Newest Member
    amirah5
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan Huffman:

The GFS has been furthest south for the most part with meaningful snow falling over Georgia/SC and southern NC, while the ECMWF has been further north with meaningful snow over east TN/KY/VA/N Ga/Carolinas. This is a very intriguing setup with a lot of potential. The main hold back will be boundary layer warmth as it is early march, but a strong enough system will overcome this. The Euro ensemble supports the operational Euro’s solution and many of the 18z GFS ensemble members are similar too or even better looking than the 18z operational GFS. There are some similarities to the great 2/10/73 winter storm over the South, although this one will not be as cold or as far reaching. The only major global model not on board right now is the GGEM.

The scenario is this, a s/w is going to move into the Pacific NW and drop into the central/southern Plains this weekend and the lower Mississippi River Valley early next week. This system looks to cut off from the mean flow and drop well to the south into the Deep South and Southeast. However, this system will be positively tilted for a while becoming neutrally tilted over the Southeast and possibly negatively tilted in time

The laughs provided here today have totally cleansed my stressed mind. Weather should always be this much fun. I will make a point to avoid the site next wednesday during the height of the 38 and heavy rain. I saw more grauple today than i will see in snow next week. Long way from model consensus! Long way to wednesday.

You say graupel today?  Where at?

As a side note, I don't like how the page just shrunk to non-wide screen.

Is that a blowfish coming out of the upstate; thoughts?

I really see this area as suffering from BL issues due to the leaves still on the ground. When skies heal the temps seem to take longer to get colder in general. Verbatim I would not be surprised if the snow shadow affected these areas. 

Interesting! We definitely had some pretty ominous looking clouds at times here, but nothing fell.

Yep...it was a short lived event. Almost like a summer storm when you see the precip coming at you and the sun is shining a mile or so away. Except this was of the frozen variety and no thunder. Hmmmm....thunder graupel. That would send a tingle up Cantori's leg!

Archived