Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go back a week - where was the NAM 66 hours out on the BLIZZARD ? Wait for the consensus before throwing amounts out . We all love that solution . However its not the suite you need to worry about - its the range you have to look at . IMO its best to be cautious , thats all.

Some of the runs in there were 50-100 miles too far west with what happened from central LI into CT.

Past 48 hrs the SREF's are telling you that the Nam will come south in the next few days. Maybe the

coating to 2inch tries to push up into our area if the Euro comes a little more north.

attachicon.giff69.gif

Right and that was the day before not 60 hours out

Some of the runs in there were 50-100 miles too far west with what happened from central LI into CT.

Past 48 hrs the SREF's are telling you that the Nam will come south in the next few days. Maybe the

coating to 2inch tries to push up into our area if the Euro comes a little more north.

More than half of the SREF members do show hits for us in the end. Some of them pretty far north.

attachicon.giff69.gif

So you're using the long range SREF's to justify your argument, not the brightest move.

The NAM may b right in the end . And if it snow the GFS caught this first and would smoked the Euro .

All I am saying is i wana see consensus

RGEM . SREF ( inside 48 hrs ) and either the GFS or Euro .So im sure we get a clearer pic by 130

I think the NAM is going to cave. Since its domain is restricted to the North America, disturbances outside the domain that become part of the domain later in the run are probably not handled very well if I had to guess. Take for instance hr 66 on the 12z NAM. If you look up near the Aleutians, you'll see a very potent shortwave that has just entered the picture and is likely leading to a more amplified trough-ridge system in the CONUS. The GFS on the other hand has a much weaker vort which is leading to a less amplified trough downstream. Maybe the NAM has the better handle on that feature but I doubt it.

attachicon.giff69.gif

Strongly disagree. The Euro has been following the leader with this storm, which has been the GFS. Given the synoptic features in place -- 50/50 low, large mid level ridge on the west coast, PV positioned NW of Hudson's Bay, the pattern favors higher heights off the east coast and more amplification of the sern stream wave IMO. The SREFS are unreliable beyond the short range and really shouldn't be utilized as a clue to what the NAM may do in the future.

Additionally, this storm should be a moderate to possibly significant snow for someone on the east coast IMO, and that potential does extend into the PHL/NYC metro areas.

There was one snowstorm/blizzard years ago, that the NAM showed big snowstorm for us from 84hrs out. And never folded to the other models. I don't remember which storm that was though.

That was 2010 I believe. It insisted on a very sharp NW cutoff that none of the other models were really showing. I went to bed with a WSW for 4-8" and woke up at 3 AM to a purely virga storm as the cut off was about I-80. I got nothing, not even a single flake.

Strongly disagree. The Euro has been following the leader with this storm, which has been the GFS. Given the synoptic features in place -- 50/50 low, large mid level ridge on the west coast, PV positioned NW of Hudson's Bay, the pattern favors higher heights off the east coast and more amplification of the sern stream wave IMO. The SREFS are unreliable beyond the short range and really shouldn't be utilized as a clue to what the NAM may do in the future.

Additionally, this storm should be a moderate to possibly significant snow for someone on the east coast IMO, and that potential does extend into the PHL/NYC metro areas.

I agree. The Euro is allowed to be wrong once in a while. The synoptic pattern definitely favors some amplification. Of course, it's possible that we only get grazed, but the 00z Euro ensembles making a huge jump north from the 12z Euro ensembles shows me that the Euro is still catching up regarding holding back too much energy in the southwest.

And besides a potential kicker, there is really nothing that can suppress this storm. It's all up to the southern stream to amplify, and considering the likelihood for some Gulf convection, I say there's a decent chance this comes north. 

It looks as if there's a decent chance this storm will have some Gulf convection. That should help this storm come in a bit further north.

Also, I don't really see any major features at 500mb that scream suppression, other than that potential kicker. 

Agree, there's no strong PV (or any PV for that latter) in southern Canada which would suppress heights. The upstream ridge near the West Coast will also allow the sern vort to pump heights a bit more in the SE US.

It looks as if there's a decent chance this storm will have some Gulf convection. That should help this storm come in a bit further north.

Also, I don't really see any major features at 500mb that scream suppression, other than that potential kicker. 

I agree-I still think there's a half decent chance it can make it up here. If it wasn't for the kicker, I'd say it's very likely. So long as the S/W sharpens as it approaches and doesn't shear out.

Archived