• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late February Pattern Discussion...stormy or end of winter?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least HPC mentions the Euro norester...but it is staying with the progressive pattern and a weaker storm. Unless there is a clear piece of scientific rationale that the flow temporarily slows, I would have to think this is weak, fast unphased and out to see.

GFS got a little closer, but yeah you have to wonder about the euro.

Yeah let's hope. I mean maybe we have that stupid cutter, but looks improved after.

Yeah well the pattern for the cutter isn't very good. This thread is mostly focusing on after that period when we have the conflicting info on whether winter ends or we see a reload of the PAC pattern we saw at the end ofthe January. This time though, as you have mentioned, we get a split flow further south on the WC and start getting that southern stream active. That would certainly increase storm chances.

Sure, we may risk rain, but I'll take that risk over cold and dry. Everyone wants us to forecast whether we are going to get 2 feet of snow in February or nothing...and that is simply unrealistic to do right now. Well I guess we can forecast that...but it won't be with any degree of skill or accuracy.

Yeah well the pattern for the cutter isn't very good. This thread is mostly focusing on after that period when we have the conflicting info on whether winter ends or we see a reload of the PAC pattern we saw at the end ofthe January. This time though, as you have mentioned, we get a split flow further south on the WC and start getting that southern stream active. That would certainly increase storm chances.

Sure, we may risk rain, but I'll take that risk over cold and dry. Everyone wants us to forecast whether we are going to get 2 feet of snow in February or nothing...and that is simply unrealistic to do right now. Well I guess we can forecast that...but it won't be with any degree of skill or accuracy.

Yeah and that's all we are saying. We can't forecast whether or not it's an epic stretch, but you need storms to get snow lol.

I know people have complained about always hearing about better chances, but that's how long range goes. Sometimes the pattern produces, sometimes they do not. As you have stated several times, there were reasons why the analogs had great years written down.

I'm dying here, I'll take anything at this point....even a coastal that flips to rain.

Yeah and that's all we are saying. We can't forecast whether or not it's an epic stretch, but you need storms to get snow lol.

I know people have complained about always hearing about better chances, but that's how long range goes. Sometimes the pattern produces, sometimes they do not. As you have stated several times, there were reasons why the analogs had great years written down.

I'm dying here, I'll take anything at this point....even a coastal that flips to rain.

Yep, ad there were reasons that not EVERY analog pattern produced....see the Jan '69 exampl we talked about when forecasting the pattern for Jan 2011. Some produce, and some don't. The longwave pattern had its potential, but smaller scale features and embedded shortwaves can decide the final outcome and those features are not forecastable from the long range....something a lot of posters seem unable to grasp.

But I digress. The EC ensembles caving toward the GEFS as we get closer is a positive sign. I expect the GEFS to gave way some as well, but a compromise will certainly give us chances. The D11 CPC analogs are starting to show a mixed bag of very good patterns and ones that didn't produce.

For the storm! Friday? I think we have to see 12z to make sure it wasn't an egg like the euro has laid in that time frame more than once this winter.

That is my fear....we will know shortly.  What does the uncle have?  At least the GEFS has something, so we can start thinking about at least a region wide light event.

The Euro goes bonkers for NNE...especially ME, but it's flooding the BL along the lower elevations with warmth. Looks a bit strange for that low placement/intensity although there is some low level warmth that advects in ahead of the nrn stream s/w before the system goes to town.

Verbatim 5 days out means very little. GEFS sort of went toward the Euro in that type of setup, but I'm not even really thinking about that threat much considering how complex it is in the upper levels...Euro is relying on some subtle southern stream energy to really enhance the storm.

The Euro goes bonkers for NNE...especially ME, but it's flooding the BL along the lower elevations with warmth. Looks a bit strange for that low placement/intensity although there is some low level warmth that advects in ahead of the nrn stream s/w before the system goes to town.

Well maybe that means crashing heights during the storm.  I'm just glad that last night's run wasn't a total fluke.  GFS moved towards a storm.  Not sure what UKIE did...and even more importantly the KMA.

It's a bomb.

It is eventually...just later development. The nrn stream isn't as amplified across the midwest/OH Valley so it takes a little longer for it to rapidly deepen.

The only real positive to me is that the Euro at least has 2 straight runs of a decent coastal and some of the GEFS members trended that way. GFS, Ukie, and GGEM are much weaker so I think I'd lean that route for now.

It is eventually...just later development. The nrn stream isn't as amplified across the midwest/OH Valley so it takes a little longer for it to rapidly deepen.

The only real positive to me is that the Euro at least has 2 straight runs of a decent coastal and some of the GEFS members trended that way. GFS, Ukie, and GGEM are much weaker so I think I'd lean that route for now.

Even in my weenie-ness I would have to agree with that sentiment, unless and until we get another gjobal on board for a deep coastal.  Probably same old same old with progressive flow fooking it all up

Archived