• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

The Boxing day storm was caught by the Euro 1st a week out and then it lost it , like i said remember they all lost it 2 - 4 days out , then the GFS re caught it 1 st before ncep said ignore it .

I love the Euro , its a beat IF 5 straight days of driving a slp SE off the coast , while the GFS was steadfast , then 2 days out bringing .25 up . Its a 500 mile treck north in 24 hours is a beat .

If this was the GFS we ( I ) would be telling the world about its SE bias and that it sucks , so Im just trying to be fair here .

I live and die with the Euro , regardless of how much QPF i think its a beat

GFS actually sniffed out Boxing Day an astounding 9 days in advance:

post-532-0-09386700-1360611201_thumb.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*** 12Z EURO COMES A TAD NORTH ...for the feb 13-14 event.. . still does not have alot of snow/ precip with it for NYC LI CT long island

DT on facebook is such a joke. He refuses to believe that any north trend is taking place. He really takes it hard when his initial predictions don't pan out.

His actual posts seem ot indicate otherwise

*** 12Z EURO COMES A TAD NORTH ...for the feb 13-14 event.. . still does not have alot of snow/ precip with it for NYC LI CT long island

no its because he isnt forecasting 6 inches plus so he gets bashed..unbelievable how people are around here if someone does not give a forecast that they want to hear

no its because he isnt forecasting 6 inches plus so he gets bashed..unbelievable how people are around here if someone does not give a forecast that they want to hear

i still think he is sometimes biased to the mid atlantic and always lives and dies by the EURO.... like everyone has been saying the EURO is not perfect

Not when you read the discussions to his posts and that one in particular. He is clearly not wanting to see precip come above the mason dixie line. Notice how he said a "TAD north" and then had to mention the last part that there is still not a lot of precip for NYC etc. 

If you look at H500, it made major shifts toward more amplified guidance. It certainly wasn't just a tick.

It wouldn't surprise me if this kept trending in future runs-I don't see much to the north of it that stops it from amplifying. A lot of times, these systems keep trending north unless the kicker catches up to it, or confluence to the north increases significantly. We're almost 48 hours out, so hopefully tonight we can start locking in whatever happens. Preliminarily I'd say 5-10" if we have a more amplified GGEM/NAM type storm-which I think is quite possible here. We might lose some initial QPF from warm initial conditions but it goes to a heavy wet paste quickly.

If it keeps trending further north and the other guidance holds serve, then it will be a big miss on the 

Euro's part.

It's still a north trend towards the other models.

It's yet to be determined exactly how much precip we can wring out of this fast moving system here.

The Boxing day storm was caught by the Euro 1st a week out and then it lost it , like i said remember they all lost it 2 - 4 days out , then the GFS re caught it 1 st before ncep said ignore it .

I love the Euro , its a beat IF 5 straight days of driving a slp SE off the coast , while the GFS was steadfast , then 2 days out bringing .25 up . Its a 500 mile treck north in 24 hours is a beat .

If this was the GFS we ( I ) would be telling the world about its SE bias and that it sucks , so Im just trying to be fair here .

I live and die with the Euro , regardless of how much QPF i think its a beat

In a really amplified set up like last week, either the OP Euro or ensembles usually get the storm idea  right.

But I have seen the Euro miss on smaller to moderate events here. It's just that people don't tend to remember

light to moderate rain events when the GFS was wet and the Euro was dry.

Dude, I am in Israel haha. It doesn't matter to me whether he gives a forecast that favors snow in NYC or not. I am mainly here for good weather discussion, and when it comes to DT, his discussions about weather can be awful sometimes. The guy has issues with being wrong and it's not professional for a met. 

I've coined a term for this...'combative weenie-ism'

I've coined a term for this...'combative weenie-ism'

LOLOL, classic.

On to the 18Z NAM, the northern stream energy seems a bit delayed and the southern ever so slightly more quick....better spacing between the two should/could leads to a more amped result..

the trough is more neutral tilted and the vort could just be faster...but heights out ahead are the same or slightly higher. in the end though at 33 the differences are small at least at 500mb

I think it's actually timing differences. I don't really see any major changes that stick out.

DT on facebook is such a joke. He refuses to believe that any north trend is taking place. He really takes it hard when his initial predictions don't pan out.

I still like his week in weather video from last weekend (Feb 3rd) that showed the big rains for the east coast, which as we all know was a nice blizzard 5 days later!

Archived