northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 23-24 OBS Thread

free_man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

educate its' def on the move it's sliding right by me now, maybe it regenerates like the 0z hrrrr sim radar shows but i don't know if it will be at the rates i just had last 20 mins

snowing as well in andover, funny thing, radar showing very little over me right now and it is coming down large aggregates. must be some good low level convergence with that cf. i am at 30 and that dropped about 2 degrees in the last couple of hours.

snowing as well in andover, funny thing, radar showing very little over me right now and it is coming down large aggregates. must be some good low level convergence with that cf. i am at 30 and that dropped about 2 degrees in the last couple of hours.

I would hit Rap in a second, damn even if I squeeze out 1-2 that would sugar coat the pack.

If one were only watching radar you would think nothing is coming into NE tomorrow.

And that's exactly true...this is looking like a non-event as per the 0z GFS and current observations. 

0z GFS has two frames of .1" QPF for much of New England, but that's light, non-accumulating junk with the higher sun angle and miserable boundary layer outside of the higher elevations.

Current obs aren't very encouraging. BOS is at 36/34 with rain; even Portland, Maine is at 36/33 with rain. ORH has remained below freezing at 31/31 but has switched to freezing rain from earlier light snow. Temperatures are just too marginal, and the coastal is going to get going much too late for good dynamics to reach the coast in time.

My earlier ideas of a non-event seem right on target. Don't see the 6-10" for ORH verifying, nor the 2-4" for BOS. 

And that's exactly true...this is looking like a non-event as per the 0z GFS and current observations. 

0z GFS has two frames of .1" QPF for much of New England, but that's light, non-accumulating junk with the higher sun angle and miserable boundary layer outside of the higher elevations.

Current obs aren't very encouraging. BOS is at 36/34 with rain; even Portland, Maine is at 36/33 with rain. ORH has remained below freezing at 31/31 but has switched to freezing rain from earlier light snow. Temperatures are just too marginal, and the coastal is going to get going much too late for good dynamics to reach the coast in time.

My earlier ideas of a non-event seem right on target. Don't see the 6-10" for ORH verifying, nor the 2-4" for BOS. 

It's a little deceptive at PWM. It's raining there with an east wind. But you go a couple miles inland and we're all snow at the WFO, just over an inch so far on the day.

It's a little deceptive at PWM. It's raining there with an east wind. But you go a couple miles inland and we're all snow at the WFO, just over an inch so far on the day.

I'm sure it's similar at BOS...Logan is plain rain at 36F but some places inland 10-15 miles probably are mixing with sleet or getting close to freezing. 

I just don't like radar, obs, or modeling for a big snowfall. The echoes on radar are moving ENE (instead of building NNE), the surface temperatures are pretty mild with rain/sleet being observed well into VT/ME/NH, and the 0z GFS doesn't have much QPF left once the cooler air comes filtering in. It's just a disjointed system so I think it's going to be difficult to verify larger amounts of snow. 

thanks nate ya i got euro weenie snow maps .....shows a spot 1-2 inches in orh hills around 1k and then it shows 10-4pm tommorrow general 3-6 inch snowfall within 50 miles sw nw and ne of pwm,maine

look at temsp at psm,nh torchhhhhhh

also temps rose a good 3 degrees last few hours in essex county mass as cf i guess shift'd back west a few miles, puke airmass\

and nate that 0c 850 line looks like it sunk S a bit this hour ...it JUst updates ....sometimes i get confused but the first blue line is the 0c line

thinkin of hittin up crotched mtn. tommorrow , they should be doing alright (about 10 miles to your west or so) tonite was there last nite of mid nite madness and piss'd i miss'd it. ski 5pm to 3am for 41 bucks

Ah, yeah should be good conditions there.

Total paste job here, thermo is reading 32.4. No sleet mixed in for past 20 min or so.

Totally fizzled here. Dusting on the ground at 6am, after 3 - 5 inches was forecast through late morning. Radar showing nothing really at all to come, it's all East, and looks liquid there rather than frozen, for the most part? Haven't caught up on the latest obs yet.

Total paste job here, thermo is reading 32.4. No sleet mixed in for past 20 min or so.

Congrats.  Looks like we've had a continuation of the snizzle that dominated yesterday.  I'm guessing .5" with perhaps some snizzle continuting.

Temp hasn't budget more than a couple tenths of a degree since about noon yesterday.  Enjoy your snow.

30.5/30

Archived