joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Severe Thread

downeastnc

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Counting your chickens before the eggs hatch. We don't know how the situation will evolve this far out but I won't rule out eastern NC or SC seeing a Moderate risk. You first say how do I get severe wx out of this but in the very next post say slight risk? Most severe wx around here comes with Slight Risk.

Interestingly today was more active than both of the moderate risk days. You were off with location as NC and SC weren't the only areas.

Lame blanket warnings all over NC, in some places well out in front of what can at best be described as an average squall line, and I am being generous. Counties to my north are warned 50 miles out in front of the line thats the kinda stuff that causes complacency in warnings.

It feels like just about every thunderstorm with gusty winds gets warned these days. I know it's probably not the case, as all it takes is a localized pocket of severe winds for a warning to verify, I guess. But I have been under numerous warnings over the past 2-3 years and have yet to see any damage around my area at all, save for a few Bradford Pear branches down.

It feels like just about every thunderstorm with gusty winds gets warned these days. I know it's probably not the case, as all it takes is a localized pocket of severe winds for a warning to verify, I guess. But I have been under numerous warnings over the past 2-3 years and have yet to see any damage around my area at all, save for a few Bradford Pear branches down.

Well we live in an area that sees a substantial number of severe thunderstorms throughout the year.  I would imagine most things easily damaged by a 60mph wind gust are long gone.

Well we live in an area that sees a substantial number of severe thunderstorms throughout the year. I would imagine most things easily damaged by a 60mph wind gust are long gone.

Out of the square miles warned yesterday, I wonder how many square miles actually saw gusts over 58 mph? There may have been a lot. I haven't looked at the wind reports yet. The apex of the bow in the line went right over my house and I was expecting some decent wind with that. We got maybe a 35 mph gust. I wonder how windy it was in other locations?

A little disappointed in the severe event Friday. Got some good straight line winds with the squal line but there just was not enough energy ahead of the line to produce. The energy that did get ahead of the line and didn't shear out made it to the boarder of VA/NC and that was the tornado. Really wish more storms got ahead of this line, with the hodographs from yesterday valid around 5pm it could have been something. CAPE stayed around 1000+ for the majority of the event for central NC.

I drove up to the area of the line with the strongest wind and man it was strong. A station near me read 70+ mph as the line moved through, I estimated at least 50+, these winds were not messing around.

BIP7n3qCEAEIPov.jpg

Lol cool video but those didn't look like hurricane force winds. If those were hurricane force winds I think there would be more than just one tree down. Those winds look about the same to what we saw here with that wake low thing a week ago. The video was amazing at the beginning then got lame because they act like they have never seen wind before and sound dumb.

That tornado-warned cell entering Chatam appears to be on a b-line for me here in west Downtown Durham. Also, here's the scene from a couple of hours ago outside my school(Cedar Ridge) just south of Hillsborough: HOXJ9PD.jpg

my stepson goes to cedar ridge. He's a junior and on the varsity lacrosse team.

Tornado Warning

TORNADO WARNINGTNC023-069-280345-/O.NEW.KMEG.TO.W.0017.130428T0320Z-130428T0345Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEMPHIS TN1020 PM CDT SAT APR 27 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEMPHIS HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  WEST CENTRAL CHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE...  NORTHEASTERN HARDEMAN COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE...* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT* AT 1020 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM PRODUCING A TORNADO 6 MILES WEST OF CHICKASAW  STATE FOREST...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO  HENDERSON...CHICKASAW STATE PARK AND CHICKASAW STATE FOREST.

Tornado Warning

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT...CORRECTEDNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEMPHIS TN1001 PM CDT SAT APR 27 2013TNC069-113-280330-/O.COR.KMEG.TO.W.0016.000000T0000Z-130428T0330Z/HARDEMAN TN-MADISON TN-1001 PM CDT SAT APR 27 2013...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1030 PM CDT FORSOUTHWESTERN MADISON AND NORTHWESTERN HARDEMAN COUNTIES...AT 1001 PM CDT...WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATEA SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION.  THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATEDNEAR CLOVERPORT...OR 10 MILES NORTH OF BOLIVAR...MOVING EAST AT 35MPH.LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO TOONE...HATCHIE...UPTONVILLE...CEDAR CHAPEL...VILDO AND TEAGUE.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice line of storms came through around 6:45 PM here.  I was in the midst of a severe-warned cell.  Heavy downpours produced over half an inch of rain in about 20 minutes.  I've now reached 0.70 inch with the steady, but calm, rains that followed the original cell.  Nice!

Well at least someone got some action, I am still waiting to hear some real thunder and this "line" is going to be 3-5 hrs later than progged so I doubt it happens tonight as well. 

There has been a real lack of sever weather around here this spring. The tornadoes in Texas were a rare exception. I don't remember a spring with so few thunderstorms around my neck of the woods. I'll take the dry weather, but if we are going to get rain I'd rather have some storms with it to make it at least a little bit exciting to follow.

There has been a real lack of sever weather around here this spring. The tornadoes in Texas were a rare exception. I don't remember a spring with so few thunderstorms around my neck of the woods. I'll take the dry weather, but if we are going to get rain I'd rather have some storms with it to make it at least a little bit exciting to follow.

Huh?  :huh:

Huh? :huh:

He is saying that there hasn't been that much severe weather across the nation so far this spring. I don't know what he means by rare. Probably that without the tornadoes that just happened in Texas, its been a very quiet year. Sure there has been a lack of severe weather, but not a lack of rain even though this past week featured no rain. The cutoff at the beginning of the month gave us our months worth of rain.

I agree...with all but "I'll take the dry". I'll take the rain as long as we can get it. Although it looks like once again, the lion's share of it will fall north and west of our area.

Archived