Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 23-24 OBS Thread

free_man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westminster def had more than my house after driving through it. Roads were a mess. I would not be surprised at 12" over there. I checked just using my ski pole in a few places. Easily 8-9", but compaction, etc.    Great night up there

Do your spotter report to NWS!!!

I'm going to hit Wachusett in the AM. Conditions should be superb. I don't report for NWS. 

Westminster def had more than my house after driving through it. Roads were a mess. I would not be surprised at 12" over there. I checked just using my ski pole in a few places. Easily 8-9", but compaction, etc.    Great night up there

Do your spotter report to NWS!!!

Westminster was a perfect spot in ORH county for this one...they are prob the best upslope spot in the county...sharp rise from the east. They also lucked out a bit with that really intense band this morning which gave them a quick 5"

Over 8" here now. We really racked up another quick inch in this last burst that has since lightened up.

The elevation is what saved areas in the crappy rates of the this morning. Manufactured a colder boundary layer by moving up in the column.

Yeah the elevation difference was definitely mostly from earlier today....everyone has stuck well since about 4pm. Earlier today there was no snow on the trees (except the really large branches) below about 650-700 feet, but it was a total winter wonderland above that elevation. The story was a bit different just northeast of here in towns like Boylston though which got extreme rates around lunchtime.

Westminster was a perfect spot in ORH county for this one...they are prob the best upslope spot in the county...sharp rise from the east. They also lucked out a bit with that really intense band this morning which gave them a quick 5"

Over 8" here now. We really racked up another quick inch in this last burst that has since lightened up.

MLK FTW.

I was shocked when I measured 5.5" at 8am. Added another 5" throughout the day and It's still coming down. Over achiever for sure. 

Elevation was huge around here too...just back from driving and down 400 feet lower it was probably 3" less than at 900 feet.

definitely as I mentioned my buddy lives on a dirt road on the backside of Wachusett he easily had a foot and I'm about 4mi and a few hundred feet below him and I'm sitting at 10.5".Elevation playing a big role on accumulations. 

I was shocked when I measured 5.5" at 8am. Added another 5" throughout the day and It's still coming down. Over achiever for sure. 

I'm glad I stuck with 5-9/6-10 for ORH hills even in the face of a few red flags...but this one felt good for the N ORH hills. Had a lot of positives despite some negatives...but the negatives were much more likely to affect the lower areas. These events make the bad busts feel a bit better.

Lol...GYX crew having the last laugh. Nice job with this storm.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I will also admit we were mostly right for the wrong reason. I know I played up the coastal low impacts a little too much in the original watch phase. The lucky part was that the inverted trough came in strong and provided a way to reach the originally forecast snow totals.

I will say I was impressed with the early day snowfall up this way thanks to the mid levels strengthening. There was consistent guidance pointing towards the H7 features crossing near the Canal and providing a little dynamical support for deformation snow near our coastline. That panned out pretty well.

I'm glad I stuck with 5-9/6-10 for ORH hills even in the face of a few red flags...but this one felt good for the N ORH hills. Had a lot of positives despite some negatives...but the negatives were much more likely to affect the lower areas. These events make the bad busts feel a bit better.

I'm hoping these positives are going to continue for us later on this week and we could be in for a surprise. 

I appreciate the sentiment, but I will also admit we were mostly right for the wrong reason. I know I played up the coastal low impacts a little too much in the original watch phase. The lucky part was that the inverted trough came in strong and provided a way to reach the originally forecast snow totals.

I will say I was impressed with the early day snowfall up this way thanks to the mid levels strengthening. There was consistent guidance pointing towards the H7 features crossing near the Canal and providing a little dynamical support for deformation snow near our coastline. That panned out pretty well.

That was quite noticable this am when i looked at it on SPC's Mesoscale analysis, It added to the enhancement of qpf

That was quite noticable this am when i looked at it on SPC's Mesoscale analysis, It added to the enhancement of qpf

I can only really speak for myself, but I think that's why it worked out so well today. Basing my forecast off the Euro features aloft gave a stable base to work off of. The mid levels always pointed to QPF farther NW than a surface low track this far east would normally suggest. So when things trended less amped, we still had the upper support.

I can only really speak for myself, but I think that's why it worked out so well today. Basing my forecast off the Euro features aloft gave a stable base to work off of. The mid levels always pointed to QPF farther NW than a surface low track this far east would normally suggest. So when things trended less amped, we still had the upper support.

H5 always looked decent...getting good energy tracking to the south like that usually produces decently. It could have been a lot better (esp for the CP of SNE) if it had captured the intial sfc storm and close mid-level low...but there was still something to work with even without that...esp for CNE/NNE, but luckily down as far south as here too.

Euro did set the bar for you guys, Glad it worked out, Some of last nights post were uncalled for, These troughs scenarios are a forecast nightmare as you know to well, But can't go on what has happened on the past, This one had decent model support a couple days out

Archived