid-Atlantic coast is pretty much a lock -- but how far north does it come? 

Just trying to keep hope alive, don't think it's likely to happen but something to think about in the back of your mind, 

Archived