12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential Winter Storm March 6-7

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard for me to believe DC is getting a 12-18" storm in March. So after 0z, if it still shows that, I'll give up.

DC definitely is not getting 12-18"...that will be confined to the elevation favored north & west suburbs. DC itself is going to lose a ton of QPF to rain/slop like what in NYC during the February snowstorm. I think the max in DC will be 6", and that's assuming they are  in a near perfect location of the heaviest dynamics/precip like the 12z NAM/GFS were showing. Still a major storm though for this time of the year! 

DC definitely is not getting 12-18"...that will be confined to the elevation favored north & west suburbs. DC itself is going to lose a ton of QPF to rain/slop like what in NYC during the February snowstorm. I think the max in DC will be 6", and that's assuming they are  in a near perfect location of the heaviest dynamics/precip like the 12z NAM/GFS were showing. Still a major storm though for this time of the year! 

Prob right on.

agreed this 12Z Euro run coming up is VERY important since there is new data in it and its in its most accurate range

+100.. if Euro is still a miss. Well, game over for me. We need this to come north now. And I don't think it is.. sorry. Same ole' situation

Just need the friggin H to lift out just a tad..

The GEFS does not have the resolution to see the sharp cutoffs in precip that this storm will have. I'm not buying it at all.

Actually I'm not sure if that has to do with precip cutoffs, from what I heard, some of the 6z GEFS members actually phased in a piece of the ULL low which would help turn the low into a classic benchmark track, I'm assuming this is the same case with some of the 12z GEFS members. Not buying it since no operational models show that kind of scenario taking place. 

agreed this 12Z Euro run coming up is VERY important since there is new data in it and its in its most accurate range

We were out of the game for a big precip event here when the Euro lost the phase with the GL

low which drew the precip shield and low further north several days back.

This winter has really made things change around here, people giving up 3 days before a storm :).. I'll give up after 0z

I don't want to give up and want over a foot more then anyone but if it don't start changing the next run with new data, I don't see it changing at 0z or 12z tomorrow either. However.. we all know what can happen 24 hr from the show!

Actually I'm not sure if that has to do with precip cutoffs, from what I heard, some of the 6z GEFS members actually phased in a piece of the ULL low which would help turn the low into a classic benchmark track, I'm assuming this is the same case with some of the 12z GEFS members. Not buying it since no operational models show that kind of scenario taking place. 

yeah...this looks like what's happening. Some members are bringing significant precip all the way to Portland,  Maine

f96.gif

I don't want to give up and want over a foot more then anyone but if it don't start changing the next run with new data, I don't see it changing at 0z or 12z tomorrow either. However.. we all know what can happen 24 hr from the show!

Exactly. tell me about it. Last storm I was suppose to get 20+ inches. lol

I think that's more then just a sharp cutoff issue. A lot of those are amp up.

yeah, that's what i'm saying. Not really much to do with smoothed out precip cut-offs, some of the ensemble members want to phase in a piece of northern branch energy which helps the low turn the corner

yeah...this looks like what's happening. Some members are bringing significant precip all the way to Portland, Maine

Yeah, you guys are right. Interesting to see but I just can't buy it at this point. I hope I'll have to eat my words.

I remember it vividly. A foot might be sort of an exaggeration but we were always within the 0.75-1 range AT LEAST. So just like that time, I'm not buying it. I don't believe the cut off will be as dramatic but the end result will be the same, at least for most people north of CNJ

it was MORE than .75-1"...it was between 1.25 and 1.50

Yeah, you guys are right. Interesting to see but I just can't buy it at this point. I hope I'll have to eat my words.

I'm with you.  Some of those look tasty, but I can't recall a time that the Euro was THAT far off about 72 hours from an event.  Maybe I'm wrong and the new data/players will change things, but I'm honestly more than skeptical --- especially consdering it has zero support from any of the other models. 

Archived