Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it still shows this by Wednesday Morning, along with the GFS and ECMWF, then this will surely happen.

But right now neither the GFS or the ECMWF have anything besides flurries here, GFS has been trying, but the EURO not moving. I think it comes north, but not for warning snow level.

-skisheep

You can see the NAM suffering from the same feedback problems which had it dumping

the heaviest precip too far west with the blizzard last week. We can remember some of

runs that had the heaviest precip back toward  nyc instead of LI and CT.

Yeah, I figured that would be a problem for this event. There's a chance for Low-End Warning level for NYC, but high-end Warning level is unlikely ATM.

The NAM is a little north for my liking , until I see the GFS and Euro come too it , It`s in it`s 66 hour range and even though it shows a solution I would love - I am not on board The model scares me at this range . The GFS and Euro are where I live at this range .

You can see the NAM suffering from the same feedback problems which had it dumping

the heaviest precip too far west with the blizzard last week. We can remember some of

runs that had the heaviest precip back toward  nyc instead of LI and CT.

The NAM runs that showed the heaviest precip over NJ only missed by about 20-30 miles. That's not bad at all. I got 15" in Pompton Plains. May not be the 30-40" that some places got but it came down very hard and heavy from about 9pm-2am.

The NAM is a little north for my liking , until I see the GFS and Euro come too it , It`s in it`s 66 hour range and even though it shows a solution I would love - I am not on board The model scares me at this range . The GFS and Euro are where I live at this range .

Lets remember this was the same model that was out to lunch in this range for Friday's storm. It's encouraging it does have some support from a few other models but at this point without the Euro on board I'm just not buying it. And yes I know it trended north but I want it fully on board. When was the last time the Euro wasn't showing a hit for something within 72 hours and we actually got something?

The NAM runs that showed the heaviest precip over NJ only missed by about 20-30 miles. That's not bad at all. I got 15" in Pompton Plains. May not be the 30-40" that some places got but it came down very hard and heavy from about 9pm-2am.

Ya I was gonna say this missed by about 50 miles. If the true solution is 50 miles se of the 12z nam we still all get at least advisory level snows and most get low end warning

I didn't buy the 6z GFS because it's the 6z. If you take the 0z GFS, 12z NAM, and all the other models that now trended, the NAM might be catching on to something.

the 6z gfs is just as accurate as any other run.   the fact is you are relying on short range models out of range,while the euro and gfs are a scraping blow at best.

I think one of the more important factors is going to be the strength of the s/w...6z GFS had a very similar vortmax track vs the 0z GFS but the s/w was weaker on the 6z GFS which in turn made the low come further southeast with less precip. Given the tendency for southern stream shortwaves to be a bit stronger than modeled, I'd keep an eye on this even if the the rest of the 12z suite does not look like the NAM 

Archived