• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late February Pattern Discussion...stormy or end of winter?

ORH_wxman

The winter, as I posted in the other thread, is shaping up a bit like 2006-07 if we believe modeling. Very mild start, then a sharp turn to colder in mid to late January with a cold/snowy February. That was an historically cold February though, whereas this one looks to be a bit closer to normal. 06-07 was remembered as a decent winter in Northern New England with the Valentine's Day/St. Patty's Day/Tax Day systems, as the period from early February to mid April was ridiculously cold and snowy. Will this winter also be remembered as the tale of two very different seasons?

That year had some very good NAO blocking from late Feb into early Mar...we'll need to see that again probably to get a prolific end to winter. Also, the STJ was raging for a time. Not sure we ever get that this winter either, but its certainly possible we finish very strong this year. The southern stream should at least be more active than this winter to date.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So euro ensembles more or less caved to GEFS in the long range? Remember when everyone cancelled winter last week?

Well they caved to a point, but have a strong -PNA signal...and I don't have to tell you how we may ride the line. However, the Plains should get cold and the Euro will be wrong there for sure.

Yeah def still some differences in the two camps...GEFS are just downright frigid across the CONUS while the Euro ensembles pump up the SE ridge. We are east of the best cold in both camps, but the Euro ensembles would be living life on the edge here with that gradient.

Yeah def still some differences in the two camps...GEFS are just downright frigid across the CONUS while the Euro ensembles pump up the SE ridge. We are east of the best cold in both camps, but the Euro ensembles would be living life on the edge here with that gradient.

man the life boats on the CP.  

Sounds like what we had in mid Jan with a meh 1-2 days 38-40 and then one awful day of 50's. hopefully we can eliminate that one roaster to protect snowpack we get tomorrow nite

Don't worry about a roaster. Handle this the Jebman way: get a shovel, preferably a square edged construction shovel so you can attack the ice and pile that snow up 35 feet high! Pile it on the north side of houses, bushes, on the north facing slopes, anywhere that damned sun can't get to it!

You'll save the snowpack and be the Hero that saved the Northeast.

If I was up there I'd show you Northeasterners how to protect snowpack from a roaster. We Mid Atlantic'ers have to battle spring in the middle of winter every winter and we KNOW how to protect snowpack! 

Need deep snow shoveled? Snowblower just blew a gasket?

You know who to call.......... Jeb !!!!!!!! :snowing:  :sled:

Hell yeah! BRING IT THE HELL ON!!! I can handle northeastern blizzards! All I need is a shovel!

Scooter would the event early next week be a mix or rain?

Depends on the model. 06z GFS is a torch then follow up snow day 8. 

Euro is torch than fropa followed up a wave in la la land post day 10.

Euro ensembles are a torch too followed by something mixed near day 10.

Basically, the flow behind the warm up is confusing thanks to the cutoff in the southwest.

I think we will turn more stormy, the question we have is our cold source. This could be great for the Plains and MW..potentially here if the GEFS are right. But the Euro and now Canadian have a strong -PNA signal. 

Did you see the 06z GFS in the LR? For entertainment purposes only....that would be a very nice looking negative PNA.

06zgfs500mbheightanomal.gif

Did you see the 06z GFS in the LR? For entertainment purposes only....that would be a very nice looking negative PNA.

06zgfs500mbheightanomal.gif

Yeah that -NAO would do wonders. We'll need that. If I had to guess, I think the Canadian ensembles would be a compromise. Euro ensembles with the SW cutoff bias (it exists even in ensembles) and GEFS with the progressive bias. It does look conducive for storm threats IMHO. 

Archived