• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late February Pattern Discussion...stormy or end of winter?

ORH_wxman

The torch next week has vanishrd

No, it is there, its just pretty muted and brief. Its maybe like a 12 hour spike into the 40s...perhaps maybe cracking 50F if we get a strong enough warm sector punch.

Very wintry pattern returns after that though on the Euro.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp...Feb 4/5 S/W came an went not much fan fair with it but some precip dropped over NE...RWT energy was busted up into several pieces of energy so it is what it is LOL. The 7/8 RWT came across GLKS and did it's job teaming up with the southern wave and the rest is history!!!...5-10 degree warm up appears on track for Feb 11 with next RWT for 14/15 and then 16/17 and another 18/19. The 16/17 based on Mtn. Torque events appears it should dump a decent pocket of cold air across the northern tier for a brief period of time.

Extending forecast....S/W arriving Feb. 21-22 with what appears to be a good shot of cold air behind it. Another S/W for Feb. 26-27 and then heading into March...cooler air arriving somewhere between March 5-9...I would venture a guess at a SW for March 4/5 with a decent warm temp spike ahead of it for March 2 or 3 with cooler air filtering in behind it for the 5-9 time frame.

The RWT that was over India last week is still expected to arrive Feb 4 or 5 it appears as a clipper. Behind this RWT we will see a shot of cold Feb 5-7. Then Feb 7 or 8 another RWT which was over Africa last week should arrive and colder air moving in behind it for Feb 7-11. This one started off at a pretty high latitude so I believe it will be a weak clipper. It appears after that we will see at LEAST at 5-10 degree warm up for Feb. 11-13 ahead of the next system that will pass through the east Feb 14 or 15 with a quick shot of cooler air behind it before another S/W arrives Feb 18 or 19th (tentative)The pattern is really chaotic as HM, others and myself have noted so it's harder to bit on the signals 4 weeks out right now so I am waiting for newer GWO data to reconfirm or disprove my thoughts about S/W's beyond Feb 14, part of the reason why I left the Feb 18/19 S/W tentative because the arrival date may change +/-1 day. But tentative dates I have for other S/W's and shots of cooler air are feb 21-25 and Feb 27-March 3.

And a blast from the past...for our storm

So we have the xt RTW that was in the pacific back on wednesday on schedule to arrive late 24 early 25th east of the MS. Models struggling with whether it merges with a S/W from the south. That's brings the cooler air for Jan 26-29 and then of course the S/W for the 30th on the GFS that supplies the reinforcement of colder air for my Jan 31-Feb 2 time frame (this one looks like a decent shot...as I stated a couple weeks ago) and then a 5-10 degree warm up for Feb 3-4 (pre-frontal warmth) ahead of the next RWT (over India) expected to arrive Feb 4/5. (BTW I was able to narrow down the warm spike with the latest GWO numbers and RWT timing.)  Behind this RWT we will see a shot of cold Feb 5-7 (decent shot of cold here to).

Then Feb 7-8 will be another 5-10 degree pre-frontal warm up ahead of another RWT (currently over Africa) and cooler air moving in behind it for Feb 9-11. 

So here are the dates I have for cold and warm periods...I just color codes them. LOL. Aqua-cooler Blue-colder Orange-warmer +5-10F Red-Torch +10-15F

Jan 26-29 Jan 31-Feb 2 Feb 3-4 Feb 5-7 Feb 7-8 Feb 9-11

The next storm seems like OTS, but it's not a given. The one after is something to watch..potentially another shot before the pattern goes to crap.

Yeah I didn't quite understand how the Fri night/Sat system was going to evolve.  Seems like a weird depiction.  only day6/7 now so you'd think there would be some indication via teleconnections.  I just think a coastal reforming with a storm ending up in n nh...given the deep snow pack and baraclinic zone....seeems highly unlikely..

BTW did you take Bryce out during the blizzard, hold him up to the sky and say "Behold the only thing greater than yourself?"

I'm not going to try and get too excited, but one cannot ignore the signals going forward. -NAO and one system after another. Even the torch euro ensembles trended better today.

Euro ensembles were too warm for the next 7 day period anyway last week. Don't liek the AK vortex forming in the D10-15 period, but the split flow is still hinted at.

I do like that high anomaly near Hudson Bay this time of year with split flow. That's a good look for February.

Euro ensembles were too warm for the next 7 day period anyway last week. Don't liek the AK vortex forming in the D10-15 period, but the split flow is still hinted at.

I do like that high anomaly near Hudson Bay this time of year with split flow. That's a good look for February.

Yeah I agree with the vortex, but with the split flow, the SE ridge is knocked down anyways. Could be one of those patterns that aren't cold...but maybe just enough cold to get more snow. Obviously a pretty good cold shot coming this weekend.

Yeah I agree with the vortex, but with the split flow, the SE ridge is knocked down anyways. Could be one of those patterns that aren't cold...but maybe just enough cold to get more snow. Obviously a pretty good cold shot coming this weekend.

Does it look like a good pattern here? Oh and BTW congrats on your big blizzard. One day I want to experience a storm of the magnitude.

Archived